No announcement yet.

88 Mercury Marquis engine upgrade advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I won't so much argue about going mass air, but I will mention that people with GT40/40P engine swaps and the speed-density computer have very mixed results. A couple people have had modified HO motors run great, others didn't have such luck. I was one of the latter group. It runs spectacular with mass air though.

The GT40 and GT40P heads do not have air inejction ports. Nobody cares about this, its basically useless. The EGR will work just fine, provided you have an intake with the EGR passage in it. Later Explorer intakes do not have this. EGR isn't critical unless you get smog checked. Without it, you'll have higher NOx emissions. Its also good for a teensy bit of fuel economy if its working right, though I frankly doubt you'd notice it in any real way. It shuts itself off under heavy acceleration, so it doesn't cost any power either.

The plug issue is mostly a non-issue. You need the headers that are compatible with those heads and it fits like a glove. They are a little more expensive than cheap-ass headers, but frankly cheap-ass headers suck anyway. They're prone to warping or just not being made properly so they pop gaskets and leak and stuff. I have a set, and I had to get them milled flat to keep gaskets on the car. By the time I had all that done, I could have just gotten better headers that worked right out of the box. That said, having them milled turned a quarterly header gasket replacement into a job I haven't done since I rebuilt the engine last time, which was like 7 years ago.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

What about if I just rebuild the 88 original motor and swap to gt40 heads and upper and lower intake from a 96 explore would that work. And would I still need the computer

Comment

That would work, yes. But rebuild work isn't cheap, once you start trhowing in machine shop time, oversized pistons, and such.

You'll probably need the Mk7 computer with the Exploder heads and intake cause they flow more and that will likely confuse the heck out of factory computer. You'll definitely need the Mk7 computer if you use a camshaft that uses the HO firing order, regardless of actual lift/duration characteristics of that particular cam.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

There's literally a hundred threads on this. The search function is your friend.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
            What about if I just rebuild the 88 original motor and swap to gt40 heads and upper and lower intake from a 96 explore would that work. And would I still need the computer
            I'd certainly do the cam and computer if you are installing gt40 or p heads and intake. The stock cam is tiny. The HO cam is a good match to the Mark vii computer, so it stands a chance of running speed density instead of converting to MAF. The explorer cam is okay too. Ad gadget said, you may get a good runner or you may need to convert to MAF. You need the mark vii computer for the 19 lbs injectors too.

As far as rebuild - Depends on what you can find around you. All the explorers around here are dirty nasty 200k with 50k oil change interval junk for the most part. They are 15 years old, at best. If you can find a lower mileage one, go for it - it would be cheaper than a good rebuild. You'll be about 100 horses short of your goal, however. Horsepower per dollar it can't really be beat though.

300 horse at the wheels requires some money, and not just in the engine.

My previous post should have said that forged Pistons aren't needed for street naturally aspirated.
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Oh yes, if there are no decent used engines to be had then a rebuild does make sense. Still, one does need to account for everrything - it may very well end up being cheaper to buy a GOOD rebuilt short block from a place that does only that. I capitalized good cause there are some asshats out there that will sell you something that is anywhere between .020 (rebuildable again down the road) to .060 (so on its last rebuild) over, with crappy warranty, and sometimes you can't even return the thing if it's not quite what it's supposed to be. I think a member on here ended up with one such gem even...

Once you got the shortie then you have your heads redone locally, drop in whatever new (or used) cam you feel is good, and Bob's your uncle.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

One last question would the 96 upper intake fit the 88 Marquis stock lower intake when its flipped

Thanks everyone👊🏼

Comment

no. You'd need the matching lower.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Intakes are way different brother. The Explorer uses runners that are round in shape and staggered in patterm, the Panther intakes are oval runners all inline. What will work with your lower intake is the HO (Mustang, Lincoln Mk7) upper intake, that can be flipped around and used as is with its stock EGR spacere and throttle body but you'll need Mk7 or T-bird throttle and TV cables. OR you can have a Panther EGR spacer bored out to HO size and the Panther lever swapped onto the HO throttle body. Many ways to get the job done, depends on how much money or effort you wanna put into it.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                      Intakes are way different brother. The Explorer uses runners that are round in shape and staggered in patterm, the Panther intakes are oval runners all inline. What will work with your lower intake is the HO (Mustang, Lincoln Mk7) upper intake, that can be flipped around and used as is with its stock EGR spacere and throttle body but you'll need Mk7 or T-bird throttle and TV cables. OR you can have a Panther EGR spacer bored out to HO size and the Panther lever swapped onto the HO throttle body. Many ways to get the job done, depends on how much money or effort you wanna put into it.

What year would the Lincoln mk7 be and would I feel a big difference

Comment

88-92, for sure, possibly 87 as well. As far as difference, if you're keeping your facftory heads and camshaft then no, likely won't be a very noticeable difference. If you also swap heads and cam (and ECM) to the Mk7 stuff, then yes you'll notice an improvement in power.

Basically what I'm saying is it's not so much the intake that is your limiting factor, but the heads and to some extend the cam. You can throw a Flying Toilet on it if you wanted to even, but if the heads can't make use of all the air the Toilet can flow then you're pretty much in the all-show-no-go realm. And the factory Panther heads don't really flow all that well - HO stuff is an improvement, Exploder stuff is an improvement over the HO, and past that you can get into all sorts of big-money aftermarket setups.

Comment

Flying toilet? LoL what is that?
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I, too, am curious about this toilet he speaks of. I've got an idea but not sure.

Comment

I'm thinking something like this:

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Damn I wish I had that toilet.

1985 LTD Crown Vic, factory hard top, 302 soon to be gt40p headed (lightly ported & blended), summit brand stealth (port matched), stock cam, summit annular 600cfm VS, dual exhaust, 3.55 LSD, AOD, electric fan swap, tan interior.

Comment

Working...
                                X