Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by sly View Post
    sorry... 14x1.5 (metric)

also, I would probably use one of those adapters you put in-line on a radiator hose.
    They make replacement thermostat housings for Panthers that have a threaded port on the top side, its NPT when you buy it but could possibly be drilled out and re-tapped for the BMW switch.

Originally posted by magnus77 View Post
    I think this guy did what you guys are describing: http://www.gmtruckcentral.com/articles/markviii.html
    Yup, pretty much that setup, just a different fan. The MkVIII fan is a huge power hog, it moves ridicuous amounts of air tho, but may me a bit overkill for the job. Anyone tried running Tauris 2-fan assembly instead? Them are simple 2-wire single-speed motors, so you give each one its own relay and you can end up with three speeds - big fan only (this is actually the low speed one), small fan only (the high speed), and both together (the "OMFG she's about to lift a head and needs cooling right the fawk NOW" speed). Mind you the low speed alone was enough to keep my diesel in check unless I was pulling a steep grade, so IMHO it may be a good choice for a panther as well. I can verify fitment of the Taurus assembly onto a Panther radiator if someone is interested...

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
    I had one fan controller die in traffic and leave me stranded.
    I had one switch die in traffic and blow my rad.

I switched back to a mechanical fan and magically all my problems were gone. No more of that electric BS for me.
    See that's why I didn't use a fan controller with my Taurus fans. Low-speed fan was just on a manual switch, high-speed fan was on both manual switch on the dash and a temp switch on the engine. Cruising around mostly empty I could run with both fans off at speeds over 40-45 mph, when she was working harder I'd flip the low fan on, and if I knew there's a steep grade coming up I'd flip the high fan on also well in advance so I have a runnig start at it so to speak. The auto switch was there for when truck was idling for prolonged periods of time unattended, that's about the only use I ever got out of it. But point is, there were no fancy controllers involved, and if a switch died all I had to do was pop the relay off and manually jump the #30 and #87 contacts in the contact with a short piece of 12awg wire with spade connectors crimped on its ends (which I made just for that purpose, and it always lives in the glove box, actually I have more than one of those) - I wanted it as dumb and field-serviceable as possible, and it never let me down.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I don't like having to manually control my cooling system. We had automatic control in the 1920s. No need to go backwards from there. Also, I'm retarded and its a sure bet I'd forget to turn it on and cause myself problems.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I admit that I like the electric fan in my '89 Firebird. Doesn't seem to be a powerhog and always keeps the car cool despite its lack of a grille. not very noisy IMO and has never failed. Also, is it just me or does the A/C work better with an electric? In traffic the mech fan sucks for that.t
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

It helps more with R134. I've been considering adding a small electric pusher fan for AC use only. I just can't bring myself to rely on an electric for primary cooling again. I've run out of ambition to fiddle with things continually, so fans that I need to worry about a clutch change every 100k miles or so are right up my alley.
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
            I don't like having to manually control my cooling system. We had automatic control in the 1920s. No need to go backwards from there. Also, I'm retarded and its a sure bet I'd forget to turn it on and cause myself problems.
            Well I would have installed another temp switch for the low-speed low-temp fan, but I ran out of ports to put them in. Couldn't do the BMW switch either as its settings are way too cold for my needs - that engine runs at 210-215 ideally, meaning them fans would be running full speed all time and working against what I want them to do. And given that the overall pattern was simple enough (no load and flat needs no fans, load or hills needs low fan, leave high fan to the auto switch) I was okay with leaving the low fan on full manual controls. But yeah, I'd have definitely dropped in a 2nd switch if I had somewhere to install it, I like self-controlled gadgets too. Point was, no need for an electronic "controller" of dubious quality, when simple temp switches and relays can do the same thing.
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I run 2 of the hurrican force winds taurus fans each on a seperate relay triggered by my afternarket ecu but plain jane 40a relays work fine but i popped in 80a versions anyways. You could just trigger the relay(s) with a basic grounding $20 temp switch that grounds at whatever temp it's desined to do do... Have your ground wire of the relay run to 1 of those threaded into idealy an upper intake- pre-rad coolant source and you're gold.
              Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
              HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

So i bought this ford multi speed fan relay from this site:
                http://www.dccontrol.com/relay_controllers.htm
                Should solve the problem. Came in today, it's a two speed controller with a temp adjustment.
                Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20160625_184829.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.4 KB
ID:	1280375

1985 LTD Crown Vic, factory hard top, 302 soon to be gt40p headed (lightly ported & blended), summit brand stealth (port matched), stock cam, summit annular 600cfm VS, dual exhaust, 3.55 LSD, AOD, electric fan swap, tan interior.

Comment

Working...
                X