'92+ F150 Remote Mount TFI and Distributor Conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'92+ F150 Remote Mount TFI and Distributor Conversion

Last summer I started looking into the TFI Remote mount mod.
    All the information that I could find was for using the stock distributor mounted TFI module mounted in a remote location.

I gathered some information and decided that it would actually be a very easy conversion, even though it is not as cost effective as just using your stock distributor and TFI since you have the extra cost of a new distributor and TFI (got mine from the JY, so it wasn't too expensive).

For starters https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...o&opi=89978449 is a good read if you want to know the difference between the 4 different types of TFI modules that Ford made over the years.

And a couple of diagrams that are floating around in every corner of the internet. These copies were posted by SeattleFSB at supermoters.net.

Stock Panther distributor mounted TFI diagram:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	tfi-module-schematic--gray-distributor-mount.jpg Views:	3 Size:	51.5 KB ID:	1303329

Stock 92+ F150 with stock remote mount TFI diagram:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	tfi-module-schematic--gray-remote-mount.jpg Views:	1 Size:	44.7 KB ID:	1303330

Parts I used for my swap:
    • 92+ F150 5.0 Distributor
    • Connector and wires from the F150 that plugs into the distributor
    • TFI with heat-sink from the F150
    • Wire harness with TFI connector from a 1989 Town Car, with as much wiring as I could get (optional if you use your stock connector and make your own harness)
    • Optional mounting bracket from an early 90's Cougar/T-Bird to mount the heat-sink to
    • Optional old TFI module to gut and use as a connector to make the harness plug-and-play
    • Optional wire shielding from old coax cable, since the stock shielding on my TC harness was flaky in places
      Shielding is not optional, but replacing the stock shielding is optional if he stock shield is good.

And the diagram I made for the conversion harness. Unlike the other diagrams above I do not have the shielding in the diagram but did note that it should be there.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Panther_Remote-Mount-TFI-Distributor-Swap.png Views:	1 Size:	150.1 KB ID:	1303331
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 01-23-2024, 02:35 PM. Reason: Updated broken link from TFI_grey_or_black.html to PDF of the old page. Clarified shielding is not optional, but replacing good stock shielding is optional.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

You should put shielding in there. Reynolds Wrap aluminum foil works perfect for that.

Comment

Found my pictures of my harness before I was finished. In addition to the stock shielding I used shielding from old coax cable I had laying around.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151222_025406061.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	1279064Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151222_025418151.jpg
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	1279065

The wiring that goes to the distributor connector is already in the wire loom in the picture but it has the same stock shielding and coax shield. For anyone doing any kind of TFI relocation the shielding of some sort is required on the wires indicated in the first two diagrams in my first post.

Also the wiring to my distributor connector is way longer than it needs to be, it only needs to be at most a quarter of what I have.

So far I've had this installed since last weekend and haven't had any issues with it.
      Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-17-2016, 10:55 PM.
      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Pretty neat mod. I was at once point considering doing that, only the super-lazy way by keeping the factory dizzy and making up a 3-wire (shielded) harness to connect the factory dizzy to the relocated factory TFI module. Never did go thru with it tho, and your setup is nicer and more prower anyways. Care to throw in some pics of the actual completed job, with the new TFI location and all that?
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
          Pretty neat mod. I was at once point considering doing that, only the super-lazy way by keeping the factory dizzy and making up a 3-wire (shielded) harness to connect the factory dizzy to the relocated factory TFI module. Never did go thru with it tho, and your setup is nicer and more prower anyways. Care to throw in some pics of the actual completed job, with the new TFI location and all that?
          Yeah, I realized last night that I didn't actually get any pics, all I got was a roughly 30 second video of my embarrassingly dirty and noisy engine bay. I'll get some pics this evening but here's the crappy cell phone video:
          http://vid45.photobucket.com/albums/...psbyxtaazv.mp4

The mounting orientation isn't the best but I'll probably change that at some point.
          Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-18-2016, 08:42 AM.
          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I don't see any gains coming from this?

I actually took a lot of time to find a 351w distributor with the TFI module on it, because I didn't want to have another box laying my engine bay and wiring going to said box.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
            The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
            It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Honestly I have to agree with gadget in that the stock TFI setup isn't as big of a problem as it's made out to be as he has said in a few other threads. In fact when I was having "TFI problems" problems last summer I'm pretty sure it wasn't the TFI at all. After swapping multiple TFI modules the problem (stalling while driving when hot and not being able to start until cooled down) didn't go away. One module did introduce another problem, but that's a different story. So I swapped a whole dizzy in and the problem finally went away, so I suspect it was actually the pickup.

The only gain I can see in doing this, or any other form of TFI relocation, is in troubleshooting "TFI problems" you can rule out the TFI as being the actual problem a little easier. Ford thought it was a worthwhile change, but wasn't there a class action lawsuit involving the dizzy mounted TFI modules? My '89 that I ran as my DD for nearly a decade had the TFI on the dizzy, and it didn't give me loads of trouble like a lot of people suggest the stock setup does.

Edit: The main idea of any TFI relocation is to put it somewhere with less heat so the it is less prone to failure (however prone it may or may not be).
              Last edited by VicCrownVic; 03-18-2016, 09:17 AM.
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

It does eliminate the potential heat failure problems. That might be more of an issue on some applications than others though. It can get you some clearance if you're doing goofy things with engine accessories too.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Pics of the actual install yet?
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Crap, I forgot to get pictures. The only thing I got was the crappy video in an earlier post (the post where I said I would get pictures that evening).
                    The car is now living an hour away from me at the moment, but I should be back up there again next weekend so I'll try to get some shots.
                    Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

As someone who drove Tauruses for nearly a decade, the TFI Mountjoy mounted on the distributor and evil couldn't harne as someone who drove Tauruses for nearly a decade, the TFI mountEd on the distributor caused many issues. For Tauruses it was due to the high under the hood temperature and hardly any airflow across the TFI and distributor this caused premature failure and many issues for many people
                      -Nick M.
                      Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                      03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Even early Thunderturds/Cougars had remote TFI's... From what I've been reading here lately it's more often the pick-up than the TFI though. Glad I got me a spare, seems anyone who is going to drive a box should keep at least one spare dizzy handy.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

94 and 95 mustangs got the remote mount crap. I've seen people have a lot of problems with the dizzy mounted ones. Oddly enough, at least not yet. I haven't.

Comment

I ran my '89 for nearly a decade and never had a problem until the summer before I parked it, but since I swapped a whole dizzy in I'm not sure if it was the TFI. The problems I had with the blue '91 last summer were narrowed to the PIP and not the TFI.

These panthers actually seem to get a pretty good amount of air from the fan in that area. I once had a pinhole leak in a bypass hose that only leaked when I hit the throttle, and when I hit the throttle it blew that coolant to the back of the engine bay. Although I can see a Cougar or Taurus not getting enough air to to the TIF/Dizzy.

I suppose another benefit of relocating the TFI could be that the dizzy will no longer have the TFI attached so all that air the rad fan is pushing at the dizzy will go right to the dizzy housing instead of the dizzy basically being insulated by the TFI. I don't know how significantly the dizzy is insulated by the TFI. If the TFI does significantly insulate the dizzy then the TFI relocation may actually benefit the dizzy/PIP more than it actually benefits the TFI.
                            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                              Pics of the actual install yet?
                              I got a few pics earlier today, I wasn't thinking and should have re-positioned the car since some of the pics came out way too dark to see anything.

Here are the pics that aren't too dark to see:

Stock panther TIF location:

Name:	20160416_140430.jpg
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	1279959

Name:	20160416_140420.jpg
Size:	107.2 KB
ID:	1279958

Stock F150 distributor connector:

Name:	20160416_140404.jpg
Size:	106.3 KB
ID:	1279957

Stock panther TFI harness connects to my gutted TFI module which is the connector for my extension harness:

Name:	20160416_140522.jpg
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	1279960

My remote mounted TFI on the right side:

Name:	20160416_140632.jpg
Size:	74.4 KB
ID:	1279961
                              Vic