No announcement yet.

88 Marquis big brake and suspension upgrade advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Checked oreillys and they have pressisions ball joints are they better than moog the one in bottom is lower
    http://m.oreillyauto.com/mt/www.orei...0317&ppt=C0106

And this is upper for the 98

Comment

Also I checked online and the 1998 brake are duel piston how would the factory 88 line fit it that what the adapter is for

Comment

Originally posted by Elias View Post
        Also I checked online and the 1998 brake are duel piston how would the factory 88 line fit it that what the adapter is for
        And some say that u need the brake line from a non abs car. How would I know if it has abs or if it doesn't have abs

Comment

You need new 98 brake hoses that attach to the dual piston calipers. These brake hoses require the use of the adaptors (noted above) if you are keeping the stock hard lines from the proportioning valve.

And some say that u need the brake line from a non abs car. How would I know if it has abs or if it doesn't have abs
          Passenger side brake hoses are the same abs or not. The drivers side NON ABS brake hoses have two fittings (it tees off to feed the passengers side) on them where as the abs lines have just one.

Are you purchasing this stuff from a junkyard/upull type? If so ABS vehicles have a pump with a bunch of brake lines coming out of it. NON ABS vehicle do not have that.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Checked oreillys and they have pressisions ball joints are they better than moog the one in bottom is lower

And this is upper for the 98

Ask the store folks who makes these "Precison"-brand ball joints. I know the AZ stores have a list at the back desk of what item in their house brand is made by what manufacturer - for example Duralast ball joints could be Moog, Duralast tie rod ends TRW, Duralast electrical switches Wells, and so on. Not saying those are the exact manufacturers for the exact parts, just giving an example.

Btw Google comes up empty when I tried looking up those "Precision" ball joints. So I'd be tempted to use Moog just for the lack of info on the other brand. Some people say the Precision you get in NAPA is made by Dana, but is it the same stuff you get at O'Reily idk.
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Yes I will be buy the stuff from A junkyard and does it matter if the calipers are from a car with abs or not

And I appreciate everyone for all the help Ima be going Wednesday to get some parts.

Comment

Calipers are the same.
                ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Don't buy used brake parts.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Ditto,

Unless you find a gem, something with brandy new calipers and rotors. Buy those new new/reman. Rock Auto mang.

Upper arms, spindle, hubs, caliper brackets, upgraded sway bar, & the lower arms if you want to prep them before you take the old ones out. These are what you want used. Maybe not even the hubs.

Did I leave anything out?
                    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
                    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
                    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
                    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I actually do have used hubs on mine. They're easy enough to test and find good ones used though. If it spins smooth and quiet, its fine. They get grumbly when they are not good.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I had jy hubs on my Big brake swapped Vic. They lasted a few years until one side got angry:

I replaced both with new moog units. Life is good.
                        ~David~

Comment

Everything for my big brake swap came used from a state patrol car, and I mean everything but the upper control arm bushings, which I did get new. But I still used the pads that came with the spindles.
                          Everything is still on there and working just fine, and that was a few years ago now.
                          Since the swap I have replaced the pads but that's about it.
                          I did check it all out before pulling the parts, they looked good, maybe I just got lucky and the car had been serviced not long before it was hit in the rear?
                          Last edited by mcninetyone; 03-20-2016, 07:53 PM.

Comment

If the parts are in really good shape, then it might be OK, but it would really have to look fresh. A lot of stuff I see in the yards just isn't worth re-using, though you do occasionally find stuff with what are obviously recent brake jobs.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                              Moog has been somewhat flakey lately, unfortunately their prices did not change to reflect that.
                              Where are their products made now?
                              '79 Continental Town Car
                              '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                              '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

The parts that I will be getting from the junkyard are
                                Upper and lower arms
                                Spindle
                                Brake caliper bracket (the one that hold it)
                                And I think the hubs would be fine but I'll check
                                Also the sway bar I was thinking that maybe it would be better than the 88 but not sure.

Comment

Working...
                                X