Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What product to use on the roof?

Hey Guys,

Just wondering what product to use on the roof of '70's barges? It's not the same as the '80's vinyl tops. There's no real cushion under what looks to be fake alligator skin. Do you use the same stuff as the later models?

Also, anyone know if there's any issues with removing the top? I know with the panther ones, there's an ugly weld spot in the rear C pillar. Mine is "okay" now but I can tell in the next few years, it might start looking ratty just from age.

Thanks in advance!

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Is it also vinyl like? If so that Aerospace 303 stuff is what I'd recommend. Without pics and no firsthand experience with barges it's hard to give a solid recommendation.. Despite it not having padding like the 80's stuff the 303 would probably still do the job. I use it on my box ever 3-5 weeks. I also use that stuff on the weatherstripping too.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Mine pretty much just fell off on my old 77. Bunch of holes to fill and the C pillar needed some help.

2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        Is it also vinyl like? If so that Aerospace 303 stuff is what I'd recommend. Without pics and no firsthand experience with barges it's hard to give a solid recommendation.. Despite it not having padding like the 80's stuff the 303 would probably still do the job. I use it on my box ever 3-5 weeks. I also use that stuff on the weatherstripping too.
        Yeah it's vinyl like. Seems harder though. Not plush at all.

Here's what the roof looks like:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20151229_150128.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	236.0 KB
ID:	1279089

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
        Mine pretty much just fell off on my old 77. Bunch of holes to fill and the C pillar needed some help.
        Hmm. Yeah mine doesn't seem like it has that much glue underneath holding it on either. Good to know removing it shouldn't be an issue. I took a look at your pic (had to open it in a new tab) and it doesn't look that bad under there. From what I see, the paint is a little busted on the c pillar and the holes appear to be from the trim. I guess if I were to keep the trim on the car, without the roof, I wouldn't need to fill all those holes right?

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

303 will work for that but like you said, it's a tougher material. I still think that even with the creams we're only delaying the inevitable if anything at all.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Its vinyl, but not padded vinyl. Might be closer to Naugahyde, which is basically vinyl over a cloth. Same sort of products work on it.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Perfect! Thanks guys. I'll pick up some 303.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
              X