No announcement yet.

1984 Country Squire the USS Drift Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the advice guys. I will be looking into 92-97 rears then.

The bearing play is horrible on mine. There is no doubt that it has an excessive amount of travel laterally. But mine currently has the lsd diff and 11'' brakes so it locks up wheels like nothing. And I live in metro area of NY, just outside the city. So I do get pretty crazy winters and rain storms. (On that thought, I should also get the undercarriage protected before next winter.)

I also read somewhere on here that some year rears bolt right in, down to the brake line fittings being the same. Is that true?

Comment

Up to 89 has drum brakes and are shorter. The 90-91 and are wider but have drums. 92 -97 are the same width as 90-91 but all have disk brakes. 98 and up have different attachment points but can be made to work.

89 and down are the easiest swap but no upgrades. 90-91 are just as easy to swap but still have drums you just get the increased width.

Too bad the timing is off as I just got a low mile 1988 3.08 posi that I wont need but it is not ready to come out of the vehicle yet as it needs to roll.
      Last edited by jaywish; 03-25-2016, 05:26 PM.
      03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
      02 SL500 Silver Arrow
      08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
      12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Would this get me by while I look for another rear end?

https://lmr.com/item/LRS-1563RB-K/19...g-And-Seal-Kit

Comment

See alternative #3 in my earlier post.
          03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
          02 SL500 Silver Arrow
          08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
          12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Still making progress, still trucking along, but the going is getting tough.

I was finally able to adjust the transmission to behave itself and start shifting properly. Now I'm facing a horrible lugging hesitation under load. The engine just completely loses all momentum and motivation when it senses a hill coming up. I either have to drop it into the low gear, or wait patiently as it gets up to speed. Upon investigation I found out that the 'new' spark plugs that the PO put in turned out to be Autolites. So in my future I already see spark plugs, cap and rotor, fuel filter, and maybe more things.

Paid a visit to the one and only WagonMan, cool guy, and picked myself up a headlight bezel, looking much more mint now. He showed me his wagons and his Mopars and we hung our and had a chat, it was a good day.

I also did some shopping around for the t5 swap parts, they were a lot easier to find then I had expected. The only thing I'm missing is an early panther brake pedal box assembly so that I can put together a clutch setup on the bench without screwing around with my current pedals and disabling the car by accident.

As I'm sitting here I'm thinking to myself, 'why don't I just swap in a mustang 5.0 with a t5 hanging off, along with the harness and ECU and such?'. Seems like an easier job then trying to convert this CFI to SEFI and sit there for weeks trying to figure out why it doesn't fire on the 3rd and 6th cylinders. Seriously, why won't a Mustang engine swap work? And if it won't work then what are the parts I should snag from the Mustang? Because I have a lot of Foxes being parted out around me right now.

In short, I am currently looking for:

-early panther brake pedal box
            -SEFI swap parts
            -hood ornament (custom ideas?)
            -Mustang parts
            -16in wheels and tires

P.S.

Almost forgot that I, being an orangutan, managed to break a perfectly good hood ornament by slamming the hood down on top of it. Which brought up an important discussion with a friend of mine, is this even the original hood ornament?

Click image for larger version

Name:	12948392_1287502151264636_1072870615_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	1279919Click image for larger version

Name:	12952976_1287502137931304_1906160845_o.jpg
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	1279920Click image for larger version

Name:	12962663_1287502067931311_1305436620_o.jpg
Size:	59.9 KB
ID:	1279921Click image for larger version

Name:	12980795_1287502057931312_1621526194_o.jpg
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	1279922Click image for larger version

Name:	12941207_1287502047931313_1638600528_o.jpg
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	1279923Click image for larger version

Name:	12959516_1287502144597970_2081755490_o.jpg
Size:	81.8 KB
ID:	1279924

Comment

Originally posted by Master Shake View Post
              Almost forgot that I, being an orangutan, managed to break a perfectly good hood ornament by slamming the hood down on top of it. Which brought up an important discussion with a friend of mine, is this even the original hood ornament?
              I think someone swapped an older hood ornament onto yours. From looking through photos, I think that might have been a '79-'80 one. The '81-'87s all have the large crest style ornament.

Here's a NOS one that's not too insanely priced: NOS Ornament
              Or alternatively a used one from a '85 (cheapest I saw): Used Ornament

I also found a 'LTD' styled one, you'd just have to swap the spring and wire hook so it would work correctly. The best part, it's NOS and the cheapest: LTD Ornament
              Last edited by Kodachrome Wolf; 04-08-2016, 12:59 AM.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

The bases the ornament sits in are different. Full ornaments will swap over if unscrewing them from the underside of the header panel. The last suggestion above will work though as they are the same.

Your ornament is not the stock one.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Yeah, definitely looks that way. It's okay though, WagonMan has the one I need, whenever I decided to swing by again.

Also, with Pete's help, finally found out that this wagon is a K code car. So 100amp alternator and 3.55s and such. Neat.

Comment

Ouch broke the old ltd hood ornament! That is an early one. I wonder if someone swapped the ornament or maybe it had a header panel swap at some point (how my 88 ended up with 91 clears).

Wonder if your cats are stopped up?
                    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Could be, not sure how I can check that, though.

But the damn thing seems to be running stupid-rich. It bogs down really hard on uphill acceleration, and the mufflers are popping after I let off the throttle. And recently it did 112 miles on a full tank. Irritating doesn't really describe it.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Shake View Post
                        Could be, not sure how I can check that, though.

But the damn thing seems to be running stupid-rich. It bogs down really hard on uphill acceleration, and the mufflers are popping after I let off the throttle. And recently it did 112 miles on a full tank. Irritating doesn't really describe it.
                        Assuming the wagon has a 20 gallon tank, and you filled up with around 5 gallons or so left, you're getting ~7.5 MPG. I'd expect that from a Barge LTD or something. From what I'm seeing online, the original factory claimed MPG was 15 city / 21 highway. I'm not holding these numbers to an exact standard, but at least a premise of where you should be. Obviously that isn't the case.

Are there any vacuum leaks you're aware of? If the car is running that rich that you're burning up all that gas, something is way out of spec unless you're flooring it all day doing 90 MPH.

My Cars:
                        -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                        -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                        -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                        -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

EFI wagons have 18.5 gallons. When I took it below the E line it filled up with 16.something gallons. All my driving has so far been below 50mph. I don't trust these tires to hold up at highway speeds. I can't spot any vacuum leaks. But the amount of vacuum lines is terrifying. I really should sit down one day and go through all the lines and see where they all go.

Comment

Vacuum on these cars ain't as scary as it is on some Japanese cars!!!
                            -Nick M.
                            Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                            03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Alright guys, news time.

Attempted to fix the axle and bearing issues. It got better and worse at the same time. I'll get into details later.

Now, I found a rear end locally from a 92-97 car with abs. Really thinking of picking it up. I understand that brake lines have to be re-worked, I can deal with that. What about the driveshaft flange? Will it bolt up from my 84? I really want to make this a quick swap so I would like to have all the parts on hand before I start digging. Any help is appreciated.

Comment

Try throwing a MAP sensor at it for the fuel econ. Our 454 w/o overdrive & 4.10's is getting better MPG than that wagon lol.
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                                X