No announcement yet.

1984 Country Squire the USS Drift Wood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The flange my not match. If not, get a later flange from a later driveshaft. There are universals that have two sizes on them so serve as an adapter.

Is the later housing loaded with a posi carrier? If not eventually your current carrier can be swapped in. If the new one is posi you may want to keep your old carrier as they are not making any more stock units in 28 spline.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Thanks Jaywish

Comment

Edit didn't read page two

There should be a conversion u joint.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
          Vacuum on these cars ain't as scary as it is on some Japanese cars!!!
          Seriously. Been watching retro Motorweek videos on YouTube recently and their shit was horrible. Not to mention the fit & finish was no better that what we made yet those cars still got praise for "Japanese Quality."
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Alright so it's been a very busy and eventful few...whatever it was, days, weeks? Many annoying adventures were had and many ideas were thought of.

The biggest catastrophe were the tires. They were so damn old and dry rotted that they literally started falling apart. The cracks in the sidewalls got deep enough to leak air. I resorted to using a spare, but if another one goes it's the end of the road. I abandoned my search for Mustang wheels and settled on ordering a set of tires for my 14s just to keep the car running. Hell, it's one less thing to go wrong now.

Next were the trans cooler lines. They were so damn old and dry rotted that they literally started falling apart. (I'm noticing a pattern here) The hoses were soaked in trans fluid that they were perspiring out. Went to the local auto parts store and bought a 6 feet of 3/8th rubber line. Immediately I did not like the fact that the hose felt really loose on the metal lines. Nevertheless I modestly tightened up the clamps and gave it a crank. The entire engine bay turned into a scene form a Quentin Tarantino movie with all the 'blood' gushing out. I sedated the beast and set on re-tightening the clamps. After engaging the full Orangutan-mode I was able to tighten down the clamps to the point where they didn't leak anymore. Good enough. This AOD is not long for this car anyway. It's getting a T5 slapped under it with or without a clutch pedal. Screw it, I'll rev-match every gear change.

Back to the bearings from the previous post. My initial condition was that the right rear wheel was making a growling noise going down the road, and gear oil was coming out of the seal. After removing the axles I found that the car already had axle saving bearings installed AND they have already chewed up right side axle. So, just to be absolutely positive that the axle and bearing combination was the source of the noise, I replaced the right side bearing and put the left side axle on the right. I put the right side axle on the left and ran out of time so I had to leave the presumed-good bearing in place. I think I went a little too generous on the bearing grease and drum adjustment because after I set off the grease sprayed all over the drum and the shoes were pretty much fully engaged. Of course I didn't notice it until I came home from a highway test drive and found my left drum smoking. I took the wheel off and set for about half hour watching the drum cool down, making sure it didn't catch fire or something. I cleaned the drum off next day and re-adjusted the shoes next day. Surprisingly, it's been over a week now and the growling noise still hasn't returned. Going to call this one, good enough.

And most fun of all is the fact that I now have coolant coming down the back of the block. I talked to some of my Mustang folks and they suggested that I might be the lower intake manifold leaking. I will have to investigate that.

Still wondering what I'm going to do with this sadistic CFI system. I can't seem to be able to find full EFI donors with all the parts intact, and I can't seem to get any solid write-ups on it. I have no doubt that it's not terribly hard to figure out, but I cannot afford to have this car down while I'm chasing wire down. Also thinking about completely skipping Vic EFI and going straight to Mustang EFI setup. Not sure what that involve, or how different things are, but I will be looking into that unless I can find a parts donor soon.

But you know what? After all that went down, I laid on the hood my car, depressed, thinking if I made the right purchase and if this thing is just going to be a complete waste of time and effort. I went into the locked room of the shop to wash my hands and get my belongings and head home. When I came out, it was like it saw it for the first time again, and damn if it didn't look like the sexiest car in the world. In that moment, everything was okay.

This thing will be the death of me.

Click image for larger version

Name:	13091736_1300258579988993_1505837896_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1280049Click image for larger version

Name:	13106498_1300258483322336_1751558839_o.jpg
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1280050Click image for larger version

Name:	13105861_1300258389989012_468388464_o.jpg
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	1280051Click image for larger version

Name:	13106536_1300258373322347_61268374_o.jpg
Size:	57.6 KB
ID:	1280052Click image for larger version

Name:	13072227_1300258303322354_526909883_o.jpg
Size:	95.3 KB
ID:	1280053Click image for larger version

Name:	13112450_1300258186655699_599114178_o.jpg
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	1280054

Comment

Originally posted by Master Shake View Post
              But you know what? After all that went down, I laid on the hood my car, depressed, thinking if I made the right purchase and if this thing is just going to be a complete waste of time and effort. I went into the locked room of the shop to wash my hands and get my belongings and head home. When I came out, it was like it saw it for the first time again, and damn if it didn't look like the sexiest car in the world. In that moment, everything was okay.

It's a 32 year old car that clearly did not get the best treatment over the last few years. You're probably the best thing that has happened to it. Getting old cars back up to par can be a pain in the ass when things just seem to keep breaking, but once you're done, you can stay ahead of that curve with preventive maintenance. Any non-enthusiast or someone not as involved would have probably already derbied it or scrapped it.

Keep up the good work. Soon you'll have everything the way you want it.

My Cars:
              -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
              -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
              -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
              -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Sometimes old cars are like depressed people. They are very happy to just mope around and do nothing. Forcing them to work again is an uphill battle. But most of the the time, after they get out and do a little bit, they realize they can and that it feels good. Then they are good to go.

Sounds like yours is reaching that good to go phase.

I remember after painting my 88 and doing a full tune up, the rear seal on the intake manifold gave up the ghost. Oil went everywhere. Then the water pump let go. But after that, it's been clear sailing.

My car leaks coolant between the head and the block. It's not much - no enough to drip to the ground. But a little seepage. I said screw it and am leaving it until it gets worse.

You have a freeze plug on the back of that head that could be culprit also.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Put on new tires and changed the oil. Un-suprsingly those things did not fix the hesitation issue. But both the car and I feel much more confident driving on the highway. It's something.

Click image for larger version

Name:	13095855_1303167829698068_4749032554235612472_n.jpg
Size:	74.2 KB
ID:	1280075Click image for larger version

Name:	13139290_1303167796364738_4777406530833283853_n.jpg
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	1280076

Comment

Needs to have a 5 speed and be completely stock otherwise.

Then again, ever boat needs the ability to be rowed.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

That is a sweet-looking car. EFI swap, exhaust, maybe wheels and leave it alone. It'll pop up with little problems here and there, but these cars are a labor of love, and that's exactly what she'll ask of you.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
                        That is a sweet-looking car. EFI swap, exhaust, maybe wheels and leave it alone. It'll pop up with little problems here and there, but these cars are a labor of love, and that's exactly what she'll ask of you.
                        Big girls always need love.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Yeah the T5 swap is currently in R&D phase. Top priority for me to to not go hacking away at the firewall and the dash rail, with my orangutan ways it would spell disaster.

Just came back from a junkyard run and pulled a bunch of EFI stuff off of a 90 Vic. Intakes, harness, fuel rails with hard lines, dizzy and etc. We'll see how it goes.

BUT most importantly, gentlemen. I finally got the engine to behave itself under load. A buddy and I decided to fool around with a timing light for a little bit and found out that the timing was advanced to all hell. We managed to set it back properly and took it for a ride. Man what a difference. The car has acceleration now, it can handle itself under load. I finally get to feel what it's like to drive a proper V8 Land Yacht. The damn thing limped it's way 135 miles to the junkyard and then absolutely steam rolled past everything on the way back. The damn thing cruises at 75 like it's nothing. And oh my god the fuel economy is through the roof. Not sure of an exact number but last time I managed 112 miles to a full tank in the city, but today it drove 135 miles on the highway and it's just above 3/4s full. This is nuts.

Today was a good day.

Comment

Originally posted by Master Shake View Post
                            Yeah the T5 swap is currently in R&D phase. Top priority for me to to not go hacking away at the firewall and the dash rail, with my orangutan ways it would spell disaster.

Just came back from a junkyard run and pulled a bunch of EFI stuff off of a 90 Vic. Intakes, harness, fuel rails with hard lines, dizzy and etc. We'll see how it goes.

BUT most importantly, gentlemen. I finally got the engine to behave itself under load. A buddy and I decided to fool around with a timing light for a little bit and found out that the timing was advanced to all hell. We managed to set it back properly and took it for a ride. Man what a difference. The car has acceleration now, it can handle itself under load. I finally get to feel what it's like to drive a proper V8 Land Yacht. The damn thing limped it's way 135 miles to the junkyard and then absolutely steam rolled past everything on the way back. The damn thing cruises at 75 like it's nothing. And oh my god the fuel economy is through the roof. Not sure of an exact number but last time I managed 112 miles to a full tank in the city, but today it drove 135 miles on the highway and it's just above 3/4s full. This is nuts.

Today was a good day.
                            Toss those intakes and get a set of explorer GT40 ones and a lightning spacer.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Awesome! Where exactly are you located?

I'd be interested in helping this wagon out!

This thing is sweet!
                              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I love this thing so much I nominated it for POTM
                                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                                X