Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On3 Turbo

Hey guys,

Anyone have any experience with the On3 Turbo's? I have the opportunity to grab a 70mm one in pretty nice condition for a 250$ (CAD). Might consider going down that route in the future so I figured might as well start collecting parts until then. Should I pull the trigger? I can find inter-coolers pretty cheap so the biggest issue would be fabbing the exhaust.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20151030_222040_resized_9.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.2 KB
ID:	1303346Click image for larger version

Name:	20151030_222057_resized_9.jpg
Size:	89.3 KB
ID:	1303347Click image for larger version

Name:	20151030_222108_resized_9.jpg
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	1303348

Cheers

1985 LTD Crown Vic, factory hard top, 302 soon to be gt40p headed (lightly ported & blended), summit brand stealth (port matched), stock cam, summit annular 600cfm VS, dual exhaust, 3.55 LSD, AOD, electric fan swap, tan interior.

Far as I know it's a cheap china man turbo like any old eBay special. No reason it couldn't be made to work. I'd throw it on a JY 4.8/5.3 and enjoy some real power.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Come on Pantera, did you have to be the "LS Swap It!" guy? Dang. In answer to the OP, ON3 turbos ARE cheap chinaman turbos but have been used to great effect on many things. Talk to the mustang guys on corral for info, but a lot of them run the kits. You could get the piping from ON3 and save yourself a lot of trouble as most of it would fit pretty easily with minimal modification. Depending on what happens in the next couple months with my brother's mustang project, I may be messing with an ON3 kit. If you can piece it together cheap, do it I'd say.

Comment

The 70mm's are typical Ebay, cheap Chinese bullshit. The only thing worth a damn about On3 is their custom in house parts. But many say that their customer service blows too.. I wouldn't know though.

The 70 specifically has known to be either hit or miss with quality. Functional or complete garbage, one shop said that they've had 15 70mm On3 turbo kits go through them and 9/15 were trash.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
        The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
        It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Yea I decided to pass, i've been reading read similar things. Thanks.

1985 LTD Crown Vic, factory hard top, 302 soon to be gt40p headed (lightly ported & blended), summit brand stealth (port matched), stock cam, summit annular 600cfm VS, dual exhaust, 3.55 LSD, AOD, electric fan swap, tan interior.

Comment

Hot ticket would be to get pipework and junk from ON3 and buy a good turbo from elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by knucklehead0202 View Post
              Hot ticket would be to get pipework and junk from ON3 and buy a good turbo from elsewhere.
              Yup.

But the pipes don't fit our cars.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
              The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
              It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

I think the point was to get a bunch of straights and bends and patch them together to fit. Use the cheap pipe, but get a good turbo.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yuppers, that kit at least does some of the work for you. I'm no fabricator so the more shit I can bolt on, the better. Would really love to snag an old DDMI or INCON twin kit. Would be totally awesome on our cars.

Comment

Yea, I'm debating on whether I should start saving for a 408w build (proper one) or a junkyard 351w build. I've seen lots of thread with people running a turbo on stock 351's with better hardware on the bottom end, easily making 550+ hp/tq.

Comment

Magnus77 that is a beautiful car! That's a tough decision... 351 turbo or 408 stroker!?

I say turbo tho if you have the know how! Make that box run!
                      Wide open until you see God, then BRAKE
                      sigpic

Comment

The kits are not that bad butthe turbos need up grading. Myself would go twin turbos from a Mercury Mercur (sp) or turbo Tbird recoment the later years withthe water cooled turbine housings. Probably have to ditch the AC move the battery to the trunk move the windshield / overflow tank and remove the inner fender wells which would be melted away and possibly catch fire. Set up would be an easy 500 ft lbs of torq. Best not to cfrank it much over 5200 RPM with no more that 10 psi boost without a lot of engine mods. Keep gears like 3.08 these turbos match up well wit ha 302.
                        Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

408w turbo!
                          Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

I have researched a turbo 347 a lot and have already started investing,I have read a lot of mustang guys saying that on windsor blocks anything over 500hp/20psi boost its just a matter of time before you split the block right down the middle of the lifter valley.I have seen several pics of this,but again I do not know firsthand,anyone else heard of or experienced this?I might just rebuild my bored e7te block for now(once I get it back that is)and continue to gather parts and try to Aquirea dart block.

Comment

351 blocks are much stronger so that's something to think about. If you're going 8.2 deck block, either run low boost or an aftermarket block. Your experience may vary but boost + stock block generally = kablooey!

Comment

Working...
                              X