No announcement yet.

On3 Turbo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've always been a fan of high torque low rpm stump pullers which can be done on a stock 302 block under boost within reason. Keep the rpm down and boost reasonable and it'll live. Think more like making the 302 act like a mild big block and not a race machine. Just my two cents
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
    1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

10 psi of boost will make power more like a stockish engine twice its size a 302 would run like a 604. At Schwitzer were i WAS DESIGNING TURBOS we built several engines for ford we usally dropped the compression to 7.5 ish a high lift low duration cam different rate valve springs on inatke compaired to exhaust. Kept the rpm down to around 5200 and used low gearing like 3.08.
      Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Heard nothing but good things about all their recent offerings (5yrs or so). China makes just about everything for everything we have these days and made in china doesn't mean anything any more. We own the company, tooling, designs and quality standards... We just get them to do the labour and they have a higher IQ than north americans so that don't hurt. Cheep vs expensive generally still means something but only generally any more.

For what it's worth when I get the dart 408 done it will likely see a pair of the ON3 70mm's or a big single. Frozenboost makes really nice intercoolers at a still decent price. What I would do for the stock blocks to be able to hold more power...
        Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
        HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

C'mon turbo2256b, we've already been though this, please stop posting incorrect information and outright lies as fact. You know not of what you speak and you have claimed to be Bob Natkin, which you're not, everyone here knows you as "David"...and no, that's not the real Bob Natkin's middle name or anything of that sort...oh yeah, the Bob Natkin you claim to be, he NEVER worked for schwitzer...the worst thing you can do is give me false information about yourself then tell me to "look you up". Across every forum you are on, people have the exact same problem with your nonsense...even in boating forums! C'mon guy, you can drop the act and stop the tall tales.

Before this gets deleted or I get banned, isn't what he's doing the real problem? I'm just calling out the nonsense in an effort to better the forums and hopefully have the flow of false information and, at times, outright lies reduced.
          '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Never claimed to be Bob Natkin but I was the one who tried to direct him to using direct injection instead of using an injector to blow air directly into the cylinder. He told me direct injection was a stupid idea. I also tried to promote the use of turbos at Ford but with all the issues that were resolved near the end of turbo tbird production the warrantys paid out on the early ones they became politically incorrect in the minds of Ford management.
            Possibly its you for some unknown reason poising my reputation. You are sounding like the bad one. Sorry if your life is about bashing bulling and trying to ruin my life.
            Did I WORK FOR sCHWITZER yes twice before my military service then afterwards.

Comment

Touche, a person who has used any form of boost, never mind designs them would at the very least know atmosphere... Even with zero parasitic losses or zero raised intake temps it would take 14.7psi to double power. All the rest of the info is close but not close enough.

A turbo cooled with water would be interesting.

We aren't made of money but we scrape up all we can to put into our passion, the worst thing you can do is spread mis-information backed by false credentials to us looking to see where our precious dollars should go. The said individual stands out so much is because everyone here either says what they know or says they don't know when they don't... which is the cats ass.
              Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
              HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

Have fun with this a lot easier than when it was done by hand before computer apps.
                Suppose a 150 cu in engine output around 100 hp + or - usually less. compare to a 302 (twice the size) putting out 160 HP up to 225 HP see were the boost pressure ends up. Just use the typ inputs for for bsfc , af, peak rpm use 5200, intercooler temp 130 etc.

Kinda difficult to go with double the size of a 302 as there are not any 600s that are built say to similar performance of factory 302 most are built for racing not stock street

https://www.rbracing-rsr.com/calcboost.html

Some also depends on wether a turbo set up is set up for HP or torq. A 460 in a 68 Tbird we did at Schwitzer delivered from ford had 375 HP after turbo installed by us it still had 375 HP but 800 ft lbs of torq
                Last edited by turbo2256b; 06-30-2016, 05:02 PM.

Comment

http://www.turbobygarrett.com/turbob...pressure_ratio

a little info on air pressure vs boost

Comment

One of the early turbo warranty issues was cool down time . People wouldnt allow for cool down which would fry the oil in the bearing housing destroying the turbo. So Ford finialy gave in in the ast years to water cooled bearing housings fixing the last of the warranty issues as cool down was not as necessary.

My marine turbos have water cooled turbine hsgs so the fiberglass dosent melt or wood catch fire a USCG rule all exhaust has to be waterjacketed

Comment

Originally posted by turbo2256b View Post
                      Never claimed to be Bob Natkin....
                      Actually you did, I have the link where you said, specifically, "my name is Bob Natkin" and proceeded to tell me to look you up and that's exactly what I did. I also have a bunch of other links from this forum and others where you've made ludicrous claims and have been called out on them. Do you REALLY want to go down that road?

I gathered a ton of damning evidence against you after almost getting banned for calling out your lies last time. I decided to take a break and leave it alone...but I come back and here you are talking about the same nonsense. Nobody wants to "ruin" your life...but if exposing someone for trying to be someone they're not or be a pro on something they're not will "ruin" your life, then so be it.
                      '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

nO IF ANYTHING i stated did you ever see the ad were a guy comes on and says "my name is bob natkin I invented ecoboost". Which then I STATED about how i attempted to talk him into direct injection and went down as I stated above.
                        He also tried to screw things up when I WAS WORKING ON A 5 SPARK PLUG PER CYLINDER test engine. And I never ever stated that MY name is bob natkin

Comment

"Ever see the add my name is Bob Natkin I invented eco boost. 20+ years ago Working on a design for him to inject air directly into the combustion chamber. I said why not go with direct injection which is good for about a 25% increase in power."

Your words exactly, see where the confusion could come in? Ad, as in commercial, has one "d"...when used in the mathematical sense has two "d"s. We were left to assume it was more of your poor grammatical errors and spelling. Even if that's the case and it were miscommunication, you are still posting crazy info all over the internet.

Such as an intake swap making a whacky 350 Chevy combo go from high-12's to high-8's/low-9's. Seriously, I couldn't make this stuff up if I tried.

At least we can let the identity shennanigans go now, thanks for finally clearing that up.

Comment

There was a post i did about a customer running what I CALLED A BIG BODY Comero guess around a 72 body. He was turning 113 115 MPH in the quarter cranking 9000 rpm. We ported a set of aftermarket heads for him either brodex or canfields. He was running a tunnel ram intake. He installed our heads probably flowed more than 60 cfm more than a ported tunnel ram. He made a lot of changes with no improvements in top end. he kept calling and we Kept telling him he needed a better intake and bigger carbs. he finally found a sheet metal intake with dual 4500 holleys on it and ran a 145 or better in the quarter then blew his 7000 rpm torq converter on the third run. He then set us a pict of his car and a very thankfull letter. Is that the one your talking about? He never told us his et that I REMEMBER only top speed in the quarter
                            Last edited by turbo2256b; 06-30-2016, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Speed equals ET, your original story included a 6000rpm converter...see how little details keep changing every time you tell a story? Just so you know, NO naturally aspirated 350 chevy anywhere is running 9000rpm shift points while running upper 12s...remember speed equals et and 112-115 puts that car in the high-12s. You seem to lack a very important knowledge base of how airflow works through an engine...that speed is probably worth 400-ish HP...now sheet metal intake and dual 4500 dominators and it goes 145mph with no other changes...that mph is typical of high-8 to low-9 sec passes. On a car that probably tips the scales around 3000-3200lbs, that would take approximately 750-950 naturally aspirated hp.

Sheetmetal intake and twin 4500's does not equal 350+ up gain over a tunnel ram and a pair of 4150's. C'mon guy, let's get real here.

Comment

Keep it clean folks.

Call each other out, but not in the tech forums. Save that for the Battlefield.
                                1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
                                Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Working...
                                X