Dry Rotted Tires

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dry Rotted Tires

This is probably a stupid question but I have some dry rotted tires that are VERY dry rotted. They have to be at least 30 years old and have cracks in the side wall.

Is it safe to be around these things or can they potentially knock me out or worse like a split rim if they were to pop? (They're currently holding air)

Should I just bring down the PSI to safer range? Maybe from 30ish psi to 15psi?

I want to put new tires on the rims but I have to transport them to do so.

Thanks in advance,
    Erik

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Let all the air out (you can remove the valve core for that), your worries will be gone. Think about it, that's exactly what the tire place will do anyways when they get to dismounting them, so no harm done if you beat them to it.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

^^^What ghosty said. I surely wouldn't drive on them, as the potential for that to go VERY badly is strong.

Comment

Burn em off.

That's what I expected to see in this thread.

Now I'm disappointed.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
        The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
        It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Yes, burn them off, and watch the belts rip apart and destroy your quarter's, very sound advice.
          2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
          2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
          2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
          1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Lol. All about burnouts but would prefer my shit didn't destroy the car. Here's the way to do it right. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O5IRSwXt_Gw

Comment

My old Michelins are up for replacement, this will be their last year. I've started doing 180's and hard launches from lights now.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Due to having piles of nonmobile junk crap around my house, I have vast experience with this.

95% of the time they'll just get a pinhole leak in one of the cracks. Usually sidewall on the outside.

5% of the time they blow the tread cap. Its loud but I can't see it hurting you unless you are standing right by it.

You could let the air out but then your car is on the ground and you get to replace floors after a few years.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
                  Yes, burn them off, and watch the belts rip apart and destroy your quarter's, very sound advice.
                  Aye now, maybe they're not THAT dry rotted.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                  The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                  It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

i have blown dryrotted tires (in CT. on the left side of interstate, on a sharp curve) with the motorhome. made a mess of the fiberglass finish.
                    will make more of a mess on an automobile. i have seen it dozens of times (oh i'm not going far, it will be ok) usually blows on a hot summer day on the way home from a car show.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
                      Aye now, maybe they're not THAT dry rotted.
                      Them tires being older than many of our GMN members, yeah there's a good chance they're exactly THAT dryrotted, lol. Joke aside, I'm with Lincolmania and Pantera on this one, burnouts are fun and all but I've seen first-hand the sheetmetal carnage that happens when a tire lets go in just the right way, and IMHO it's really not worth the risk.
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                        Let all the air out (you can remove the valve core for that), your worries will be gone. Think about it, that's exactly what the tire place will do anyways when they get to dismounting them, so no harm done if you beat them to it.
                        Thanks. This is what I'll do. I planned on taking them off and driving down to the tire store with them in the trunk/backseat. Letting the air out before hand makes the most sense.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                        Due to having piles of nonmobile junk crap around my house, I have vast experience with this.

95% of the time they'll just get a pinhole leak in one of the cracks. Usually sidewall on the outside.

5% of the time they blow the tread cap. Its loud but I can't see it hurting you unless you are standing right by it.

You could let the air out but then your car is on the ground and you get to replace floors after a few years.
                        Yeah, the 5% is what I'm afraid of. I'm in the middle of rebuilding all the brake system on the car so I have to get close to these things. The problem is, I'm not 100% ready for new tires this moment so I guess I'll deflate them to half pressure before I go putting my face anywhere near them. I don't want them sitting completely flat as the car is sitting in my driveway visible to everyone that passes by.

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                        Them tires being older than many of our GMN members, yeah there's a good chance they're exactly THAT dryrotted, lol. Joke aside, I'm with Lincolmania and Pantera on this one, burnouts are fun and all but I've seen first-hand the sheetmetal carnage that happens when a tire lets go in just the right way, and IMHO it's really not worth the risk.
                        These tires are that dry rotted. I think they're the original tires on my '78... so they're about 38 years old now and have been sitting for 25 years.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

If you need them to look okay, do not let air out. If they are that bad, the extra bend in the sidewall from letting half the air out may be just enough flex to crack it to the point it loses air and you'll be sitting on a flat tire(s).

Try this old farmers trick; take a small screw driver, and use it to "pull" away the rubber from a crack. If the rubber peels off the tire, she is toast, if the rubber snaps back, don't worry (too much about it). You are up in the snow belt, not the sun belt, so the rot we get isn't anything like a sunbaked tire that crumbles to nothing.

Alex.
                          Last edited by GM_Guy; 04-02-2016, 10:17 AM.

Comment

Working...
                          X