No announcement yet.

VicCrownVic's 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

..You're going to put a tarp on it at least, right? I mean yes, it's a DD that sits outside but no reason it should be subjected to unnecessary UV... Actually, I've got the car cover for my '69 Fury still, you can have it.
    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The Scab was on the road again today. Mom was borrowing it while her new Mountaineer, her old Explorer, Dad's new truck, and his old truck were all down this morning. Left this car with them in case they need it since I'd rather have them drive this car as opposed to the rust bucket Ice Car.

Mom commented on how nice the car drove and had no problems to report. It also started right up for me last week when I changed the oil, so everything seems to be in order for The Scab to resume DD duty soon.

I got some C-pillar sail panels and door pull straps to replace the trashed ones in this car. At some point those parts will go on this year.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Brought The Scab home today.

Compared to The Ice Car (wagon cargo coils and now no load in the trunk), The Scab rides like a cloud. Also it runs quieter, the steering feels tighter, the doors close quieter (and the driver door isn't hitting the B pillar AND the fender), the all season tires on The Scab seem to do better in the rain than the winter tires on The Ice Car, the trunk latch cover works. The seats on the other hand... I hate the seats in The Scab. The Ice Car's seats are much better.
        Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Guess the scab's seats were well worn in by an overly large American?

Comment

Seems to be just how LS seats are compared to GS seats as far as I can tell, but these seats did sit lower.

Broke a tie rod end, and currently waiting on a tow. Awesome :/
            Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
            ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Sounds about right for a Monday. You have the AAA tow plan? We love that. I think we've already used that twice this year.

Comment

Pulled all the steering stuff off my '89 MGM since it had all been put on a few months before that car was parked. So very low mileage tie rod ends, pitman arm, and idler arm all greased and put onto the Scab around 5/25 and I've been driving it since. Couldn't find the brand new tie rod ends, pitman arm, and idler arm that I know have somewhere.

Over this past weekend I replaced the nasty destroyed driver door pull with a mint JY matching color door pull and also adjusted the door lock so that it can be manually locked and unlocked. Also replaced the very good front passenger door pull with a second mint JY matching color door pull (now I have 3 very good, but not mint, spares), adjusted and greased the window (works much better now), and replaced the armrest panel with one that had the ashtray door latch intact.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Straightened the steering wheel today, it's nice being able to see my entire instrument cluster again. Steering wheel could stand to rotate clockwise just a hair, but it's barely noticeable and way better than how ridiculously off it was before. Broke 2 out of 4 adjusting sleeve bolts and the 2 that didn't break looked not great so I replaced all 4.

Had the past week off and and got some exterior cleaning done. Took some pics but my phone camera sucks and it was hard to see the screen while taking the pics.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190703_150100.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	120.7 KB
ID:	1285551

Name:	20190703_150113.jpg
Size:	116.1 KB
ID:	1285552

Name:	20190703_150135.jpg
Size:	124.8 KB
ID:	1285553

Name:	20190703_150141.jpg
Size:	133.5 KB
ID:	1285554

Name:	20190703_150143.jpg
Size:	134.3 KB
ID:	1285555
                  Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Hmm, I never knew the steering wheel could be adjusted. She's definitely got more clear coat peel than she used to.

Comment

The procedure is in the service manual, adjusting the tie rod adjusting sleeves is all it takes.

More clear coat peel for sure, but some of my early pictures, and current sig pic, hid that fact with water.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Hah, nice touch, I never knew.

Didn't know that about the sleeves either. :Insert the shooting star with the caption, "the more you know" here:

Comment

WTF Click image for larger version

Name:	imagejpeg_0.jpg
Size:	182.1 KB
ID:	1285581

I'll get some pics of the hood later, it has some battle scars.
                          Good enough excuse to 3G upgrade this car. I had all the parts a few years ago until The Ice Car needed a new 3G. As soon as I get the alternator I'll have everything I need for the 3G swap again.
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Now just exactly how does one break off the 2G's cooling fan blades like that? That must have made some really cool noises when it came apart.

Like you said, good excuse to roll up to the 3G.

My Cars:
                            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

That's what everyone at work said when I showed them. Best I can figure is I think this was a reman AZ replacement I got for my '89 around 2011 and it must have had a problem that finally could not hang on any longer.

I can see where it hit the upper radiator hose, but didn't even break the surface of the hose.

I checked the battery and radiator to make sure there was no damage to those. No leaks from anything and I continued on my way to work this morning and drove home after work.

It makes all kinds of cool sounds at higher RPMs now. Hopefully the strange sounds go away when the busted alternator gets replaced. Just ordered the new 3G now and driving The Ice Car until that gets here next week.
                              Last edited by VicCrownVic; 07-17-2019, 11:29 PM.
                              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Reminds me I still have my original 2G from my '88. Would make cool wall art I suppose.

Comment

Working...
                                X