No announcement yet.

VicCrownVic's 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Took The Scab out today. On the way to drop off some stuff at Derek's house a guy in a white BMW crossover pulls up next to me and said "Hey, what year is that?"
    I told him, "'91, last year for this body."
    "You don't see those around much anymore," was his reply before the light turned green and traffick infront of us started moving again. He was even on the bad side and still had to stop and ask, lol. If this car was in better shape I bet it would get even more attention from random people. Maybe someday I can fix all the issues that drive me nuts. For now I'm really enjoying the '98 and doing work that I want to do on it instead of only work that is needed.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
      I think I should start telling people the it's not for sale price is $4500 and see what they say, LOL. If they are willing to pay that (or any price really) they will be quite disappointed.
      Can confirm. I just add three zeroes to the model year shorthand. “Want my ‘89? All yours for $89,000!” If they show interest in other fleet vehicles, I’ll mention Eva my ‘85 who could be had for $85,000, Kira for $94,000 and so on. I find this conveys “not for sale” in a way that is funny but also firm. I’ll be driving these V8 land yachts until the day I die, and the price reflects this passion, haha.
      '89 Grand Marquis "Ebyt", '85 Grand Marquis "Eva", '94 Caprice "Kira"
      '84 Town Car "Stacy", '79 New Yorker “Anita", '93 Town Car "Kelly"
      '80 Mark VI "Allie", '94 Grand Marquis coming June, '79 LTD-S "Oksana"

Comment

Originally posted by Hearsesrock427 View Post
        Can confirm. I just add three zeroes to the model year shorthand. “Want my ‘89? All yours for $89,000!” If they show interest in other fleet vehicles, I’ll mention Eva my ‘85 who could be had for $85,000, Kira for $94,000 and so on. I find this conveys “not for sale” in a way that is funny but also firm. I’ll be driving these V8 land yachts until the day I die, and the price reflects this passion, haha.
        Your not for sale prices are wayyy higher than mine lol. The one time I got asked if I'd sell my MGM, I said it's not for sale but I could see it go for 25k. Their answer was that it's not worth that much, to which I answered that's why it's not for sale.
        Even though I'm very much attached to the MGM, 25k would get me something worth getting attached to again.
        1985 Mercury Grand Marquis LS, "Maisa"
        1995 Chevrolet Caprice Classic STW, "Sally"

Comment

LOL, I like that. $91K it is.
          I could be convinced to sell, but then I'd just need to get another box so I might as well keep it. I certainly wouldn't pay much more than $1K for this car, maybe $1500 as it currently sits.
          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Yeeaaah, just find a clean one somewhere which needs a drivetrain and swap it over- that would be cheapest. Rust sucks, big time.

Drove the Town Car today. All of a sudden it's no longer for sale in my mind.
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Picture from yesterday of the bad side. Clear coat is pretty rough, rocker panel is mostly gone, grandma (PO's grandma) ran into something or was ran into in the quarter panel, grandma also tried taking the garage door with her on the front. This is just the stuff that you can see that makes me chuckle that so many people are complimenting/asking if it's for sale. And that's in person, the camera can often hide just how bad a car really is, LOL. There are plenty more issues that you can't see or I didn't mention that really would make a buyer realize they overpaid at any price.

More than 20 years of driving box panthers means I am very comfortable with where every inch of the car is, so parking is never an issue. I'm not this comfortable with the '98, but that has bumper covers that can be easily scratched or damaged unlike the solid box bumpers.

Attached Files
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I remember seeing this car not too long ago...2 years ago? What a survivor. Originally from out west before arriving in Michigan right?

Hope it keeps on chugging along for years to come.
                -Nick M.
                Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

LOL, originally from Michigan. Belonged to the PO's grandparents and they took it to Arizona every year, hence the sun baked C-pillar sail panels (which I have replaced one and maybe I'll get the other one done next year, three years after I bought the JY replacement panels.)

Might have been 3 years ago that you saw this one. At our last meet (2019) I drove The Ice Car.

I don't put a ton of miles on this car and it's almost that time of year where I stop driving it again. The clear coat peal on the roof is really taking off, but still drives great. Even towed an empty car dolly last year.
                  Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Ahhh that's right, ok. x2 I forgot about that - had to reference meet pictures for a refresh.
                    -Nick M.
                    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

Last Saturday I popped a brake line somewhere in the front left or front center. Brakes felt a little strange returning from Lowe's with some mulch (second trip because I needed a couple more bags). Got home and noticed drips like a crumb trail from the street into the driveway under the car. The strangeness I felt in the brakes made sense at that point. Line replacement perhaps this weekend if I have time. yay
                      At least I still have my friend's hydraulic flare tool, so it shouldn't be too terrible of a job.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I've used Nickle Copper brake lines on the past couple of brake lines I had to replace. It made it so much less a pain in the ass. They flare and bend (but not kink) really easy.

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Originally posted by VicCrownVic View Post
                          Last Saturday I popped a brake line somewhere in the front left or front center. Brakes felt a little strange returning from Lowe's with some mulch (second trip because I needed a couple more bags). Got home and noticed drips like a crumb trail from the street into the driveway under the car. The strangeness I felt in the brakes made sense at that point. Line replacement perhaps this weekend if I have time. yay
                          At least I still have my friend's hydraulic flare tool, so it shouldn't be too terrible of a job.
                          Hope that fix doesnt reveal the next weakest link in your system. Been there and played that game before.

Originally posted by slack View Post
                          I've used Nickle Copper brake lines on the past couple of brake lines I had to replace. It made it so much less a pain in the ass. They flare and bend (but not kink) really easy.
                          I have yet to try that stuff out as I was lucky enough to finished up all the brake lines on my car before I have ever heard about this stuff. A lot more pricier (from parts store) for a roll of the nicopp stuff but if the ease of use is there it is a no brainer.
                          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Third Nic Copper, save your self 50% in $ and buy it off Amazon as to avoid the autopart store cartel.

1978 Grand Marquis 460 2door "Blue Bomber"

1987 LTD Crown Vic Canadian Tow Package 351w aka the "MI Mountie"

1989 Colony Park ....Marge still lives!

1979 Marquis creamy goodness

Comment

My friend who owns the hydraulic flare tool told me about the nicop lines that he used a few years ago on his F150. I have a bunch of zinc coated steel line on hand, so if I want to get it done this weekend it will be with what I have. Although this isn't my DD so I could wait and order some nicop line. If I don't get it done tomorrow I'll consider ordering some nicop.
                              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Got it done today, steel line it is. It was actually the line going to the rear below the driver door.
                                This car is such a rotbox, but the brakes function better than they ever have since I bought this car 6 years ago. Dad had one of those one man bleeder things. It worked pretty well, I used it since dad was working on his truck.
                                Last edited by VicCrownVic; 06-04-2022, 09:46 PM.
                                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Working...
                                X