No announcement yet.

VicCrownVic's 1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS "The Scab"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally installed my 3G alternator on Saturday, and installed my headlight relay harness today. Now both cars have these two upgrades done.

Here's some more pictures of the carnage:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20190722_190605.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	1285645

Name:	20190722_190608.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	1285646

Name:	20190722_190611.jpg
Size:	30.7 KB
ID:	1285647

Name:	20190722_190618.jpg
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	1285648

Name:	20190727_185452.jpg
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	1285649

And a couple pics of my new alternator:

Name:	20190727_191631.jpg
Size:	101.4 KB
ID:	1285650

Name:	20190727_191646.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	1285651
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Wow. That messed up the hood big time.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

How'd that happen again? Pics of carnage but no carnage back story...
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Oh, I was at a stop light at 16 Mile and Hayes, heading west on my way to work on Wed, 7/17. Light turned green, I was first in line and took off like I normally do then all of a sudden at high-RPM THWACK wheieieieieieieieieien. I should have got a video of the sound the alt made after that fan broke, it was a pretty odd sound. I mean, the thing was basically a cell phone vibrator with the unbalanced fan. I felt no vibration but could certainly hear the effects of it.

At first I had no clue what happened, just knew it wasn't good. Then I saw the mounds on my hood, still didn't know what happened though. Pulled into the nearest place I could, popped the hood (after keying off, I didn't need more shrapnel hitting me) and first thing I noticed was missing blades on the 2G. Continued on my way to work after verifying there was no damage to hoses, battery, radiator, overflow tank, no leaks anywhere. Babied it to keep it from making the weird sound as much as possible since the sound only happened at higher RPM.

I ordered a 3G to go with all the stuff I already had for the swap and drove The Ice Car while I waited for that to show up. Since I was putting a 3G in, I of course had to order a headlight relay harness as well. Both upgrades that should have been done long ago, but oh well they're done now.
          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Ooh. Wow. I'd have been devastated if that happened to my Townie. Would have been "fuck-this-shit-o'clock"

Comment

Normally I would have this car back on DD duty since we've had enough rain to wash the salt off the roads and hopefully we're done with salt for the season.
              With the '98 taking over DD duty, The Scab is now backup. I've got some work that needs to be done, but I'm not going to do the work in my driveway and with all the COVID-19 stuff going on I guess I'm stuck waiting to do the work it needs.

I started this one up about a week or two ago when I moved it to power wash my driveway. It started right up like it always does. The engine in the car sure is warn though. Plenty of clattering on startup for the first few seconds. As temperamental as The Ice Car is, that engine doesn't clatter, so perhaps that engine will eventually find its way into The Scab in the next couple of years. We'll see.
              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Power washed all 3 cars today. This one started right up like it always does. Got all the dirt, pollen, and bird crap off then put it back.
                Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Drove this one the other day when I had to go pick up some meds at the pharmacy. Holy crap, this thing needs some brake work. Need to check the fluid level and check for leaks if it's low. If that looks fine I'll bleed it and go from there. The pedal feels stupid soft. Driving the '98 may have made it more obvious, but I don't remember the feel of this brake pedal sucking so bad when I parked it.
                  Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

That's what my CV was like after I upgraded the brakes on the Ranger; a little bit moreso when I got the '05 MGM. Yet, my Mom had no problem locking up the brakes during a panic stop shortly before taking that car off the road. I still replaced the master cylinder and brake booster when the lopo came out anyways. Hopefully that makes a difference.

Comment

Took this car on its first real drive since December when I parked it. About 100 miles today, a bit more than the 4ish mile trips to the store and back that it's been on over the last few months.

Brakes actually felt ok and more like I remember, but probably because I drove it long enough to get used to them. Definitely not as nice as the brakes on the '98.

Long trip with Derek following. Took a load of dirt that he wanted to get rid of up to my parents' place. I didn't want to drive the new car on dirt roads more than I need to so took The Scab. Overall the car did well.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

No smoke and it didn't stink! Thumbs up from me. That should be the junkyard trip vehicle, not that pristine '98. Thanks for helping with all that dirt, it's nice to have my truck back again, and riding level!

Comment

Rare picture of "the bad side." I decided to get some mulch today. The old mulch was looking really tired in my flower bed and around my two trees.

I fit 20 cubic feet of mulch in the trunk no problem. Two spare tires and a few other things in there as well.

Picture with 20 cubic feet of mulch:

Picture after unloading all the mulch:

I didn't get the exact same perspective, but it looks like in the picture with the mulch in the trunk the rear is sitting a little lower. Not bad for stock 30 year old springs and Monroe Max Air shocks in the rear.
                          Attached Files
                          Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                          ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

Good load.
                            ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I scored some C-pillar sail panels about a year ago and finally decided to try installing them today. Since I was going through my shed and I saw them I guess I felt motivated to finally do something with them.
                              The replacements came from a 1990 MGM. They aren't mint, but they are much better than what they are replacing.

Passenger side before:

Passenger side after (but before I aligned it better):

Driver side seatbelt was not budging. The belt has to be unbolted at the bottom and fed through the panel. I have 1/2" drive T50 impact bit that was not making any progress on my breaker bar. In fact the teeth of the bit were shifting.
                              I sprayed the bolt with some liquid wrench, top and underside, still nothing. Tried hammering on it as well. I'll keep spraying it whenever I can and if I still can't get it I'll have to visit someone with an impact.
                              So the driver side did not get changed.

The PO painted the bare spots on both panels and did a decent job matching the fabric color. There was a lot more fabric on these panels when I got them. The original owner (PO's grandmother) took the car to Arizona each year. I think the AZ sun and heat did these panels in.

Something interesting I found, there seems to be a difference in the orientation of the brackets on the backside of the panel. The '90 brackets are mounted to the panel in opposing directions while the '91 brackets are mounted in the same direction which made the '91 panels much easier to remove than the '90 JY panels.
                              ('90 left, '91 right):
                              Attached Files
                              Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                              ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

At first glance I would have said it was just a manufacturing defect....adhering the piece in the wrong direction. But giving it another look suggests otherwise giving that the bracket has a deeper cut into. I get the orientation part of it as well. Makes one able to slide the piece out easier.

Do these slide into grooves on a plastic push pin?
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X