Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HO lower. Is there a point?

Hey guys,

I can pick up an HO upper and lower for next to nothing, is there any benefit to swapping there lopo lower with an HO one? I know it's always suggested to swap to the HO upper, egr spacer and the TB. Planning on putting it on the 87, the car is untouched from the factory.

Nope, HO lower is the same as a lopo lower. Both are awful.
    2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
    2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
    2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
    1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Like pantera77 said. Only difference is the injectors that go in, and the fuel rail. They're physically the same exact casting...

Comment

I've always wondered what a truck cam (lopo firing order) and 19# injectors would do. I know it's useless, that if you're in that deep, might as well go HO or better... but I've had the question pop in my head.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

It's a piece of shit. We converted scott's f250 to SEFI with truck shit and 19lb injectors. The later truck ones got the HO firing order but still flat tappet. Fun fact, it's the Explorer cam but non roller.

Comment

Thanks guys. Glad I asked before I pulled it!

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
              It's a piece of shit. We converted scott's f250 to SEFI with truck shit and 19lb injectors. The later truck ones got the HO firing order but still flat tappet. Fun fact, it's the Explorer cam but non roller.
              ah... in that case I know exactly what it would do.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Port that lower casting and it gets a lot better. There are better intakes to spend that porting money on though. If not for the fact I had what amounted to a ported stock lower already, I wouldn't have bothered. It did help the otherwise stock HO in my Mark VII though. Its a Holley intake, but those were extremely comparable to a well ported stock Ford casting. Biggest difference is that the casting is smoother on the outside, so it looks a little nicer.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Scored a typhoon on CL for 140 bucks so I don't plan to bother with any of the factory crap. Only downside is moving vacuum lines but that's not that big a deal. If I had easy access to a stock upper I'd consider throwing it on but between me and my brother, we have copious extra aftermarket stuff and not much stock that's worth saving, lol.

Comment

Vacuum lines are actually pretty easy, there's only a few of them and the diagram on the fan shroud tells you exactly how to hook them up. My biggest issue with the vacuum lines actually comes from the factory setup, what kind of a stupid idea was it to press some huge port tubes into the side of the intake's central runner (the one coming right off the TB) then slide 1/4" hose on them? Why couldn't they just 1/4" ports to begin with? Makes for a pretty maddening experience when you go to replace the factory lines, 1/4" fuel/emissions hose doesn't really wanna stretch over them stupid-large ports...
                    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

^^^True story ghosty, although the ports will be on the front of my typhoon and look a bit stupid, they will be easily accessible. I plan to drill and tap the top of this thing to put the stupid intake plaque thingie on the top of it and look kinda factory. It's dirty and used and I don't plan to clean it up much either. Aside from the aluminum heads, shiny throttle body, and headers, this sucker will pretty much look stock. It'll be the same story when the REAL motor goes in too.

Comment

Yeah but you guys failed to mention the major STREET CRED you get from having the HO lower
                        -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                          Yeah but you guys failed to mention the major STREET CRED you get from having the HO lower
                          *looks under the hood of his stock lopo*

HEY LOOK!!! AN HO LOWER!!

Comment

Originally posted by Brown_Muscle View Post
                            Fast and furious too much? lol
                            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                              1994+ 302 and 351W all got the same roller cam.

1992-1993 302 got a No Po roller cam.
                              Last edited by Mercracer; 04-07-2016, 07:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X