another 351w swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

another 351w swap

hello everyone. First post on here. name is Adam. live in South Carolina. i have a 85 crown Victoria ltd white with blue vinyl top. it had a 302 cfi v8 that i removed and i bought a 351w to go in. the 351w came out of a 88 f150.

So i tore it down and honed it and installed new bearings and rings. along with comp cam kit, Gt40p heads , intake, new dizzy. Here is my parts list:

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...?csid=871&sb=2 (kit)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/331642042080...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wnd-8023wnd

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/cr...view/make/ford

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/su...view/make/ford

Gt40p heads with basic valve job. head bolts drilled out to 1/2 inch. double roller timing chain, new springs, keepers, etc

now that the engine is all together, minus exhaust headers, i am ready to stab this thing back into the car.

Is there anything in particular thing i need to watch for that could hinder me from a easy drop in? Is the oil pan on this engine to deep for the cross member?
    i have a cutting wheel and welder.

Since the dizzy is a one wire, and sense i am removing all cfi or whatever stuff from the car, any electrical woes i need to be prepared for?

any advice or questions feel free to ask!
    Click image for larger version

Name:	1st 351w build.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	114.4 KB
ID:	1303378Click image for larger version

Name:	1st 351w build 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	1303379
    Last edited by windsor4brainz; 04-06-2016, 09:41 PM. Reason: forgot some parts
    Wide open until you see God, then BRAKE
    sigpic

You need a 351w swap pan for a fox body mustang. It's the same pan the crown vic used for the 351.

Comment

By the way, welcome to the forum!

Comment

thank you for the speedy response sir! i see i would have to buy another oil pan , dipstick tube, pump ,and all. thats quite a bit , exspecially sense i just bout a new oil pump too! Seems quite a bit of coin for one 1 to 2 inches. Any more tid bits of information?
        sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by windsor4brainz View Post
          thank you for the speedy response sir! i see i would have to buy another oil pan , dipstick tube, pump ,and all. thats quite a bit , exspecially sense i just bout a new oil pump too! Seems quite a bit of coin for one 1 to 2 inches. Any more tid bits of information?
          I'm not fully informed on the 351w in a panther. I'm only recalling things that I heard when people would put these engines in. As for the ignition system, you can either go with the trusty duraspark II or do an HEI conversion. You can also use the Duraspark III which I believe is only found on the VV 302 and 351 panthers. The only difference between DSII and III is an extra plug that would be an input to the computer. Connect the two wires together and you would essentially have duraspark II.
          Keep in mind that the CFI crap is also tied into the main harness of the vehicle to an extent. Expect to rewire the starting circuit of the vehicle. An EVTM for your model year would be handy for sorting out what wires do what.

Comment

Also I just clicked on your link for the water pump. What exactly did you use for the application of that? If it was a fox body mustang the water pump will not work with the pulley set up. And you'll have to run the mustang accessory routing.

Verify also your distributor has the proper gear depending on the cam you use. There are two variations (technically 3) Steel and cast iron (and bronze). Using the wrong gear can cause either gear or cam failure. If it's a flat tappet cam, you need a cast iron gear. If roller (which I doubt, given the year of the engine) it requires a steel gear! Bronze wears out quickly, not a good choice for longevity!
            Last edited by 86VickyLX; 04-06-2016, 10:28 PM.

Comment

Yeah, wtf is that water pump? I just installed a Gates one today, it's much more precisely machined than the stuff at the parts stores (even the expensive HD pumps) but it still looks like the standard Panther pump. What you got there looks like nothing I've ever seen, so spill the beans, curious minds wanna know.

A heads-up on that HEI dizzy, feed it plenty of e-juice, easiest to do with a Bosch-style ice-cube 40-amp relay on the passenger-side inner fender - feed said relay off the battery or the big starter contactor with a 12awg wire, trigger it with any key-on circuit from the CFI mess, than grab tthe juice off it and run another piece if 12awg wire to the dizzy. The heck with the DS2 setup if you already got a 1-wire dizzy.

+1 on the dizzy gear too, make sure it's for a flat-tapped cam if that's what you're using. Also, assembly-lube the fawk out of said dizzy gear, cam gear too - I had one flat-tapped GM cam eat the dizzy gear during break-in, Melling (cam manufacturer) said it's likely the oil I used wasn't very high on zink additives - they suggested diesel oil for the first few oil changes, yup that did the trick with the next gear. Cam was unscathed actually, it was the dizzy gear that got sacrificed, even tho it was the proper one for a flat-tappet...
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Oh boy.. GT40P heads, I wonder if the GT40P specific headers will fit well.. Non-Roller cam motor, be careful on break in and make sure to use oil that has a good amount of zinc in it. Amsoil has some pretty good stuff. You're going to need a drop filter for your carb and will need to make sure you can retrofit the TV cable/bar onto the carb. Luckily you have a CFI car, so the throttle cable will be perfect for the carb.

Yes you will need the 150$ 351 swap mustang pan, comes with a pickup, pan and dip stick. But you'll have to block up the dipstick hole in the pan and use the factory dipstick and hole in the block.

351w for the win.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

You can reuse most of the 302 brackets. The AC in particular is different for the 351W due to the higher deck of the block which raises the heads ~1"

Comment

Thats a truck water pump according to the application guide. Water inlet hose is on the wrong side. You really want a Vic water pump. Those will just fit and all the things line up.

I wouldn't mess with cutting the pan either, just fit the proper one and you're golden. I'm not sure that the oil pump is different, but the pickup tube probably is.
                    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Welcome!
                      '79 Continental Town Car
                      '90 Crown Victoria LTD
                      '94 Crown Victoria

Comment

alright i love these comments full of info. the dizzy gear is cast iron. so i am good on that one area.

I accidentally ordered the wrong water pump for the engine ( as you can see its a passenger side inlet) but i hate returning or exchanging items through mail. i will use either different flexible water pump hoses or new radiator. or will it not work because of length? i bought this 351 without accessories so i dont know.

i didnt want gt40p heads but they were cheap even tho i spent to much in machine work on them. (lesson learned) .

I will bite the bullet and get the oil pan for the car. is the screen different or do i need the whole kit? i see just the oil pans for sale.

The one big question i have is flywheel related. I have 1 50 oz 164 tooth flywheel that came off a 302. not going to work. So do i need a 164 tooth 28 oz flywheel or a 156 tooth flyhweel? i would think i would need a 164 tooth 28 oz flywheel. any ideas.

i am also at a point in the build i am ready to here her run and stop spending money lol.
                        sorry for so many questions. i try search but i get so many conflicting answers that it doesnt help most of the time.
                        sigpic

Comment

The water pump must mach the timing cover, the coolant flow passages are shaped pretty much opposite. I can illustrate with a picture tomorrow if desired. If you're using a truck timing cover then stick with the truck water pump and make the hoses work, if you have a car timing cover then you need a car pump.

The flywheel, Bobcat ought to know the answer to that question, wait till he chimes in.
                          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Well are you going to have a manual transmission or automatic? Since a flywheel is for a manual and a flexplate is for an automatic.
                            You'll need a 28oz one of which ever you use. I use a 28oz, 31lb 157 tooth flywheel.

On the water pump situation. I actually use a 70s truck one that I found at a swap meet. I bolt my panther pump on with no problem. I always believed that they were all the same.

On the distributor gear situation. I don't know if your cam is an iron piece or billet steel. Since if it's billet steel (Like all roller cams, don't know if flat tappet aren't) you're going to NEED a steel gear. I didn't know this and shredded my distributor gear real good one night. Fuckin hate flat tappet cams.

Here's the pan kit, buy the goddamn thing and don't look back. It's possible that I may be selling my pan setup and if you have a pickup for a 94 bronco (Don't know what else would be similar or the same) I'll be needing that.
                            http://www.ebay.com/itm/79-95-Ford-R...5Wjo9Z&vxp=mtr
                            Last edited by Bobcat; 04-08-2016, 08:01 AM.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
                            The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
                            It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

With Ford... roller cam=steel. Flat tappet cam=iron. 351w was flat until 94. So yes, the engine should come with an iron stick and an iron gear dizzy is the right dizzy.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              Originally posted by gadget73
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X