No announcement yet.

another 351w swap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

From my understanding on the water pumps is if your belt drives it with the smooth side of the serpentine belt its reverse rotation, if driven by the groved side (or v-belt) it is standard rotation.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
      With Ford... roller cam=steel. Flat tappet cam=iron. 351w was flat until 94. So yes, the engine should come with an iron stick and an iron gear dizzy is the right dizzy.
      I only said that since he is using an aftermarket cam.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
      The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
      It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

And since the cam makers should know this... it should be the same. If not it would be noted that the distributor gear would need changing. A quick call to Comp would verify that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I love this forum! knowledgeable people multiple responses ! I love it! . so today i broke down and bought the correct water pump with the inlet on the driver side so everything match. Too many other problems to use the passenger side inlet water pump.

I still have yet to buy the oil pan and flywheel yet . I need to get those things so i can get the engine back in the car. I think that would give me a mental victory. One step closer to firing it up. its been on the stand for a little while and the parts list seem to only grow lol.

I will use my push button starter on the solenoid until the rewiring happens , which will lead to a new thread.
          So remaining parts list is S such:
          1. oil pan
          2. flywheel
          3. carburetor
          4. spark plugs, radiator hoses
          5. exhaust manifolds

thats just to get the engine running. then theres brakes , wheels and tires.

oh is the pan needed alone or pan and new pickup tube?
          Wide open until you see God, then BRAKE
          sigpic

Comment

new pickup tube would be a good idea just on the grounds of because, but also for the fact that the sump is differently shaped.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Originally posted by JeffBoudah View Post
              From my understanding on the water pumps is if your belt drives it with the smooth side of the serpentine belt its reverse rotation, if driven by the groved side (or v-belt) it is standard rotation.
              While this is true, Fox body reverse rotation water pumps utilize the same standard rotation timing cover that a Vic uses. Truck pumps however do not use the same timing cover, theirs is actually shaped to match the reverse pump.

As for the messing with the radiator or hoses, honestly I think you'll find its easier to return the pump and get the proper combination of timing cover and pump than it is to try and force-fit a different radiator or run the return hose all over the place to make it fit the stock one. The offset on the pump pulley is also usually not the same, so the belts are not liable to line up either, besides the whole matter of spinning in the wrong direction and not pumping water.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

So I got a carburetor. It's an edelbrock 1406 8182. Which I believe it's a 600 cfm. I don't know that the 8182 means. Anyone?

So I did some side mechanic work and got screwed. So the extra money I thought I would have to get the oil pan kit and flywheel ain't going to happen. But I will still try and order the flywheel now.

Just for everything to be completely clear I need a 157 tooth 28oz flywheel. Not a 164 tooth. And the starter that is in the car that worked with the 164 tooth flywheel WILL work with the 157 tooth flywheel correct?
                sigpic

Comment

A 1406 is a 600cfm electric choke model, originally calibrated for "economy". I ran one on my '68 Mustang with a really worn 302. It ran good. It was really easy to work on. You can recalibrate for performance rather than Econ. Start with setting it up like a 1405 according to the owners manual you can find online. The last four digits are a date code.

Someone please correct me if I am wrong, but I was under the impression that all AODs used 164 tooth flexplate?
                  1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                  1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                  Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                  Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Only order a flywheel if mating with a manual transmission. Order the flex plate for an automatic transmission. (I have no clue on tooth counts... I let my transmission shop deal with that.

Comment

i have a few other questions while funds become available on next payday.

1. since this car was efi and i am switching to carb with a mechanical run pump. do i need to change the fuel tank sending unit to one without a pump attached?

2. for those with gt40p heads on 351w, did you guys use stock sized pushrods? my local machine shop said i was good when he had the heads but i find myself questioning him now.

3. anyone nice enough to snap a few pictures of the accessory brackets and stuff on there 351w or 302. Since everything is torn down i have been painting everything and i dont remember where everything went. I mind as well put the brackets and accessories back on while the engine is out waiting for the last few parts.

4. as far as theis swap goes electrically, to trim down the harness under the engine , where should i start? should i leave everything or what ? i dont have a clinton manual but i do have shopkey5 to look stuff up.
                      sigpic

Comment

fuel tank pump... replace the pump with a longer hose to the screen... or even better, fit a hard line to the screen (not as easy - have to fit the pipes and stuff to fittings). Not sure if you just remove the screen altogether since there's less pull... possibly.

I would think stock 351w pushrods would work within reason as that portion should all be the same height. Changing to roller rockers from the stock rockers might change that though. It would all be within a couple millimeter I would think.

no picture off hand, but staring at the engine from the front bumper... AC top left, Alt top right, power steering pump bottom right, smog pump bottom left (or deleted).

Basically, if it doesn't plug into the engine after the swap, you can remove that. You could also leave it all in there in case you decide to go EFI at a later date. Just wrap it up and tuck under the wiper cowl.

Comment

Why not run the electric pump with a regulator instead of the mechanical pump?

Comment

Here are some pics of the brackets on my 302

http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post775079
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

If you switch to roller rockers you will need to measure for pushrod length.

Comment

thank you 87gtvic! man that engine looks GOOD. and dont get me started on the chrome! everything looks pristine!
                                sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X