351w Swap Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

351w Swap Thread

So I figured I'd make a thread on what one needs to do, in order to put a 351w in their box body.

We'll start off with saying that the 351w and the 302 are very close to the same. They share a few interchangeable parts:
    Heads (Bolt holes will have to be widened to 1/2" bolts , Cam, Oil pan, Oil pickup/pump, water pumps, timing chains, timing cover, headers, transmissions, engine mounts. Box panther accessories will fit. But the A/C bracket WILL NOT. Unless you get one off a 351 equipped car.

Somethings that they don't interchange are:
    Lower intakes (Upper explorer intake will fit if you utilize a GT40 Marine/Lightning lower for FI applications). Obviously 351w carb intakes will fit a 351, but not a 302. Distributors, flywheel/flexplate & Harmonic balancer (Will bolt on, but won't work. But the 351 uses a 28oz counter balance while the 302 uses a 50oz.) Pistons, rods, crank, pushrods.

Facts:
    Now the 351 is pretty swap in, especially if you plan to run a carburetor. The engine mounts are the same so the long block will bolt right in. But you will have to use a 351W swap kit for a foxbody for the oil pan. Other than that, it's a pretty direct swap. DO NOT run tall valve covers, as they will hit the wiper box. So unless you want to cut a hole in the wiper box, don't use them. I use 1.72 Roller Rockers and they'll function just fine with stock valve covers. Even though at this moment, I am running tall aluminum valve covers (This is what happens when you're a stubborn youth who doesn't want to lose his tall valve covers..) As for the exhaust, this past year I ran stock foxbody mustang shorty headers, with a BBK H pipe. You will have to widen the H/X pipe so that they will accept the wideness of the 351. (You may be able to use 351 swap headers and not have to widen the exhaust, but I'm unsure)

Misc info:
    I specifically chose a 1994 351 out of a Bronco, since 94-97 were the first years of the roller cam. Which makes for an easy engine build/break in and I'd say an easier and more reliable engine. The late 60s blocks and very early 70s blocks are known the be the highest nickel content blocks (Strongest) and supposedly can handle 800hp reliably. Where as an 80s-90s block can handle 700hp. I know that I won't ever be pushing 700hp, so I see no problem with my later block. 80-93 blocks are basically the most undesirable since they aren't roller and aren't strong. Obviously a non-roller motor can be converted to have roller lifters, if you're determined to have them in an older block. (I would be.) Keep in mind that if you use a manual transmission such as a T5, and you plan to drive the car like a trouble teenager, you will blow up the T5. Ask me how I know.

Pan kit part #
    M-6675-A58
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/79-95-Ford-R...Wjo9Z&vxp=mtrf

Information can be added as it comes.
    Sticky this

- Logan
    Last edited by gadget73; 04-08-2016, 07:26 PM. Reason: minor clarification

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
    The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
    It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think 351W intakes will fit on a 302, carb or not
    the 351W is wider.

Comment

Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
      Correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think 351W intakes will fit on a 302, carb or not
      the 351W is wider.
      Meant to be "Won't fit"

Annnnnnnnnnndddddddd nowI can't edit it.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

I don't see it. Do you just need to clarify the carb intake for a 351 will work on a 351 that was injected?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

omethings that they don't interchange are:
          Lower intakes (Upper explorer intake will fit if you utilize a GT40 Marine/Lightning lower for FI applications. Obviously 351w carb intakes will fit.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

That work for you?
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Beautiful, thanks Thain. Can someone sticky this.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Working...
              X