So...shift kits/valve bodies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So...shift kits/valve bodies

So I've read up on the shift kit issue on Scott's forum, but I'm still really on the fence. Mixed reviews across the board on Transgo shit. At some point I plan on building or buying a SERIOUS trans for the box but would just like to spice things up a bit for now. I like the idea that the HD transgo kit comes with the hi-rev governor. My car is a '90, which is noted as a bad year to put these in. Would like to have some user input on this. Eventually I'd like to go lenntech with the electronic OD lockout like later model cars but it's not in the cards right now. I don't really need the hi-rev governor now but will be doing an entire top-end swap soon and would like to be able to use the higher-up power band that it will give me. What say the panther gods?

Have you checked Silverfox' products? He does some wicked valve bodies for reasonable prices. May be more affordable than a Lentech or another big-name setup...
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Have looked at silverfox and lenntech. Passed up a deal on a lenntech street terminator trans that would've been that cat's ass but that's how it goes. Silverfox looks like a good deal, but not THAT much cheaper than lenntech. When I need all that, I'd probably be better off just buying a built trans from either/or. Just want to liven it up for now. This one has plenty of life left it once I lose the sloppy shifts and get a proper cooler on it. Won't be making anything like BIG power real soon, although the top-end stuff I'm throwing at it will likely double the power it makes now. How sad is that?

Comment

Honestly if you think your transmission is decent just give it nice Silverfox VB and call it good. Dan is very easy to reach and nice to work with, he'll give you exactly what you tell him you want. You can later move said VB to whatever new transmission you decide to go with.

Thing one needs to remember with shift kits, time IS money. If you're having someone install it for you then you're paying that someone by the hour, and if they have any brains in their head they will be charging you accordingly. On the other hand if you're doing the install yourself, then you need to be aware you'll be spending hours on first figuring how the VB works, then modding it to how you think you want it, then rechecking your work twice over out of paranoia that you missed something that can wipe the trans during the test drive, then if the settings you chose are a bit too much or not enough you'll be tearing the bitch apart again to change what needs changing. I had my old E4OD open 3 times in one night trying to get her to shift how I wanted her, had to study fluid circuit paths and determining what fills when and empties thru where, and finally ended up modifying parts of the valve body that the shift kit made no mentions of whatsoever.

But you asked for suggestion - Silverfox once said he's been pleased with Baumann shift kits for the later AODs, and TCM was the other one he suggested IIRC.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

I once paid someone $800 to overhaul a 4l60e for me. It was a family member. He forgot the check ball on top of the valvebody, which caused a servo cover on the side to blow off driving down ththe biggest, draining all fluid quickly before my wife knew what happened. So then I paid another $1400 to have it done again my a professional. He had it out three times for leaks after going through it. Moral of the story - if you pay someone, be sure they really know what they are doing.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

If I get a valve body I still have to get the good governor too though right? Maybe I should just get a stick. I understand manual transmissions....

Comment

Or do a super cheap way and find a used HO governor and just tighten then TV cable. That's what Im doing anyway, dont wanna put any money into this auto.

1985 LTD Crown Vic, factory hard top, 302 soon to be gt40p headed (lightly ported & blended), summit brand stealth (port matched), stock cam, summit annular 600cfm VS, dual exhaust, 3.55 LSD, AOD, electric fan swap, tan interior.

Comment

The valve body will basically do it for you. I'm running an SPT-R in my vic with the vic governor and that thing shifts just about where I like it. And if I don't I can just easily adjust my WOT points with an allen wrench (just drop the pan and it's on the side of the vb). Or I could just manually shift the thing. Dan is a great guy and I've had wonderful experiences dealing with him in the past. Just tell him what you want and he's got it covered!

Comment

I have the trans-go shift kit in my 5.0 88 e-150............works like a champ for me...WOT shift points are 5600+ and are nice and firm...installed it myself and i've put at least 2000 miles on it and roughly 50 1/8th. mile passes.........

Also have a lentech VB in a 5.0 mustang that has worked flawlessly for 15+ years.........
                  Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Blue View Post
                    I have the trans-go shift kit in my 5.0 88 e-150............works like a champ for me...WOT shift points are 5600+ and are nice and firm...installed it myself and i've put at least 2000 miles on it and roughly 50 1/8th. mile passes.........

Also have a lentech VB in a 5.0 mustang that has worked flawlessly for 15+ years.........
                    Do you get pulled over regularly in that?

Comment

If they can catch him!
                      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

The last time I fooled with a shift kit, it ended up with a valve body replacement because it stopped shifting. Its a Silverfox, but it isn't adjusted correctly right now so I can't really give a fully honest opinion of it. It has 4 gears, and previously I sort-of had 2. Its therefore 200% more awesome.

I did actually figure out the problem with the old valve body. One of the piston and spring assemblies got put in backwards. It would likely work if I put it back in now, but I managed to shoot one of the retaining clips across the garage and need to replace it so the parts stay on the inside. Also, I'm not real motivated to take another transmission blood bath to attempt it. That shit sucks.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                          Also, I'm not real motivated to take another transmission blood bath to attempt it. That shit sucks.
                          Le Home de Pot has those concrete mixing tubs for $5-$6 that make perfect drain pans for that. Any time a friend has asked me to do a slushbox filter and fluid job I demand they provide one of said tubs, or I ain't touching the job. One decided to be a cheapskate and did it with the engine oil drain pan, ended up with an Exxon Valdez on the garage floor. Should have bought the mixing tub...

Comment

Yep used those for the job before. Now I have a drain plug! Should help ease the flow of the red sea if I have to crack her open again.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                            my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I ran a Baumann re-cal kit in my 90. It was pretty awesome, but I've never installed a transgo for comparison in anything.

Comment

Working...
                              X