No announcement yet.

HO upper intakes.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So is the explorer upper intake the same as the ho intake or are they different

Comment

They are different. To use one of those you will also need the lower intake to go with it. Early years have EGR provisions while later ones do not, I'm not sure what year the switch happened. You will also need to tap the manifold to run your IAT sensor, there's already a boss for it. You will also need to tap into the coolant passages if you want to retain coolant flow through your TB&EGR spacer. I know I have an upper & lower with decent paint that is already tapped for the IAC, but not for the coolant lines. Even in a box too, if you want it. I was going to run it but the shop didn't want to put it on once they learned they would have to tap into it for coolant lines and then the community here said that was too much for a LoPo anyway.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Hey Scott, do you happen to have a HO TB you'd like to sell? I really only need the plastic caps for the throttle rod/linkage but will buy the whole thing if you don't want to piece-meal it.

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
          Hey Scott, do you happen to have a HO TB you'd like to sell? I really only need the plastic caps for the throttle rod/linkage but will buy the whole thing if you don't want to piece-meal it.
          Plastic caps?

Comment

I don't know how to describe them... They seem to be caps to protect the bearings for dirt and such. If you take the TPS off and look down you'll see one, and if you removed the throttle linkage & shaft from the other end you'd see the other one. I lost one of them in the process of swapping Ho linkage for NoPo linkage. Have not seen an HO in the yards for months.

Comment

Those are sealed bearings if I'm not overly mistaken. They aren't supposed to have the seals come out. If they had a dirt seal instead of sealed bearings, then it should be the same on an HO and a non-HO body I'd expect. I have one of Scott's throttle bodies here for sizing purposes, I can look at it later.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

It's a plastic bushing typically used for centering the TPS. I have to chase those damn things down every time I do a TB lever swap and one falls off and rolls away...
                The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                  Those are sealed bearings if I'm not overly mistaken. They aren't supposed to have the seals come out. If they had a dirt seal instead of sealed bearings, then it should be the same on an HO and a non-HO body I'd expect. I have one of Scott's throttle bodies here for sizing purposes, I can look at it later.
                  These are like HRG said, they aren't a part of the bearing and came out easily. Bearings seemed to be pressed in so when I did my cleaning & stuff they had to stay along for the ride. I tried pushing oil back into them and they came to life again.

Funny how the LoPo & HO TB's are so similar yet the engineering behind the throttle shaft & bearings is different. If it was me I would've had it so that they used the same shaft (they're the same length & diameter anyway) & ball bearings but with different diameter throttle butterflies, keeping cost down. Instead, one of 'em has a slot that throttle blade/butterfly rests in and the other is notched IIRC. Stupid. OH well. Not to mention that some of the throttle blades have larger diameter holes in them. I had one with a larger air bleed hole but then found one that has the same size hole as my LoPo, sweetness.

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                  It's a plastic bushing typically used for centering the TPS. I have to chase those damn things down every time I do a TB lever swap and one falls off and rolls away...
                  That's it and that's what happened. In the midst of stripping & prepping the junk HO upper I had on hand I lost one of the two I though I retained while I threw away at least one TB that could've been scavenged for parts. Now that's the only thing keeping me from doing the swap. Been checking inventories at the yards with no luck.

Comment

hm, can't say I recall that piece. Maybe I haven't ever had one. I looked at the throttle body I have sitting here. No TPS on it, and no extra thingy in there. Just the sealed bearing is visible down there in the hole.
                    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Can I see some pic of the ho intake

Comment

Elias, the HO intake looks exactly like the one that's likely on your car now. The differences are internal, the main passage where air enters in from the throttle body is larger.
                        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                        The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Was the mustang gt the only car that had the ho intake and from what years would it fit

Comment

88-92 Lincoln Mark VII, and all 87-93 5.0 Mustangs have them.

Fits 86-91 Ford/Mercury and 86-90 Lincolns with the non-HO 5.0. Basically if it looks like whats on your car, its the right thing. It will need a bored out EGR spacer and a modified throttle body to make it all work correctly.

Comment

Anyone happen to have any spare black bushings for the throttle shaft???

Comment

Last question I always thought this one was the ho intake so what's the difference from these and will it fit the Marquis

Comment

Working...
                                X