• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

92 Spindles on a 91?

What I am trying to solve:
    2002 LX Sport rims on front of 1991 box without spacers
    Ability to still use my 15" stock steelies

After a further 2 hours of research, I think I have figured out a solution. Please let me know if I got it right.

What I think I found out:
    91 and 92-4 used the same calipers (from forum search)
    91 and 92-94 used the same diameter of rotor, but of course different type (from forum search)
    91 and 92-94 and some later is seems use the same lower ball joint (from Moog website and Orielly auto site)
    91 and 92-94 used similar tie rod ends, at least the taper end that goes into the spindle (guessing since nobody complains of this one)
    91 and 92-94 used similar sway bar mounting to the lower control arm, so the spindle should clear (guessing since nobody complains of this one)

What I think I can do to achieve my goal:
    Use 92-94 upper control arms on my 91 box
    Use 92-94 spindle, wheel bearing hub and caliper bracket on my 91 box
    Get some new 92-94 rotors
    Re-use my stock 91 calipers

Theoretically this will give me the bearing hub type front suspension and still have a small enough diameter brake to fit the 15's, while also letting me run my 17" rims without any spacers.

Thoughts?

Yup. That should work just fine. And I'm here contemplating putting HPPs on my 93 so I can later do a big brake swap.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks Sly. Do you happen to know of any differences between civilian and police/taxi versions of the upper arms on the 92-94?

Comment

i would do a 96-97 brake conversion.........can still run 15" wheels..............ability to upgrade easilly after that to 98-02 big brakes.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

yes... the police upper arms use smaller bushings (or bearings). Use civi arms. much easier to service.

+1 what Scott said about 95-97 spindles/brakes as it's the same spindle for the 98-02 big brakes... though if you're planning to not replace the calipers, yeah... stick with 92-94. If you're just going for getting the easy to replace rotors with the least investment... 92-94.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Got it, thanks again folks.

Comment

Hate to be a dickhole but can anyone point me to an itemized list of exactly what I need for big-brake swap. I plan to get all-new parts if possible. Want this car to stop like my '98 did. I know the '90+ had a wider rear axle so would I be better off getting a later axle assembly or just modding my current one? I know these are noob questions for somebody who's been here a little while but when I read too much tech my eyes go crossed. Currie enterprises is within a short drive for me so should I just hit them up for a complete rearend? I know it's overboard, but someday this car might end up being a bit overboard. Severe turbocharging has been proposed and not yet thrown out...

Comment

Big Brake info:
                http://www.grandmarq.net/85crownLX/p...ig_Brakes.html

Comment

2002 wheels fit fine on a 91. No point changing it to a 92, same size shitty brakes.
                  86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                  5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                  I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
                    2002 wheels fit fine on a 91. No point changing it to a 92, same size shitty brakes.
                    I beg to differ on my P72. Rear yes, easy. Front, the smaller diameter of the inside of the wheel where the center cap snaps in does not allow the wheel to slide over the rotor/hub, since they are one giant piece.

Comment

Hm, I know people are running HPP wheels on stock box front rotors. Guess the LX Sport wheels are smaller bore. Still though, if you're going to the bother of changing the spindles you may as well make it count. The 92 brakes suck as much as box brakes do.
                      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Going to bump this up......

I have a 2001 Vic, want to run a 15" wheel on the front (and rear).

If I'm reading this right, all I have to do is swap the calipers from my 2001 to calipers from a 97?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Along with the spindle (to get the proper mounting point for the caliper) and hub (because different spindle) and possibly the upper ball joint (because they may have a different mount depth or bevel). I think the lower ball joint may be different too, but check the application charts as they will say if 97 is the same as 2000. I know the lower control arm is the same.

Comment

The spindles are the same 1995-2002

To run 95-97 brakes on a 2001, you will need these parts:
                            95-97 hub bearing
                            95-97 rotor
                            95-97 caliper bracket
                            95-97 caliper
                            95-97 brake pads

and a head exam. Why on earth anyone would want to downgrade their brakes just to run some other wheel is beyond me. Don't kill yourself with shitty brakes just to look cool. 15" tires are like driving on Jello anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                              yes... the police upper arms use smaller bushings (or bearings). Use civi arms. much easier to service.

+1 what Scott said about 95-97 spindles/brakes as it's the same spindle for the 98-02 big brakes... though if you're planning to not replace the calipers, yeah... stick with 92-94. If you're just going for getting the easy to replace rotors with the least investment... 92-94.
                              Are the spindles, hubs, and upper control arms all you need to do this with 92-94 parts? Besides the joints and such to attach them, I mean.

Wouldn't cause any alignment issues, would it?
                              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Working...
                              X