Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

front/rear axle differences?

Hey guys,

I was planning on just searching this but was unsure of what keywords to search for this: Is there a difference between the width of the front and rear axles, like a 1/2 or 1/4 inch discrepancy or something? Until I get new rims I want my current rims to sit flush front-back. I guess I could measure how far they sit out myself but might as well get some axle width numbers...

1985 LTD Crown Vic, factory hard top, 302 soon to be gt40p headed (lightly ported & blended), summit brand stealth (port matched), stock cam, summit annular 600cfm VS, dual exhaust, 3.55 LSD, AOD, electric fan swap, tan interior.

on boxes 79-89 the difference is like 2 inches (inch either side) with the rear being narrower. 90 seems to be a one-off year being only an inch narrower and 91+ have the same track width front and rear IIRC. I think there's also some crossover in 90 and 91 so they may not all be the same.

I'm not sure if my memory is exact on the numbers though, but 79-89 had the narrowest rear.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Okay thanks, thats what i needed. And the 79-89 sounds about right, thats what it looks like.

1985 LTD Crown Vic, factory hard top, 302 soon to be gt40p headed (lightly ported & blended), summit brand stealth (port matched), stock cam, summit annular 600cfm VS, dual exhaust, 3.55 LSD, AOD, electric fan swap, tan interior.

Comment

Working...
      X