PotM GrandMarq.NET - Panther Headquarters Forum Index PotM
GMN Chat Room GMN's STORE!! GMN's Gallery Please!!

Thread: Wheel Spacer/Adapter Experiences

Default Wheel Spacer/Adapter Experiences

Hey guys,

Another question:

I have the chance to buy some 20mm hubcentric wheel spacers at about 60$ each, brand new made by Eibach. Will the studs be sticking out too much because thats not very thick and I'm thinking the lugs might stick out too far and hit the rims. I guess I'd have to make sure the rims have a space at the back for them?

Anybody have any expereinces with wheel adapters?

here's a pic
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	$_27.JPG 
Views:	58 
Size:	24.9 KB 
ID:	45036

1985 LTD Crown Vic, factory hard top, 302 soon to be gt40p headed (lightly ported & blended), summit brand stealth (port matched), stock cam, summit annular 600cfm VS, dual exhaust, 3.55 LSD, AOD, electric fan swap, tan interior.

I run 1in spacers on my 88 in the rear because it looks dumb without them for some reason. I don't have any problems but with the 20mm you're short about a 1/4 inch... Measure your studs. If they are longer than 20mm, you know they won't fit. The spacers should come with appropriate lugs.

I'll add that turbines have a small amount of clearance for studs that stick out but not a lot. Check the wheels you want to run.
    1988 Crown Vic Wagon - daily
    1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, former lawn ornament
    Other: 95 Ranger, 74 F250, 68 Mustang, 94 Mustang
    Sold: 1982 LTD and 1987 Crown Vic

GMN Box Panther History
    Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
    Box Panther Production Numbers

I also ran 1" spacers in the rear and had to trim the studs down

I have a pair of those that are 1 1/4 inch that I decided not to use. I don't remember how much I paid for them, but I know they weren't cheap. You can have em if you want.

They're T6 billet and they're thick enough to accomodate the whole lug, so you won't have to worry about that.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160415_195544.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	140.3 KB 
ID:	45037
    Last edited by ootdega; 04-15-2016 at 11:10 PM.
    89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

I add a question to this spacer thread.

Would spacers with a centerhole diameter of 70.3 fit my 88 Town Car with a hub diameter of 70.5?

Thanks,

Gerald

It would be extremely tight if it did fit, but most likely not.

I recommend anyone installing the spacers to use thread locker on them, just for piece of mind that they won’t come loose.

I'm an air-conditioned gypsy gadget73's Avatar

If the hole in the spacer is smaller than the hub, its not going to fit. I would suggest measuring the hub to confirm if you got that measurement from somewhere online.

86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC SE, triple black (Timewarp) - poly front bushings, KYB struts and shocks, Holley SystemMax1 lower intake, SilverFox AOD valve body,

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Quote Originally Posted by phayzer5 View Post
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

I post a lot...

A former co worker had spacers on his car, he had his wife and kids were in the car and he was driveing home on the freeway and the next thing happend the spacers went kaput and ended up breaking the lug nuts on his car, he prevailed on friends to tow him to work, he did get his car fixed. He swore he would never use wheel spacers again.

I post a lot... knucklehead0202's Avatar

Yeah there's lots of stories from guys that have never had a problem with spacers. But then there's the poor bastards that have had their fucking wheels fall off. Not big on that sort of thing so i'd rather just get the right backspace. Same reason i don't like to fly: Sure you're more likely to have a car accident than a plane crash, but typically your car doesn't fall out of the sky.