1/2" combination wrench
    TFI socket tool
    Timing light
    Magnetic pickup tool

Supplies:

Carb cleaner
    Rags
    Paint pen

If car will start, check & record base ignition timing. Don't forget to remove the SPOUT spud when checking.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2816.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	1303472

The damper was covered with surface rust and the timing marks could no longer be discerned, so I cleaned them with Scotchbrite and carb cleaner, then marked the zero and 10* BTDC marks with a paint pen.

Name:	IMG_2805.jpg
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	1303473

Since I was using a "dial back" timing gun I used the zero mark. it was set at 13*. Every 5.0 HO that I have has liked a different amount of lead. The MegaMerc is quite happy to run on 87 octane without pinging.

It is helpful to remove the Alternator brace for easy access to the TFI bolts.

Name:	IMG_2813.jpg
Size:	103.7 KB
ID:	1303474

Then disconnect the distributor connector (push in on the tab) loosen the Distributor hold down bolt just a little, turn the distributor till you can access both TFI bolts easily and snug the Dist back down.

The TFI bolts require either a "special tool" or grinding down a socket to fit into the recesses of the TFI

Name:	IMG_2811.jpg
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	1303475

I used a magnet tool to prevent dropping the bolts.

Once the bolts have been removed, the TFI can be pulled straight down.

Clean the Heat paste from the mounting surface of the distributor. I used some Carb cleaner.

Name:	IMG_2807.jpg
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	1303476

(before cleaning....)

Spread Some Conductive Heat paste on the entire back of the TFI's mounting surface.

Name:	IMG_2810.jpg
Size:	139.0 KB
ID:	1303477

Reverse removal procedure to re-install.

Reset base ignition timing to your starting point. If you were unable to check before you started, set it to 10* BTDC.

Reinsert the SPOUT spud.

Happy motoring!
    Last edited by mitymerc; 04-22-2016, 10:01 PM. Reason: Speeling

87 Ford LTD Crown Victoria Country Squire Station Wagon. 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, Boxed LCA's, Explorer Intake, 65mm T-body, 'Stang Cam, 'Stang Air tube, K&N, GT-40X Heads, 1" Spacer, 1 5/8 BBK's, 2.5" Pypes X-pipe w/high flow cats, Single Chamber Thunderbolts, B&M 'vertor, Po-lice Swaybars.

91 Mercury Grand Marquis Colony Park Station Wagon. K-Code, 4.10's, Repacked Trac Loc, MK VII LSC Engine, 'Stang Upper Intake, Stang Air Tube, K&N, 65 mm T-Body, 'Stang Headers, 'Stang Cat Pipe,'Stang Torque Convertor, 2 Chamber Thunderbolts.

Great writeup and very helpful.
    I found the removal tool at NAPA for under $5.00.

THANK YOU!
    90 Colony Park LS with GT 40 heads and intake. HO cam, 65 MM TB, 67 MM EGR spacer. Has a 75 MM Pro Flow mass air sensor. Borla XS mufflers. 3L55. Shift kit, 2000 stall Tq convertor...Bilstein shocks, front and rear sway bars.
    90 Colony Park LS 64,000 miles all original. 3L55 tow package....front and rear sway bars.
    91 Grand Marquis GS....HO motor..Bilstein shocks poly bushings and police swaybars. This one handles the best.
    70 Torino Squire with M code 351 Cleveland 3.00 has Magnaflow mufflers. Hidden headlights and power windows. All original

Comment

Working...
    X