No announcement yet.

Ok, so axle lengths, wtf?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I did find these examples to copy/paste. Seems the larger ones were used with a larger axel tube also so the bearing would not fit in our axel tubes either. Now that I looked back at axels, I vaguely remember small and large bearing being listed on performance shafts.

Bearing Example:
    2000 Ford Ranger 8.8-Inch 28-spline axle bearing ID= 1.399", OD= 2.2948" (1563 series bearing)
    1999 Ford Explorer 8.8-Inch 31-spline axle bearing ID= 1.1618", OD= 2.5333" (1559 series bearing)
    sigpic
    89 LTC 429>557 Cobrajet stroker
    13 F-150 XLT 6.2 l
    "If I could separate what's real from what I've been dreaming I could live to fight another day"

Comment

aha, thats it then. I didn't realize there were small and large bearing journal options for the 31 spline. I thought there was the 28 spline size, and the bigger 31 spline size.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        aha, thats it then. I didn't realize there were small and large bearing journal options for the 31 spline. I thought there was the 28 spline size, and the bigger 31 spline size.
        I just measured all my axles last week, stock 28 from a '97, stock 31 from an '05 and Moser 31, all the same at the bearing but spline end is larger on 31 spline. It was 34mm vs 31mm, and all are about 35mm at the bearing.
        1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

I sat down and read this thread, knowing that at the moment, it doesnt pertain to my life at all. And even in the future, I will probably never rebuild a rear end, just send it to a shop. But knowing the info is here, whether I ever need it or not, is very reassuring. I appreciate the extra work you guys did to help the OP get the info he needed. I love you guys.
          Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
          Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Originally posted by lincolnlarry View Post
            There it is! 30 7/8"
            Weren't the '90-'91 a little longer? I'm still trying to puzzle this out but if I can figure out exactly what I need, i'll either order it from Dutchman or moser like you said. Thanks larry.

Comment

Guys...I already posted a chart that lists every relevant piece of information for just about everything that isn't a truck that has ever used an 8.8... Post #6.

Almost all of these questions are answered right there... You can even save the .pdf file if you want.

You have 30 7/8 without ABS until halfway through 91. From 89 to 2002, you have 32 1/4 if you have ABS.

If it's a 91, you might have 30 7/8 or 31 5/8 without ABS.

Yours is a 90, so you avoid that can of worms.
              Last edited by ootdega; 05-03-2016, 10:00 PM.
              89 Grand Marquis GS.

Putting it here because I keep forgetting to mention it. It's not very exciting at the moment.

Comment

Yay!

Comment

Working...
                X