Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New guy. Possibly joining the community.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New guy. Possibly joining the community.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2472.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	1303478Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2473.jpg
Size:	98.6 KB
ID:	1303479Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2477.jpg
Size:	125.9 KB
ID:	1303480Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2479.jpg
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	1303481Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2481.jpg
Size:	98.1 KB
ID:	1303482Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2482.jpg
Size:	108.1 KB
ID:	1303483Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2484.jpg
Size:	116.0 KB
ID:	1303484

My pops did some work for a fella who paid him with a 91 Grand Marquis. He asked me to sell it for him but after doing some research on the car today, I thought it may be somthing to hang on to. The car is in pretty good shape. It has 44k original miles. Any thoughts on this vehicle? He wants 3k for it.

A little about me. I'm no mechanic but I like to work on cars. I'm also really good on the computer as far as finding parts, tech info and writeups. I have a 72 ford f100 I've been restoring the last few years and have really enjoyed it. Ideally I'd be doing most on the maintenence and upgrades myself.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your time,
    1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LE SOLD

1972 Ford F100 Custom - 5.9 - Stock

2011 Ford Fusion SE - 2.5 - Stock

2018 Toyota Highlander XLE

Welcome to the forum.

Hold onto the vehicle for yourself if you need a reliable car. If only 44k it will last you many years.
    ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
    My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
    My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
    But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
    my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

"Possibly joining"? I think the panther has already sucked you in. =-)
      Keep it. Boxes have character, easy to work on, a few easily overcome quirks once you know about them, excellent turning circle and excellent highway cruisers.

Alex.

Comment

Keep it - you'll love it!
        Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
        Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Nice car whether it's 44k or 144k!
          But check it out and don't just believe it's 44k, those speedo/trip gears are broken on almost all of them.
          Are the odometer and trip odometer working?

Comment

Think of it this way - where else you are going to get a reliable almost can't kill it car with 44k for three grand? Plus maybe your pops would cut you a discount?
            I got my first box as a gift. I realized it was a better car than anything else I had. Super reliable. Fairly easy to tinker with in terms of maintenance and performance upgrades. Cheap. Fairly decent mpg for what they are. Drive it for a bit and see if you don't agree. If not, then you can sell it with peace of mind!
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Also, we might be biased as we all drive (or have driven) these cars.

They are very good tanks though.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

keep it as an investment? Eh. Probably not worth the time. Keep it as a fun, reasonably practical thing to cruise around in? hell yeah.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
                160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
                waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  That can go either way tho, there are times I don't even wanna roll outta bed knowing I got a date with one of them demons later that day

Joke aside, they are great cars - quite reliable, cheap to fix, cheaper to maintain, quite comfortable, and look pretty decent too. Downside they're kinda old-fashioned, and they're not exactly fast by today's standards - both of which can be fixed easy enough if one decides there is need for it.
                  The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                  The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Welcome, I think Alex is right, it has already sucked you in

Your car looks to be in great shape, I'd keep it. They're nice & plushy and despite they're age I find the ride quality hard to beat. Fun spotting them in movies. Just watched "Soaked in Bleach" yesterday on Netflix and when Kurt was picked up at the air port I saw a box TC that was similar to mine and had to smile.
                    1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                    1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                      Welcome, I think Alex is right, it has already sucked you in

Your car looks to be in great shape, I'd keep it. They're nice & plushy and despite they're age I find the ride quality hard to beat. Fun spotting them in movies. Just watched "Soaked in Bleach" yesterday on Netflix and when Kurt was picked up at the air port I saw a box TC that was similar to mine and had to smile.
                      Originally posted by GM_Guy View Post
                      "Possibly joining"? I think the panther has already sucked you in. =-)
                      Keep it. Boxes have character, easy to work on, a few easily overcome quirks once you know about them, excellent turning circle and excellent highway cruisers.

Alex.
                      Thanks yall. What's up with this panther thing? Sounds kinda cool.

Comment

Welcome!

Panther is the name of the platform that these cars are built on. Crown Victoria, Grand Marquis, Town Car, and the (early 80s only) Mark series (don't recall which number, IV?).

I've never sold a vehicle, but from my observations it seems that these cars are hard to sell since most people who actually like them already have at least one. It also doesn't help that there are people like me who are just cheap and want to spend as little money on a car as possible.
                        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                          Welcome to the forum.

Hold onto the vehicle for yourself if you need a reliable car. If only 44k it will last you many years.
                          Originally posted by mcninetyone View Post
                          Nice car whether it's 44k or 144k!
                          But check it out and don't just believe it's 44k, those speedo/trip gears are broken on almost all of them.
                          Are the odometer and trip odometer working?
                          44k sounds hard to believe. I texted him yesterday and asked again what's wrong with the car and is that the true miliage or is there a chance it could have rolled over or stopped working? He responded with "Its a one owner, old lady had it no roll over" He lives 300 miles north of me in a really small town of 2500 people so he possible could have found a sleeper. He's had it about 6 months. I saw it in person last time I visited in January and it was extremely clean on the interior especially the back seat. My wife said it looked like a rolling coffin.

I told him he has someone interested but I didn't tell him it was me yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                            Keep it - you'll love it!
                            Thank you. I'm interested for sure.

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                            Think of it this way - where else you are going to get a reliable almost can't kill it car with 44k for three grand? Plus maybe your pops would cut you a discount?
                            I got my first box as a gift. I realized it was a better car than anything else I had. Super reliable. Fairly easy to tinker with in terms of maintenance and performance upgrades. Cheap. Fairly decent mpg for what they are. Drive it for a bit and see if you don't agree. If not, then you can sell it with peace of mind!
                            I haven't driven it yet. Stinks I can't just take it for a cruise and do a more serious inspection. I'll have to go up there for the weekend and possibly visit the DMV.

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                            keep it as an investment? Eh. Probably not worth the time. Keep it as a fun, reasonably practical thing to cruise around in? hell yeah.
                            I bet I could have fun with it. Plus I have 3 daughters and they might actually fit in the backseat.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                              That can go either way tho, there are times I don't even wanna roll outta bed knowing I got a date with one of them demons later that day

Joke aside, they are great cars - quite reliable, cheap to fix, cheaper to maintain, quite comfortable, and look pretty decent too. Downside they're kinda old-fashioned, and they're not exactly fast by today's standards - both of which can be fixed easy enough if one decides there is need for it.
                              My cars are slow. Especially my pickup. It would be cool to be able to spin the tires. I like the sound of exhaust on a v8. I would want to dual it out if possible.

Originally posted by sly View Post

They are very good tanks though.
                              I was thinking about that last night. I go to an enthusiast forum and ask what they think about there cars haha. Seriously though, thanks for all the feedback.

Comment

Working...
                              X