Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

About to buy an '89 Grand Marquis. Any tips?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

About to buy an '89 Grand Marquis. Any tips?

Click image for larger version

Name:	01717_jjHnQ8zMsjw_600x450.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	1303485

About to buy this beautiful car. It has 145k miles and was owned by an older gentlemen for the majority of its life. What are some common problems I should look out for or things I can do to keep this tank going down the road for several more years? I am pretty mechanically inclined and I already plan on doing all the normal tune up stuff, fluids, etc. In the future, I would like to convert it to dual exhaust as well. Would love to get some insight on people who own these cars since this is actually my first Ford/Mercury purchase altogether!

Check the frame right front, roughly below where the door and fender meet. It is the most common rot spot.

Change the pcv and the filter below it.

Make sure the kickdown for the transmission has a brass bushing not a plastic one.

I think those are biggest 1st round items for these cars.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Very nice!

You sure that's not a '91? The color of the wheels, the pinstripe location, and the shadow on the passenger side C-pillar are the reasons I ask.
      If there is an airbag on the steering wheel it's not an '89.

+1 on everything Jaywish said.

There are a few minor issues that these cars develop with age that I wouldn't let be a deal breaker. Window motors and door lock actuators may need attention. Replace bushings inside the window motors and lube or replace the door lock actuators.
      Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
      ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
      ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Yeah it is actually a 91! AND it only has 100743 miles. Everything so far you guys mentioned checked out. It feels like it needs a tune up. The car moves to the right when you press the brakes, I suspect it is related to my passenger rear drum brake smelling really bad. 2 of the 4 windows don't roll down. The cruise doesn't work. I suspect a fuse or vacuum issue. Damn, this thing is bigger than I thought it would be.

Comment

Is there a list of recommended parts to use, say, for spark plugs etc? I'm guessing Motorcraft coppers of some sort. Will be using as many OEM parts as I can to get it back to peak efficiency.

Comment

Front brake calipers are also notorious for sticking too, which may explain the pulling. My right front stuck within about a month of having my '90. Worth looking at the rears too I suppose but yeah, went to do pads on mine and the right front caliper was stuck solid. Check out the stuff the others have mentioned but for the most part, these don't have any other major issues aside from being 25+ years old.

Kudos on it being a '91 too, fuel pumps are much easier to change! Once you dig into it we can walk you through all the other stuff. Dual exhaust is a good idea first and foremost. Gotta let that v8 talk, even if it's not super-powerful. These boats move around alright in stock form, and pretty much all the bolt-ons for a mustang will work on these so in essence there is a decent aftermarket.

Oh yeah, they are also notorious for vacuum leaks so that would be a good thing to look over. Good luck and we look forward to seeing her grow up.

Comment

Thanks for the info. I will probably do a complete overhaul eventually, of the brakes and front end components etc once I get the car up in the air and take a gander. Here are a few more pics I just took:

Click image for larger version

Name:	20160427_193120.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1280068Click image for larger version

Name:	20160427_193130.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	143.1 KB
ID:	1280069Click image for larger version

Name:	20160427_193145.jpg
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	1280070Click image for larger version

Name:	20160427_193219.jpg
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1280071Click image for larger version

Name:	20160427_193258.jpg
Size:	98.5 KB
ID:	1280072

Comment

If it's been sitting much, brakes need looked at. I've stuck the right front caliper three times on my 88. Buy new ones with lifetime warranties!

Car looks great! I want your wheels for my 90.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

All the stuff mentioned still applies to a '91, and if the odometer does not work that's also a very common problem for '90 and newer. Replacement gears for the cluster will take car of that.

On my blue '91, when I finally got it on the road, the left front caliper would not return when it got hot but that car sat for 6 or 7 years before I bought it.

The alternator on both of my '91s bit the dust on their first 20+ mile drive, but sitting didn't help either of them. I believe The Scab (brown '91) sat for about year before I bought it.

I removed/disconnected the lock actuators in both front doors on my '89 and both of my '91s since I didn't feel like dealing with them. The locks on the rear doors on The Scab didn't work very well but I lubed everything up and they now work with one push of the button. They actually work better than the locks on the rear doors of the blue '91 now. I have to push the button multiple times in the blue one to get the locks to travel their full travel range, so some lube should cure that I suppose.
                  Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                  ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I will probably take all the panels off and go through and lube/replace whatever power window/lock items are broken. The A/C in this thing is ice cold which is great but I absolutely HAVE to have a working driver's side window

Currently putting together a shopping list of basic tune up stuff. For the plugs I'm going with MOTORCRAFT SP409 {#AWSF44C} which is OEM I believe. Plus Motorcraft cap, rotor/ wires, etc etc. Future plans include taking the Y-pipe out, replacing it with an H pipe and finishing off the dual exhaust with some Flowmaster 40's (need to hear more exhaust clips to make final decision on mufflers though). I also want to do an A-pillar tach and electronic oil pressure gauge. My understanding is you can eliminate the dummy sensor, pipe in an extension/adapter from a Mustang, and thread the aftermarket pressure sensor there.

Comment

Looking at the pictures, very nice by the way, reminded me that the heat and mode levers on the heater controls will likely be very sloppy.
                      Here's an idea on how that issue can be fixed: http://www.grandmarq.net/vb/showthre...l=1#post770671. There is also some discussion for some context before and after that post.
                      The other option is to retrofit a newer system into the car.

I see you got the nice (imo) seats, I have those same seats in my '89 and the blue '91 and I sit a couple inches higher on those seats than I do in the seats in The Scab. That interior color looks the same as what I have in The Scab.

If the AC still works, it looks like it probably is still running R12 based on the lack of adapters for the equipment associated with R134a

Oh, and how are the horns? The horns on both of my '91s only have one working at best, most of the time neither works on The Scab.
                      Vic

~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                      ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"

Comment

I didn't mess with the temp lever and only moved the mode lever from "off" to "A/C" and it did feel a little sloppy, although it did lock/snap into position easily enough.

When I do my trans fluid/filter service I'm interested in installing a shift kit, probably the Transgo NoYoYo kit. I've installed something similiar in a 4T65-E on an 02 Olds Intrigue but it didn't require valve body removal. Is it worth installing a kit like that on my car, considering how much you have to remove?

The horns work great, really loud lol.

Comment

Nice looking box! We need more pro box people here! What I like about he 90+ cars is how clean the fenderwells got compared to the previous ones. Blow those horns regularly. Usually only one of mine works but when both do the fuse blows and then I lose cruise control until I replace the fuse. Still have to fab up brackets for aftermarket horns but want to do that using stock brackets, which I have but am also lazy.
                          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
                            Nice looking box! We need more pro box people here! What I like about he 90+ cars is how clean the fenderwells got compared to the previous ones. Blow those horns regularly. Usually only one of mine works but when both do the fuse blows and then I lose cruise control until I replace the fuse. Still have to fab up brackets for aftermarket horns but want to do that using stock brackets, which I have but am also lazy.
                            Does cruise not have its own separate fuse? I haven't had time to investigate because I got it home last night and parked it before the storms hit...but my cruise doesn't work & my horns do.

Comment

Those non working windows are probably those plastic bushings, need to replace those with nuts.
                              And if the window motors have never been out, then you'll have to drill holes to get to the bolts.

Comment

Working...
                              X