Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    And he said he didn't know much!
    I just have access to the information, lol.

+1 on what Sly said.

If it comes to replacement of the control head 90-94 CV/MGM will work and 90 to, I think, 92 TC will work (I know 93 TC is different, but I've got no info on 91-92).

If a bad BDA is capable of burning out the control head I wonder if you would see noticeable scorching on the PCB if you trace the pins you tested?
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

All good info - I will check the inside of the ATC when I get back home on Sunday. It's weird, now the BDA has moved again slightly and is not full AC anymore - but also not full heat.

Definitely seems like an electrical glitch now that the door has moved twice.
      1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

Ok, I opened up the ATC and here is what I found on the circuit board....looks like one of the capacitors, resistors or whatever leaked quite a bit. Any of you guys know electronics and which one might be leaking?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Cicuit Board smaller 3.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	1280086Click image for larger version

Name:	CIrcuit Board smaller 2.jpg
Size:	74.1 KB
ID:	1280087Click image for larger version

Name:	circuit board smaller.jpg
Size:	98.8 KB
ID:	1280088

I assume this is my issue...best to just get another ATC at this point?

OR - is this maybe something a failing BDA could have caused? I'd rather not change the BDA if I can help it...

Thanks for the opinions and advice!
        Attached Files
        1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

Looks more like glue used to secure things. If the leads are green and fuzzy, thats leaking magic capacitor juice. They might still be bad though.

How do the mechanicals in the BDA look?
          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

There is one area of green on the board near one of the resistors - you can see it streaked down but It's not coming from a capacitor I don' think? I didn't pull the BDA because of how buried it is in the dash, I'd have to take down the whole dash to get to it...I'm trying to avoid that if I can since I don't have that much time right now.

I may grab a good looking Junkyard ATC and try it out unless you guys think this one looks good. It didn't seem to deliver the right voltage during the testing. Just trying to replace the right thing...

Comment

Looks more like marker. When it has corrosion, its green or blue and fuzzy like a bad battery cable. The only two caps that are the failure prone type I see are around the glue, one is a red body the other is purple. Nothing else on that board is anything that typically goes bad from age or heat.
              86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
              5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

+1 the yellow stuff is glue. And those caps look fine from what I can see in the pics. The usual issue with these isn't so much the controls, but the connections. Oxidation and corrosion can be an issue. and if the solder joints on the board to the pins are cracked, that would be the issue. The components all look ok. I'd look real close at the solder joints and make sure they all look good with no cracks. Other than that, hose the connector with contact cleaner and call it good and put it all back together and continue checking out the BDA. The reason I think a connector issue is because stuff started sorta working after you probed stuff.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                X