Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gas Gauge rubbing against cluster

Hello all.

87 Grand Marq. My gas gauge is rubbing against the instrument cluster causing it to stick and not move and when it does move it jumps and still hugs the cluster. This has happened before and usually a couple of precision taps the center will make it find its sweet spot where it balances and glides smoothly. Push it too hard and it will stick too much outward and won't move smoothly

My question is, can the part be replaced and/or there a trick to make it go back to normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok so I think I got it. Car off. Push center so needle is outward too much away from the dash. Then push it ever so slightly and seemed to bounce back where it was.

Comment

Ugh. No. It keeps falling back down.. Any advice?

Comment

My experience taking apart pre '90 clusters is pretty limited.
        If the parts for the gas gauge are any good from the parts cluster I gave you maybe you could swap that in. I don't remember what shape that cluster was in, at least cosmetically, but the parts that are left of it should still work.
        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

The gauge gauge on an 89 and down Crown Victoria is replaceable. I do not have experience on the 89 and down grand Marquis but I'd imagine it is.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

the gauge is stupid easy to replace in the Merc cluster. The needle pulls off, the cover comes off, and the actual gauge pulls out of the back via 3 pins. You should be able to replace it with any gauge from any Mercury full size Marquis 79-89.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

If you don't want to go the junkyard to find a replacement gauge like sly suggested and if the tiny metal rod isn't broken & the gauge still works you could try to pull the trim around the cluster, remove the clear lense & re-seat the indicator needle. In the past I've found those don't have any sort of notch to help you get them in the right position. I think the fuel gauge on these "float" when you turn the key off, so what I'd do is top off the tank & re set the needle with the key on at full. The whole thing pulls out so you could use super glue if you wanted to make sure it never comes out without hulk-smashing it.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

87? Replace the gauge. And DO NOT TOUCH THE NEEDLE. Once they get messed with they'll do exactly what it's doing now. The earlier gauges are different (89 and down). To remove, you have to disassemble the front of the cluster to expose the front of the gauge. After that it's two nuts on the back of the cluster.

Comment

Do they sell replacements or is it up to the junkyard gods

Comment

The parts cluster you got from me doesn't have it? I think that parts cluster was out of an '88 Grand Marquis, but it should be the same part.
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Working...
                    X