Temperature Sending Unit - Aftermarket

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Temperature Sending Unit - Aftermarket

I'm trying to install a mechanical temperature gauge into my 89 Colony Park 302/SEFI - I'm fed up with the JUNK VDO electrical gauge which doesn't even give out a good reading.

So I bought a mechanical one from Eqqus. No fittings will work. Joy.

Got another from Sunpro - a CP8207. This won't work either since the temperature SENDING unit is 1/8" threads. So now have to send this back to. What the hell do I do now...is there a fitting or something I'm missing?

Or is there a mechanical temperature gauge I can install in this car? Any ideas?
    -Nick M.
    Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
    03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

You need a bushing. I believe the thread in the intake is 3/8 NPT, so you'd need a 3/8 x 1/8 brass bushing that anyplace that sells plumbing ought to have. No, you won't be able to measure those dimensions anywhere either. Yay for pipe thread and it's bullshit measurements.

Gauges used to come with those bushings. Pretty chintzy if they aren't anymore.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

The OE sending unit equated to 1/8" threads.

The kit screw in fitting is like 3/8.
      Last edited by TecNickal; 05-05-2016, 10:42 PM.
      -Nick M.
      Columbia, SC

Comment

I have some of those fittings sitting around spare from my installs of gauges and whatnots. I can verify that they are what I think they are if actually needed. They may be aftermarket radiator adapters (trans cooler) though, they might be the right size. If you want me to check, I can. I have taps/dies for those sizes and can verify fitment.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Sunpro style line series came with those adapters you needed years back.
          ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
          My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
          My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
          But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
          my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by TecNickal View Post
            The OE sending unit equated to 1/8" threads.

The kit screw in fitting is like 3/8.
            The OE sender is NOT 1/8" NPT. It's either 1/4" NPT, or 3/8" NPT as Gadget suggested, but sure as fawkin hell ain't no 1/8" NPT. I can tell you tomorrow exactly what it is, since whatever you're using to measure things is obviously an epic fail.
            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I added my electrical gauge using a 3/8 NPT adapter for the 1/8 sender it came with. When I had a mechanical gauge, it came with one size(I think 1/2) but I had to get the 3/8 to make it work.
              1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

That's where I'm confused. the Adapters with the kit from Sunpro will not thread into the block. They provided 3 adapters to screw onto the one already on the line. They are all too big for the lower intake.

When I threaded the OEM sending unit into some fittings at the store, i thought it threaded into an 1/8" one perfectly, but I could be wrong. I just need a smaller one than what's included in the kit.

My other concern is that the probe won't extend into the intake.
                -Nick M.
                Columbia, SC

Comment

Got a picture of your parts?

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

In short - figured issue out - someone already has a fitting in the intake manifold and I have no way to remove it - any ideas?
                    -Nick M.
                    Columbia, SC

Comment

I verified the factory size as well, it is 3/8" NPT indeed. Aftermarket senders usually come with two reducer bushings, one is 1/2" NPT down to 1/8" NPT, and the other 3/8" NPT down to 1/8" NPT - usually you use the fatter one on diesels and industrial stuff, and the smaller one fits most regular gas jobs. Sometimes you luck out and end up with three reducers, the 3rd one being from 1/4" NPT down to 1/8" NPT - looks like you got that setup, which is nice.

To get the old bushing out you can use a standard EZ-out tool of proper size, you kinda just hammer it into the bushing till its flutes grab good, and then you start turning counter-clocskwise. National pipe thread (NPT) is a tapered interference fit, once you break the fit loose it will turn easier the more you back it out (not like a normal bolt that can actually stick even worse on you halfway out). At the same rate the EZ-out is also tapered, so the more you turn the stronger it bites. Yeah in the end you'll have the offending bushing stuck on the EZ-out nice and good, but at least it will be out. And to free up the EZ-out you just grab the bushing with a pipe wrench and turn the EZ-out clockwise, it will release easy.
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

[emoji106]

Comment

Thanks guys! Help is much appreciated. I'll play with it more soon...
                          -Nick M.
                          Columbia, SC

Comment

Working...
                          X