No announcement yet.

Code of death, or Code 18 re-appears...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I need to do the timing cover reseal anyways so when I am in there I will verify and install a new timing set, might as well.

Gadget, do you mess with the +/- 4* thing or install it straight up?

Also: pics of stuff! You can see the shielded IDM circuit looks pretty good, the wires are pliable and I don't see any evidence of trauma. The 22.3Kohm resistor on the other hand....
    Attached Files
    1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

I just set mine straight up. Don't rightly know if thats the best place for it or not. I suppose using a degree wheel to actually verify precisely where to put it would be ideal.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        I just set mine straight up. Don't rightly know if thats the best place for it or not. I suppose using a degree wheel to actually verify precisely where to put it would be ideal.
        My engine builder used a degree wheel when he set up the cam/crank timing, I don't remember what he set it to. I would have to find the buildsheet but I haven't seen that thing in years
        1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

Gotta ask: If I was to purchase a 22K ohm resistor, how much wattage should it be rated for?

Comment

Your pic indicates its 1/2w so that would do. it doesn't carry any load.
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Can you share some pics of the KNN air intake set up?
              ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
              My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
              My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
              But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
              my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                Can you share some pics of the KNN air intake set up?
                It's funny story, I found it in the junkyard one day, it was on a 4.0L Ranger. Just so happens to fit the 5.0 in the Panther perfectly! Also has adapters if you want to add a breather or a sensor.

Comment

Ya know, the problem with those K&N deals stems from the lube used for the filter. Tends to dirty up MAF sensors. Been troubling my dad's Camaro ever since I put his on and I don't over oil it.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

yeah I have no love for them either. I had one at one point, and I found that I really hated washing and oiling the thing. Paper filters for me thanks.

Pretty sure he's speed density though, so no MAF to worry about.

Comment

no issues with the oiler in the beater. I do have to clean the MAF every 10-20K on the 93 though. Thinking real hard about getting something else for that.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah it's a real PITA to clean, dry and then re-oil them. Probably a good idea to keep a spare on hand that's ready to drop in. I have to do dad's every 2 or 3 years, he doesn't put many miles on his car but it's additional work trying to clean that MAF, might actually be dead this time. Paper is just so much easier & faster. I don't think there's even a noticeable difference with the Camaro, other than it looks better.
                        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Today I jumped the IDM circuit wire from Pin 4 on the ECM to Pin 5 on the TFI connector and the coil negative (green) wire. I even soldiered in a brand new 22Kohm resistor. Now the engine starts and runs for about 10 seconds then dies. Tried twice. Still have code 18. It's not that wire...

what the ever living hell is wrong with this car?

Comment

Did some more testing today, here's what I did and found.

1st thing was swapping a new Coil in, car stalls after ~2 mins
                            2nd hooked up multimeter from Coil (+) to battery (-) and watched voltage - stayed steady at 13.3V even when engine stalled out. Coil has voltage.
                            3rd checked coil (-) green wire for resistance from pin 4 on ECM, ~22kohm, OK.
                            4th jumped SPOUT Y/LG from Pin 5 at TFI to Pin 36 on ECM, no change, engine stalled.
                            5th jumped DarkBlue wire Pin 1 TFI to pin 56 ECM, no change, engine stalled.
                            6th jumped Bk/Orange wire Pin 6 on TFI to Pin 16 ECM, no change except engine ran for 9 minutes before stalling instead of 1-2mins.
                            7th measured 3.89V from Coil (-) green wire to pin 4 at ECM, steady while engine running.

I'm starting to suspect this TFI module that come on this MSD ProBillet distributor...

Comment

So the voltage did not change when the engine stopped running? Thats a hint that the alternator isn't working. Usually its a good half to a full volt higher with the engine running vs not.

Put a bone stock boring Ford distributor in there with a known good PIP and TFI and see if anything changes.

I'll go dig up the manual for the Mark VII and see if its got any pinpoint tests for this code.

Comment

Ah, I can clarify. The voltage did drop from ~13.3V down to ~11.9V immediately after the engine stalled.

I will try and find one, that is a good idea.

The only think I can think of is the TFI connector is bad, because a couple times I was wiggling the wires it cut off, but many more times it did not. That or the Female Pin #4 or #36 or #56 on the ECM connector is just *slightly* spread open too far, enough that it cuts out, but that's a really long shot.

Just found out there is an 89' Lincoln Town car at the junkyard, so I know where I'm going tomorrow lol.
                                Last edited by 89LincolnTWNcar; 03-29-2017, 08:19 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X