No announcement yet.

Code of death, or Code 18 re-appears...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, the Mark VII manual doesn't have EEC-IV diag pinpoint tests. Its got them for every other system though.

Dunno, everything I read about this says is TFI, ECM, or wiring between. Since you've replaced all but the wiring between, thats probably not it. The IDM resistor is new and good, so the only other part of it is the connection between pin 38 and the TFI via the SPOUT connector. If you can read less than 5 ohms or so along that route, and infinite to ground, thats what it expects.

Just as a sanity check, you are running the grey module right? The black ones fit but they are different.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
      ok, the Mark VII manual doesn't have EEC-IV diag pinpoint tests. Its got them for every other system though.

Dunno, everything I read about this says is TFI, ECM, or wiring between. Since you've replaced all but the wiring between, thats probably not it. The IDM resistor is new and good, so the only other part of it is the connection between pin 38 and the TFI via the SPOUT connector. If you can read less than 5 ohms or so along that route, and infinite to ground, thats what it expects.

Just as a sanity check, you are running the grey module right? The black ones fit but they are different.
      Yup am running the grey TFI module.

I misspoke earlier. I also jumped pin 36 on ECM to pin 2 on the TFI, which is the Yellow/LG wire and it still stalled. So I basically eliminated the entire SPOUT connector and wire and still no change.

I don't know if it makes a difference, but for clarification purposes I just used a wire with alligator clamps on either end to jump the circuits one by one. I clamped the wires by using some automatic wire strippers to get a clean shot at the copper. I left the factory wires hooked up for these tests I mentioned earlier today.

Sorry it's been a long day, I appreciate the help too gadget!
      Last edited by 89LincolnTWNcar; 03-29-2017, 10:21 PM.
      1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

see if you can ohm that spout circuit to ground with the ECM and the TFI unplugged. It should not read anything, but if the wiring is somehow shorted to ground, bypassing it with a jumper won't change anything.

If it is shorted to ground, it ought to run with the spout unplugged, though of course it will have no advance.
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I will try that short to ground test tomorrow. I have noticed a lot of these Code 18 issues have been popping up on forums, on Broncos, F150's, Mustangs, Explorers, Aerostars, all from that era 1987-1995~ish. There's got to be some connection (or lack thereof ha ha) going on here. Maybe something in the wiring harness has just reached its age limit. The way it cuts off so cleanly, so quickly without any sputter at all, is almost like a circuit breaker opening or perhaps a switch going off. But then it fires right back up. I'll see if I can up load the video I got of the engine stalling.
          1989 Lincoln Town Car - "Anabelle" - Original block, .030 over with SpeedPro pistons, rods fitted with ARP hardware, FRPP +volume oil pump, GT-40 3bar heads, Crane 1.72 rockers, 89' Fox cam, 93' Cobra lower intake, Explorer upper and 65mm TB, 93' Lightning EGR spacer, K&N intake kit from a 4.0L Ranger, 19lb/hr injectors w/ 87 Mark VII ECM, cat/smog deletes, Big Brake conversion, 3.55 K-Code Trac-Lok/Disc brake rear axle, CVPI LCA's w/1" sway bar in rear, wagon front sway bar, BBK 2.5" off-road H-Pipe, Flowmaster super 40s, HPP wheels, 3G alternator w/LMR.com wiring kit, gear reduction starter conversion, Best 1/4 time: 16.0 @ 85mph.

Comment

does it still stall with no spout connection? that would isolate the ecm and the tfi from one another. Pretty sure it gives an 18 with no connector in place so that won't change.

Comment

does it still stall with no spout connection? that would isolate the ecm and the tfi from one another. Pretty sure it gives an 18 with no connector in place so that won't change.
              Haven't tried that but I will next.

I just replaced the whole harness and ECM relay with a unit from a 1989 LTC. The harness looked good and factory and it drove much better, but after about 45 minutes it cut off on me again. Engine still running but no advance, then it died. Code 18 persists. Alternator charging 13.9V at idle. Same thing it has been doing through 3 ecms, 2 coils, 5 distributors including 3 carquest, 1 motorcraft, and now an MSD, 2 alternators, 2 wiring harnesses, added and triple checked grounds, checked fuel pressure, new ignition switch, new spark plugs... I'm just about done with this thing.

I purchased a used motorcraft distributor and TFI while i was at the yard too, I'll drop it in tomorrow and see if anything changes, but I'm not expecting a 6th distributor to do much. The problem has to be on another circuit.
              Last edited by 89LincolnTWNcar; 03-30-2017, 06:13 PM.

Comment

Mark VII ECM, speed density right? No modifications to the harness at all?

Comment

Yep running an 88' Mark VII ECM, factory harness out of a 1989 Lincoln Town Car...

Do you remember when you and Scott came by my house all those years ago and fixed Anabelle in like ...20 mins? I need that to happen again!
                  Last edited by 89LincolnTWNcar; 03-30-2017, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Ok, so today all I did was drop in the old motorcraft distributor w/TFI on it that I got from the junkyard... and it runs fine. I have been messing with it for a little over an hour, letting it idle, doing some driving and running the AC, letting it get real hot, did one WOT pull. I can't get it to stall like it was before...

My Spark Disappeared (MSD) distributor is going back to Carquest, lol.

I don't know if this really fixed it yet, but it is much improved and seems to even idle smoother. I don't know what planet I live on that a junkyard distributor runs better than a $300 drag racing billet aluminum one, but whatever works I guess.

KOER: 94,44,33 I know about 94 and 44 being smog pump delete stuff. 33 is EGR
                    KOEO: 33
                    Last edited by 89LincolnTWNcar; 03-31-2017, 04:56 PM.

Comment

Yup... these engines seem to love stock parts and hate aftermarket stuff.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

I'd love to say I'm surprised, but honestly I am not. The stock stuff is boring, but it works. I find that as I get older, I like boring and functional more and more.

Comment

I'd love to say I'm surprised, but honestly I am not. The stock stuff is boring, but it works. I find that as I get older, I like boring and functional more and more.
                          Agreed 11ty billion percent.

So much absolute garbage is after cheezy. Dorkman is a prime example.

I'm thankful that Ford is still making some Motorcraft parts for the 5.0 (probably because of Mustang folks). But TPS, IAC, and ECT I've had issues with specially on Lopo 5.0. Cleaned up junkyard OEM or new motorcraft have taken care of the jssue
                          -Nick M.
                          Columbia, SC

66 Squire, 89 Colony Park, 90 TC, 03 TC, 06 TC, 07 TC (2x)
                          03 BMW 540iT, 07 Toyota Tundra SR5 Dbl Cab/5.7 2WD

Comment

This a bunch of times.
                            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

The first thing I did was go to the junkyard and pull a used Motorcraft distributor with TFI module, but that one failed after a couple months. I decided to try a new one from Carquest and went through 3 of them in less than a year. 1st one lasted 6 months, 2nd one lasted 2 months, and the third barely got me home after I swapped it on the side of the highway. This is why I bought the MSD because I thought it was the best aftermarket I could get, because I couldn't buy a Motorcraft distributor or TFI module anymore from the dealer. The only part I can find that is still available is the PIP, and we all know how hard it is to rebuild the distributor and possibly break the gear pressing it off etc. I always go with Ford/Motorcraft when I can, and from now on looks like I'll have to take my chances with junkyard stuff, keep a spare and tools in the car, etc... Just sucks is all.

Eventually I'll swap in a newer motor, without a need for old parts like the distributor, but I love driving this car and until I can afford the swap, I'm going to stockpile used parts lol.

Comment

I've been told its possible to remove the spider from the top of the distributor and then extract the PIP without messing with the gear. Never tried it myself.

Failing that, the PIP is dead simple to change if you have a press with minimal risk of breaking stuff if you are careful.

Comment

Working...
                                X