Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fuel pump

Hey guys,

I'm going to look at an 94 351 Marquis this weekend. The seller says that it needs a fuel pump. Is it located inside the tank? Or is it possible to change it on the spot without dropping the tank?

I'm guessing you mean '84 ?

Those are mechanical fuel pumps, bolts to the side of the motor next to the oil filter.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I did indeed mean 84. Thanks, that's what I needed

Comment

I hope it works out for you!
        Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
        Bone stock... for now.

Comment

when replacing the fuel pump, it's always a good idea to replace the push rod too. Changing one of those out is cake compared to the in tank stuff.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
          Originally posted by gadget73
          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
          Originally posted by dmccaig
          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Thanks, I'll let you guys know how it goes. Looks like it should be no problem if it's on the engine

Comment

That'd be a good get. Mechanical pumps are stupid-easy to change! Get it and we want pictures!

Comment

Do Fords use a pushrod on the mechanical pump? I thought they just had a long lever that ran directly on the cam eccentric. I know Chevys use a pushrod. I've not spent a lot of time with mechanical fuel pumps or carbonators on Ferds though.
                86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

nope an eccentric that is bolted to the cam. If I REMEMBER CORRECTLY easiest to install if the engine is turned over one full rotation past TDC on #1 cylinder might be 2 revolutions at TDC on # 1 have to push the lever on the pump down at the eccentrics highest position a real pain.
                  Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

oops. Yeah... last one I changed was on a chebby.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                    Originally posted by gadget73
                    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                    Originally posted by dmccaig
                    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                    X