Sedan fuel tank in a wagon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sedan fuel tank in a wagon?

has anyone installed a sedan tank in a wagon by any chance?
    looking into a build on a colony park that requires a returnless fuel system. Simplest solution would be to get a 90+ fuel tank and use a 04+ pump and hanger with the single line.
    i figure we might have to dimple the back side of the tank to make it fit.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
    2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
    1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
    1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
    2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
    1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Can you just cork off the return line, or swap the pump hanger assembly?
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I tried, there isn't enough clearance for the pump and level sender once the rear of the tank is "clearanced" for the bump.
      If you got rid of the in floor seat in the back of the wagon, it would work but I think that's the only way.
      1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        Can you just cork off the return line, or swap the pump hanger assembly?
        To build off of this, why not chop off and braze/weld the hole shut?

Comment

Having the return port inop is not the issue. Having the correct pump on the other side of it, however, is - the returnless setup uses the PCM for modulating pump speed and pressure, reads off a pressure switch on the fuel rail. Basically another of Ford's "better" ideas, let's save a bit of money by nixing the extra line and instead over-complicate the fuck outta everything else.

From pressure consistency point the easiest solution is dropping a bigass pump in the tank and then running a return-style FPR somewhere between it and the fuel rail. Heck even a Vette filter/regulator would work pretty sweet especially since it's an OEM solution and thus proven reliable (unlike the aftermarket stuff, unless we're talking big-bucks stuff like Aeromotive and such). But again the issue is the damn PCM will want to see a pressure response from the pump via the fuel rail sensor, and a self-contained constant-pressure setup ain't gonna give it that.

I do like the idea of losing the stupid jump seats and reshaping the trunk to fit a normal sedan tank, then the bitch can run a late-model sedan tank with the returnless system and be all good-like.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I still don't see the problem. Can you fit the later style pump into the old hanger and just connect up one line? Or can you fit the later hanger into the old tank, and still just use one line?
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Later hanger into old tank will be a tricky one - the new-style uses 6 bolts to attach to the tank and the hole is on the side facing the axle, the old-style setup uses a lockring and IIRC the thing lives on the rear wall of the tank facing the trunk area. Tho I'd imagine punching a bigass hole on the front wall and finding a way to attach the bolts to the tank won't be all that hard, already got an idea actually, gonna check how feasible it is tomorrow.

New pump in old hanger, maybe, depends on how many wires the variable pressure junk runs thru the sender bulkhead. I think I saw 3 in a picture somewhere, the old stuff only runs two wires IIRC.
              The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
              The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Newer uses 4 wires I believe, 2 for the pump and 2 for the level sender. Older has pump power on back side and 2 wires for the level sender on the front side. The level sender won't clear a center mounted pump, my pump is in the stock location all the way on the drivers side(sucks taking lefts when the tank is a bit low).

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Also, the stock box level sender has very different resistance value compared to aero or whale, I built one using a different sender then found it would not clear the bump so I have an assembly sitting in a box ready to go.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackVic_P71 View Post
                    Also, the stock box level sender has very different resistance value compared to aero or whale, I built one using a different sender then found it would not clear the bump so I have an assembly sitting in a box ready to go.
                    Sending unit from/for 1989 Town Car should use the same resistance range as '90+ panthers but it fits '89 and older panther fuel tanks and the electrical connector is identical to '89 and older panthers.
                    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Well, if the later one uses 2 for the pump and 2 for the float, then just using the existing wagon float plus the new pump on the old hanger would let that work. No need to change the level sender or anything like that.

Comment

I may be wrong on the wiring, I had a return style setup so it may be different with returless...I forgot about the idea to go returnless.

Comment

Motorshaft image of a pump assembly for a 2011 Townie looks to be 4 wire, 2 for pump and 2 for float.

Comment

resurrecting this one...I'm looking to put a 90+ tank in my 84 wagon - I really want the easier pump access for a project I'm working on...is this possible? Do the 90+ wagon tanks have the pump on the axle side or is it on the "trunk" side like the earlier ones? I know my 90 TownCar had the pump on the axle side...

thanks!
                            1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

Originally posted by drhill View Post
                              resurrecting this one...I'm looking to put a 90+ tank in my 84 wagon - I really want the easier pump access for a project I'm working on...is this possible? Do the 90+ wagon tanks have the pump on the axle side or is it on the "trunk" side like the earlier ones? I know my 90 TownCar had the pump on the axle side...

thanks!
                              Wagons stayed old school. Pump on top. Separate fuel level sender on front side.
                              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Working...
                              X