No announcement yet.

Sedan fuel tank in a wagon?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

'90+ sedan tank has the pump and sending unit in one hanger on the axle side. It doesn't seem that the sedan tank into a wagon was ever carried out, unless I missed something in this thread.

As mentioned, wagons stayed old school in setup (pump trunk side, sending unit axle side). I do believe they use the newer sending unit resistance range in '90-'91. The sending unit used for '90-'91 wagons uses same resistance range as an '89 TC (not the old box range, but the '90+ range) (also found on some very late built '88 TCs) and should be a direct swap between '89 TC and '90-'91 wagon I believe.
    Last edited by VicCrownVic; 11-24-2018, 08:27 PM.
    Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
    ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
    ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
    ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

Sedan fuel tank in a wagon?

I am doing something similar to you except putting in a 4.6l 32V into my 85 Country Squire.

Had a look at the wagon tank last night and one from a sedan. Yup way different at the top half. The wagon tank is a lot thinner at the top half compared to the sedan. This space is used for the rear jump seats in the cargo bay.

You do have the option of using an external pump… grafting stuff together… or finding a FI wagon tank an just replacing the pump.

When I figure out what im going to do I ill post it.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the input guys - I was afraid of that.

After a few years of playing around with the turbo 5.0 HO engine, I'm doing the unthinkable and going to swap in an LS turbo. If I kept the power level reasonable (under 500 rwhp) I know I could get away with the stock lines, my Walbro 255 plump (or a 340lph pump) and make it easy. But the combo I have available is good for 900 rwhp and I have a great external pump (magnafuel) and AN lines.

I can work with the stock location but it's a much bigger pain to deal with because I'm trying to make a mustang pick up work with the stock fuel pump housing. see the link:

https://lmr.com/item/GRN-GMTI7998/19...et-Fuel-System

The issue is that mounting disk is too small for our housing assembly so was going to strip off the electrics and cut a hole in the middle of the stock housing and weld up the mustang pickup. I can't think of an easier way as a sump won't work on this tank - the bottom is narrow and has the ridge because it's actually the side of the tank.
        1984 Mercury Colony Park Wagon - gone to the darkside. 5.3 LS Turbo Swap with 4L80E. 6.62@106 in the 1/8 mile (low 10's in the 1/4), full weight, AC, no compromises! Rocky Mountain Race Week 2020 and Race Week 2.0 2020

Comment

Working...
        X