No announcement yet.

Monty's 1989 CV LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have used vinyl/rubber spray paint on the 90 CV. It has held up very well. I can dig up the brand if your interested. I may have some left.

Comment

Front bumper, side chrome, fender chrome, splash guards, and trunk liner installed. I have an NOS grill and some other super nice parts, but I'm going to wait on installing them until the car is complete and ready for the road.

Some issues, other than having to find little parts and stupid stuff, were the fender and lower chrome pieces. Fender chrome is in rough shape. Tried fixing some of the dents, but they really should be replaced. Lower trim, it turns out, is a little different pre-88 (pic below). Rear quarter pieces are shorter and narrower on the older set. Got it to work well enough. The original '89 pieces are beat to hell and just wouldn't have looked right.

Hoping to do the rear bumper tomorrow. That would about finish assembly.
      Attached Files

Comment

It was fun times reassembling my car after it was paint. Seeing the final product made all the work worth it. Things are looking killer on your end.

Funny about the rear lower quarter cladding. They went with a more aero curve on that leading edge apparently.
        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Rear bumper was a bitch. Seemed like every little piece of it wanted to put up a fight. However, it is installed. If the weather is nice enough next weekend, I'll get it outside, wipe it down, and get some pics.

Comment

Wow Monty, she's lookin' purty. Needs some red pinstripes on the sides
            1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
            1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

How are the wheel wells "finished" without the trim? Would the car look better or worse without it? It sure looks great with the fresh paint, and the only vehicle that ever looks right with the rocker trim is a box CV/GMQ.
              -Steve

2006 Audi A6 S-Line FWD ~132k miles, stock.
              1998 Mercury Grand Marquis LS HPP ~102k miles, slowly acquiring modifications.
              1997 Lincoln Town Car Cartier ~145k miles, Ported Plenum, Gutted Airbox, Mechanical Fan Delete, Contour E-fan Retrofit, Dual exhaust, Cats ran away, KYB Gas-A-Justs, P71 front sway bar, air ride reinstalled, Blinker Mod, Projector headlight retrofit, Caddy 4-note horn retrofit, Wood rim steering wheel, rustbelt diet plan..
              1996 Mercury Grand Marquis GS 117,485mi. R.I.P. 7/14/12

Comment

Originally posted by BigMerc96 View Post
                How are the wheel wells "finished" without the trim? Would the car look better or worse without it? It sure looks great with the fresh paint, and the only vehicle that ever looks right with the rocker trim is a box CV/GMQ.
                Trim simply hugs the wheels wheels. If the prep before paint was done correctly it would look fine without them. They like to rub into the original paint so if one just scotch brited over the area there would be witness marks left from its past install.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I would have left them off, but the lower trim "flowed" better on the car when connected by the wheel well chrome.

Picked up SEM color today for the steering wheel. Can't find my left over vinyl from the top install. I have quite a bit, but the hell if I know where it is.

Comment

Poured in some fresh fuel, wiped it down, and ran it for quite a while. Not insured, so no going for a drive. Weather was perfect, too. Now it gets to sit and wait for Spring.

Exhaust video:
                    https://youtu.be/dxtT4hhDOEs
                    Attached Files

Comment

Installed LED's on the front and rear. Also installed an electronic flasher. Pic is LEDs on passenger side, standard bulbs on driver's side.

Attached Files

Comment

Nice!

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

What leds did you use?
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Got them from Super bright leds.

4 194-CWHP5: Cool White $4.95
                            2 3157-AW60-SA: Amber White $11.95
                            4 3156-CW18-T: Cool White $5.95
                            4 194-RHP5: Red $4.95
                            2 921-R19-T: Red $14.95
                            2 3157-R27-T-CK: Red $14.95
                            2 WFLS-A30X3-WHT: Amber $17.95
                            1 CF12ANL-01: 2 Pin Black American Flasher $9.95
                            Last edited by monterey1962; 03-28-2018, 11:30 PM.

Comment

I didn't see the pics of the car back in December. She's looking good Monty, damn fine job.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Starting on getting the car ready for the road. Insurance company wants me to get the car appraised. Hoping to do that next week while I'm off of work.

Tonight I pulled the caliper pins. All four were bone dry. Go figure. Engine idles rough with occasional pops at the intake and out the exhaust. Smooths out as RPM increases. Just adding things to check for to my To Do List, which is already a page long.

Comment

Working...
                                X