Monty's 1989 CV LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monty's 1989 CV LX

1989 CV LX. 150K miles. Stock with the following upgrades: 3G alt, factory dual exhaust with glass-packs, Pioneer stereo system, Rear cargo coil springs, and 140 mph speedometer. I installed a new vinyl top and padding in 2011. Body work started in 2012. Clear coat on the roof, trunk, and hood was shot. Rear 1/4's were full of paint chips that went through the factory primer and were starting to show some signs of rust. I took care of any minor rust spots, sanded, filled, sanded, filled, sanded, primed, sanded, primed, sanded, and then let it set for years because I didn't have time for it. However, the body is now straight.

Car was an absolute joy to drive before I ripped it apart. Transmission was tight and shifted good. Engine was nice and smooth, but runs like crap, now. I figure it's the 4 year old fuel in the tank.
    Attached Files

More pictures ...
    Attached Files

Comment

One last pic ...
      Attached Files

Comment

Some nice work there.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Superunknown 2.0?
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
            Superunknown 2.0?
            You've tempted me with that before. The engine needs new gaskets and seals, so I'll have to wait and see what I find when I open it up. I still have an HO cam and TransGo shift kit on hand.

Comment

Lookin' real good there buddy. Hope the engine project turns out to be a simple one.

Comment

Nice work!
                1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
                1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
                1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
                1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

Excellent work. She was a looker before and will be even sharper once you are done with it.
                  ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                  My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                  My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                  But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                  my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

How much did the new vinyl cost you? She looks beautiful 😍

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Crown_Chronivic View Post
                      How much did the new vinyl cost you? She looks beautiful
                      $224 for the vinyl.
                      $39 for the padding.
                      About $130 in adhesive and misc. items.

Comment

Started on the engine. Pulled the radiator and some other little things.

Remembered how much I hate removing fan clutches. A/C line connections are mighty messy. Can we still get O-ring sets for this year?
                        Attached Files

Comment

Generic AC o-ring set will come with extras. There's enough to outfit our systems no problem.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                          rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                          ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                          Originally posted by dmccaig
                          Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Fan bolts...YES. I hate messing with them.

Also...Great picture showing the front of the engine. Will be very useful for anyone wondering how some of the brackets go on the front of these 5.0 panther blocks.
                            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Fan bolts... the reason I want e-fans.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                              Originally posted by dmccaig
                              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Working...
                              X