No announcement yet.

Monty's 1989 CV LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That sux!!! I broke 1 of the 12 water pump bolts on my Ranger and was put out by that. When I was done crying, I removed the water pump, applied extra permatex to the area of the broken bolt, and stuck it back on there. No problems since. 4 though; like Bobcat said; you will want to easy out them.

Packman

Comment

What's a good way to clean the timing cover and lower intake? Any type of chemical that I can soak them in for a while once they're off the engine? How about gasoline? I have to pump all that old fuel out of the tank anyway.

Comment

What a fucker monty, sorry about the luck but douche that stuff with some Kroil or other penetrating lubricant and take another whack at it. I'm looking at doing a water pump, timing cover, and timing set soon. Not exactly looking forward to it. Hot as balls in SoCal summer. 108 last week. Yuck...

Comment

I use degreaser in a spray can (gunk) and a pressure washer.

Guess this makes a good time to check out the timing chain and gear?
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I have a slightly used double roller timing chain set from my old '88 on hand ... I ... think. Where did I put that? If I can find it, it will go on the '89.

Comment

Valve covers, lower intake, and timing cover are off. Got the broken stud out of the block.
              Attached Files

Comment

looks pretty for the most part except that rear coolant passage... woof.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yeah, that was the "dead end" coolant passage. A lot of goop in there.

What do you guys think of the small amount of slack on the timing chain? Enough to replace it or just leave it in there? I was surprised to find a double roller when I took the cover off. I'm assuming this engine was never opened before since the oil pan gasket was still the one piece that I had to cut.

Comment

New timing chain is in. Picked up some new coolant lines, but can't find the throttle body coolant lines at O'reilly's. Going to check NAPA tomorrow.

Comment

I'd just use fuel hose if no coolant hose can be found. little more spendy, but will probably be the last time it's ever changed.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yep, 5/16 fuel hose is what I use for those coolant lines.
                        Vic

~ 1989 MGM LS Colony Park - Large Marge
                        ~ 1998 MGM LS - new DD
                        ~ 1991 MGM LS "The Scab"
                        ~ 1991 MGM GS "The Ice Car"

Comment

I don't think anyone lists 1/4 coolant line. I've also used fuel hose in the past.
                          86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                          5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                          I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Thanks, I'll give that a shot.

I got two of the three broken studs out of the timing cover. Third one won't budge. Even heated it with the torch. Drilled into it and I think I hit the threads, but it's not coming out. NAPA shows a new cover for $108. Guess I'll be ordering that tomorrow.

Comment

Bummer to hear the hardships Monty, but glad to see you anyway! If it's got tits, tires, or a trigger it'll give you problems. Having some stuck-screw issues on an old mauser I recently acquired too. Walked away but about to get back into it.

Comment

Walking away for a while is a good thing.

I just can't afford to spend $100+, right now, so I went at the broken stud again this morning. Drilled it out from the back side of the cover. Remembered that I have a tap and dye set. Tapped the hole and it actually worked. I even test fit the pump on the cover and it lines up.

The only problem I ran into is that I had broke the odd ball sized stud (circled in the pic below). No kit seems to come with this length and the AC bracket mounts to the stud. What I plan to do is buy another water pump stud kit, and take the longer stud, cut it down and use the dye to thread it. Just hope that works.

Edit: Didn't even have to buy another set. Two of the old long studs were still in decent shape. Dye cut one and it works. Victory!
                                Attached Files
                                Last edited by monterey1962; 09-18-2016, 12:06 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X