No announcement yet.

Monty's 1989 CV LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, it only took five years to get paint on it.

The Booth: It worked great. One window as air intake with filters, and two box fans with filters as the exhaust. I had to go through three sets of filters at the fans. They filled up pretty quick, but they did the job of containing over spray. My booth is set up in sections, using all scrap lumber I had lying around. Measures roughly 13' wide by 21' long. Height of the framed walls is 6', but I sloped it upward when connecting to the garage walls (about 6' 7"). Reason for the 6' walls was because that's really all I had for sturdy lumber, but it also worked out as being easier to move and mount in the garage. The ceiling needed to be higher, as it was tight to do the roof of the car. It's set up as four sections (2 per wall). The plan is to separate and store the four sections in case I need to set up for painting down the road. Plastic was actually 3 mil (I think) vapor barrier. I have auto body plastic on hand, but it is really thin, and I didn't think it would stand up as well as the heavier plastic. To help keep dust down, I did spray the floor with water using a pump sprayer.

The Chemicals: I've used Nason products since the beginning. Today was the application of 1 coat of gray primer sealer, which laid really well and covered all the blemishes from the last round of sanding. Base coat is Code 11, Light Titanium Pearl Metallic. 1:1 mixing ratio. I have about a half gallon left. I went with three layers of base coat, with a fourth "mist" coat to even out the metallic particles. Two coats of clear.

The Equipment: 60 gal. Eastwood (made by Industrial Air) compressor. It handled the job perfectly. I didn't run a fancy filtering system, so I had to drain moisture from the tank every time I refilled the spray gun. I did use an in-line filter at the gun, along with a pressure gauge. Gun is an HVLP Eastwood Concours. 1.4 tip for primer sealer and base coat. 1.2 tip for clear coat. This gun is great, and not that expensive.

The Outcome: So far, it looks decent. Serious orange peel. 2 runs found, so far. A fair amount of light debris in the clear. Spraying time from start to finish was five and a half hours. Time taping the car was too many. Time setting up the booth was maybe four hours.

If I would do it again: 1. Tack rags, Tack rags, Tack rags. I would have tacked between every coat to help get a cleaner finish. 2. Have more filters on hand before starting. 3. Would also have more air intake openings than just one small window. 4. Set up an in-line filter system from the compressor.

I'll have to get it unwrapped tomorrow and see what the final result is. I didn't expect it to be anywhere near a professional job, and I'm sure there are more than a few spots to fix. Not to mention, I need to do the tops of the doors and below the doors. They need more work than I had time for.
    Attached Files

Comment

That color is gonna POP.
      ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
      My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
      My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
      But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
      my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Awesome progress. Even professionals aren't perfect and get a run or trash in it here or there. I think 99% of non factory paint jobs are cut and buff these days anyway.

How long did it take you to go around the car per coat? I have the Eastwood Concours Pro and I'm concerned it's a bit slow for whole car at a time. Haven't used it except for primer at this point. But top coats are coming.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Maybe 10 to 15 minutes to go around the car per coat. Not exactly sure, but it didn't seem to take too long. I started with the roof, then did driver's side, trunk, passenger side, ending with the hood. Didn't seem to run in the issues with dry spots doing it that way. Took about two fills of the gun cup to go one coat.

I highly recommend Kevin Tetz's "Paint Your Own Car" DVD from Eastwood (yeah, I'm an Eastwood whore). Lost track of how many times I've watched it, but it's packed with a ton of info that is great for a beginner, like me.
          Last edited by monterey1962; 10-02-2017, 09:42 AM.

Comment

Awesome work on both the booth and the car! I also plan on painting my car, how do you transition from panel to panel smoothly when spraying? Are you planning on wet sanding and buffing it? That should get rid of any imperfections.
            -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

Not sure on the wet sand and buff, yet. Always spray past seams, don't end on a seam. I would give the gun a quick turn out, away from the car, at the end of each pass to eliminate build up on the panel.

Peeked in the garage this morning. CC seems to have set good. Will get to unwrapping later today. Only got 4 hours of sleep, so it'll have to wait. Will try to get some pics of it in the sunlight.

The color is a darker than I had expected. The car was really faded, as could be seen when I removed trim pieces. It's odd to see it dark and shiny. I'm so used to primer gray.
              Last edited by monterey1962; 10-02-2017, 11:11 PM.

Comment

Unwrapped and drove it outside. I don't know what to think of it. It has a lot of flaws, but it turned out pretty decent for a first timer. If anything, I learned a lot and I'm one step closer to getting this car back on the road. It will definitely need a sand and buff. The vinyl top really stands out, now. One pic below of the CV next to the Mustang to show how dark it actually is.

Had to completely disassemble the paint booth. Just didn't have the room to store the framing like I had planned. Ended up spending the evening cleaning out the garage and shed.
                Attached Files

Comment

Good enuff for rock & roll.
                  1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                  1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Awesome! With a good sand and buff it'll look show quality, but looks good as is, most people would never guess you painted it without close inspection
                    -Phil

sigpic

+1982 Ford LTD-S Police Car. Built 351w, Trickflow 11R 190 Heads, Holley Sniper EFI, RPM Intake+ Hyperspark dizzy, WR-AOD, Full exhaust headers to tails. 3.27 Trac-Lok Rear. Aluminum Police Driveshaft. Speedway Springs+Bilstein Shocks, Intermediate Brakes, HPP Steering Box.

+2003 Acura CL Type S 6-speed

Comment

That looks really nice mang! She'll buff out to a mirror finish, it'll look great!

Comment

I like it. As long as you pounded on the clear you should have no issues wetsanding and buffing, polishing.

I see what you mean about the vinyl top. Kinda sticks out like it does not belong.

Maybe dye it a different color?
                        ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                        My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                        My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                        But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                        my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Beautiful!!! Much respect for anybody that can do great body work!

Comment

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
                            I see what you mean about the vinyl top. Kinda sticks out like it does not belong.

Maybe dye it a different color?
                            I've dyed a vinyl top before ('91 Grand Marquis). Not fun, and mediocre finish results. I think it just needs the trim installed to give it a bit of separation from the paint.

Comment

Paint job looks very good. If your top does not have any cracks, just live with it. Since you did a good job with the paint, you can do a vinyl top if needed. I would order a pre-made top. You will have to order through a upholstery shop. The manufacturer will not deal with the public. Last kit I ordered was under $200. That was over 10 years ago. It came from Ca. Stripping the old top off and doing the prep on the metal is the worst part. Do not waste your time with a dye job on the old top. It will not last and looks horrible.

Comment

Originally posted by monterey1962 View Post
                                I've dyed a vinyl top before ('91 Grand Marquis). Not fun, and mediocre finish results. I think it just needs the trim installed to give it a bit of separation from the paint.
                                I concur. Don't think the top looks bad at tall.
                                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                                X