No announcement yet.

Monty's 1989 CV LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Buffed the header panel, and scuffed the entire front edge. Going to have to respray and hope that I can blend it in with the rest of the header panel. The clear did shine up nicely, though. Areas around the door windows are scuffed and ready for paint. Hammered the dents out of the black trim strips that go under the doors. Those will need to be sanded and painted, too. The areas below those black strips are a bit of an issue. I made the mistake of sanding and laying down primer in those areas, unaware at the time that I didn't even need to touch them since they are out of sight. Problem now is, I have to sand all the way up to the body seams in the door jams in order to make everything look nice when the doors are opened. This also includes the rear door jams where I taped off for painting the car. I have some ugly tape edges in the paint that fall just short of the body seams.

Yay for making more work for myself.

Comment

So you're going to have to set up that paint booth again??
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
        So you're going to have to set up that paint booth again??
        Negative. Will tape off the areas being painted, then throw plastic sheeting over the rest of the car.

Comment

Cleaned and scuffed the areas below the doors, tonight.
          Attached Files

Comment

Welp. Nothing like getting experience I suppose..

Comment

Fuck this shit. I mean ... Yay, body work. Just a little frustrated. Finished masking off the car, again. Can't have over spray getting anywhere it doesn't belong, so the whole car got wrapped. Doesn't help that I need to be able to open and close the doors, so that took extra time to tape off. Hoping to spray tonight since the weather is going to get a bit chilly tomorrow.

Comment

Doing things right, or close to correct certainly take a bunch of time. It is worth the effort, not only for the experience, but for the end result.
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Nothing like wrapping up at 12:30 a.m. Just glad my neighbors aren't home. Header panel turned out alright, and I should be able to buff the newly sprayed area to match. The other sprayed sections look decent enough. Over spray wasn't terrible, but a booth would have made things much easier to control.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Horseshit. I don't have the patience to mask off and paint my fucking brake calipers, you're a champion! Seriously this car looks great. Probably better than most lousy paint shops would do around here. Can't wait to see her all finished. Keep up the good work Monty.

Comment

Buffed the drivers' side, today. It's nowhere near a show car finish, but it looks decent. Header panel fix is a no-go. Buffed through in another spot, so I'm just going to respray the entire panel.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Its tough when doing so many wetsanding stages ahead of the buffing to not burn through. Really A LOT of clear needs to be pounded on during the initial paint job. When I did my fenders that is the same thing i encountered. She looks fantastic though.
                        ~David~

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Car is buffed. Cleaned the windows and 303'd the vinyl. I suppose the next step is assembly.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Don't be some damn hard on yourself, she's lookin' good. Many people give up right where you're at and that batshit stuff ends up littering craigslist..

Comment

That is just beautiful.
                              —John

1985 Ford F-150 XLT Lariat
                              1990 Mercury Grand Marquis LS (POTM March 2017 & May 2019 - gone, but not forgotten)
                              1995 Mustang SVT Cobra coupe (cream puff)
                              1966 Mustang coupe (restoration in-progress)

Comment

Looking fantastic.
                                ~David~

Comment

Working...
                                X