Monty's 1989 CV LX

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 87gtVIC View Post
    Its tough when doing so many wetsanding stages ahead of the buffing to not burn through. Really A LOT of clear needs to be pounded on during the initial paint job.
    When re-spraying the header panel, I'll probably go three or four coats of clear due to all the edges and the fact that it will take a lot of road wear.

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat View Post
    Don't be some damn hard on yourself, she's lookin' good.
    It's hard not to. It took me a few years to accept the work I did when installing the vinyl top. Problem is, I love doing the work myself, but then I know where all the flaws are.

Thanks for the compliments, fellas. There are a lot of flaws in the paint work, but I'll probably have to live with it. Really need to get it out of the garage and see it in the sunlight to find which areas need some extra work. The top panels seem to have a bit of a haziness to them, but my silver Mustang has a similar haze. Maybe it's just the lighting in the garage.

Comment

Look at it this way. Your work is more than likely as good or maybe better than many body shops. Much better than scuff and shoot shops. You saved some money, learned something and have pride in a job that you did well. What is frustrating is spending money and finding flaws that should have been addressed before the car was delivered. What I hate is spending money for a job that looks good but only lasts a couple of years. All because the shop used cheap products.

Comment

Originally posted by Mainemantom View Post
        Look at it this way. Your work is more than likely as good or maybe better than many body shops. Much better than scuff and shoot shops. You saved some money, learned something and have pride in a job that you did well. What is frustrating is spending money and finding flaws that should have been addressed before the car was delivered. What I hate is spending money for a job that looks good but only lasts a couple of years. All because the shop used cheap products.
        This. Yes, you know where the flaws are but that's a good thing. I highly doubt anyone else would be able to find them short of other paint crazy people.
        1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
        1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Got it outside today while moving cars around.
          Attached Files

Comment

Looks showroom. Nice!
            1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
            1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
            Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
            Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

What the Tig man said!
              Top will look great with the trim on it, excited to see it all buttoned up.

Comment

Have gotten a lot of parts back on the car. Interior is back together. Started buffing the lower chrome pieces. Need to assemble the inside of the trunk and go through the bumpers to remove any rust. Fender chrome is in really bad shape. Not sure what I'm going to do with it, yet.

Comment

Plastidip it! /s

Comment

Plastidip it! /s
                    The whole car in bright green.

Comment

Ooo yeah, make the wheels purple while you're at it and the top, how about smurf blue?

Comment

Ooo yeah, make the wheels purple while you're at it....
                        ....and green Plasti-Dip the car and you will have Batman's attention LOL

All levity aside, that CV is beautiful! You did an awesome job with that.

Comment

Started on the bumpers, today. Backside of the front bumper is in decent shape, thanks to it being aluminum. Rear bumper is in need of some work. I plan to clean it up, then use Por15. Polished the rear with Turtle Wax Chrome Polish and the buffer. Came out decent.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Wow, that's shiny. Looks good.

My Cars:
                            -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                            -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                            -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                            -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Thanks.

Polished the front bumper since I had time. Finished polishing the lower chrome trim, too.

The black trim on the bumpers is really faded. Debating if I should dye it black or just leave it. Not sure how dye would hold out in the elements.

Comment

Any chance some heat gun passes over the black trim would rejuvenate it?
                                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

Originally posted by gadget73
                                my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X