04 Townie - Synthetic tranny fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

04 Townie - Synthetic tranny fluid?

I'm going to change my tranny fluid and filter tomorrow. And was wondering if I can/should use synthetic fluid? Any advice is much appreciated. Car has 141K miles and I don't know if the fluid or filter has ever been changed as I bought it used w 135K

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as the fluid conforms to the standard of the fluid your car requires, you will be fine. Ford fluids, according to service bulletins in the past, are not backwards compatible like General Morons fluids. Just make sure it meets the right standards.
    Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
    Bone stock... for now.

Comment

The original fluid should be Mercon V, which is semi-synthetic anyway. As long as it meets the specs, you should be fine though.
      86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
      5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
      I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
        The original fluid should be Mercon V, which is semi-synthetic anyway. As long as it meets the specs, you should be fine though.
        Sorry to sound like a noob, but what do you mean specs? As far as I know ATF is ATF, no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Mercon V is different from the older plain Mercon and different from the newer Mercon LV. The older and the newer will not work properly for you if you need Mercon V. Different brands of Mercon V are required to meet the Mercon V specs, whether semi-synthetic or full synthetic.

Mercon V is apparently plain Mercon with an additive package, particularly a friction modifier for the torque converter lockup clutch. Mercon LV apparently denotes a "low viscosity" type of Mercon. So, no, all ATF's are NOT created equal.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
          mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Originally posted by doughboy2011 View Post
            Sorry to sound like a noob, but what do you mean specs? As far as I know ATF is ATF, no?
            Definitely not. Every transmission ever made has a specific type of fluid spelled out in the manual. Many of them happened to share the same fluid type in the old days, but modern ones not so much. Ford has specified Mercon V for everything since about the mid 1990s. Using the wrong fluid can burn things up due to incorrect friction modifiers and whatnot.
            86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
            5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
            I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Working...
            X