Not really Panther related...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not really Panther related...

But if anyone here frequents wrecking yards or u-pull places I sure could use some help.

I'm looking for a cylinder head for a Ford 240 in line six. They came in the 1963-1977 Ford trucks. The engine code in the VIN number Is the fourth from the left and the code is "A". Physically the 240 and 300 in line are identical, but the telltale difference is that the 240 had a two groove crank pulley and the 300 had three. Shipping costs and all that aren't an issue, I'll pay whatever. I can't find one of these things to save my life. If anyone comes across one while picking parts I'd sure like to have the head. Thanks in advance fellas.
    Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
    Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Will a 300 head work? Those seem to be more common.
    86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
    5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
    I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

http://m.dltruckparts.com/main-page.html

They seems to have one for $75 and aren't too far from you.
      1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
      1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
      Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
      Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

how can you tell between a 240 and a 300? They both came out in 1965. it seems the 240 was used until 1977.
        shame i used to have one, traded it for obs parts.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
        2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
        1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
        1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
        2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
        1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

He wants the 240 head because of smaller combustion chambers. More compression, and a hotter setup. Jon wants to build a hot rod 300
          1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
          Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Comment

I wasn't sure you were still alive, Jon! Good to hear from you!
            Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
            Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Yep, I'm still alive and kicking, but Pantherless these days, so not really FULLY alive lol

Yep, the head is for higher compression. Scott, the only real outside difference besides looking at the casting number on the block is the number of grooves in the crank pulley (2 for 240, 3 for 300, although I'm sure that's not set in stone) and the "A" designation at the fourth digit in the VIN number.

The engine BTW is a 300 that has been bored .60 over, which should bring it to 309 cubic inches. .60 over is the max, and is a little more than I would want, but hey the engine was sitting at a NAPA machine shop for like five years and I got it for 750 bucks and it includes the entire rotating assembly minus the cam and all that other crap.
              Pebbles-1968 Ford F250
              Pile of Junk! An Electronics Project Site (To get wet by)<---Clicky! NEW STUFF!!!!

Comment

Cool, keep us posted on the build! I love 300's. We've got a pretty solid 1988 454 stickshift C3500 we'd trade for a solid 1987-1991 F-series truck with a 300 in it..........
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                X