79-82 steering column

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

79-82 steering column

Just like the title says. I would like a tilt steering column that accepts the splined wheel. Shifter condition no factor.
    1983 Grand Marquis 2Dr Sedan "Mercules"
    Tremec TKO conversion, hydraulic clutch, HURST equipped!

Gonna hit the yards tomorrow hopefully, one had a '79 or '80 Merc 2-door last time I visited, may still be there. Gonna check it out for you, and maybe grab it if time allows it.
    The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
    The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I don't think that one was tilt, but at this point beggars probably shouldn't be choosers

Let me know how much the damage is!

Comment

Didn't know non-tilt was even an option for those! If it's not tilt, do you want me to grab it just in case? Keep an eye for a tilt one down the road, but gets you going for the time being at least.
        The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.

Comment

He wants this stupid sport wheel that no one has ever seen but him. Why not just buy aftermarket, who knows.

This fuckin clown.

1985.03 Crown Vic. Coupe "CVGT" Build thread - china whirlybird, burnout machine.
          The only 6 speed box on a late model frame.

Originally posted by SVT98t
          It has air ride. I've disabled it since I've been jacking it up and down.

That is how you're supposed to jack it.

Up and down.

-ryan s.

Comment

Meh, I really don't care why he wants that style of column, it's his car so da fawk should I give a #2 why he does what he does with it? Regardless, all a moot point now, the car question is no longer there - that whole row had been cleared out and is currently in the process of being repopulated with other Ford products. Lucky break for whoever bought them nice gilled front fenders, or they'd also be on their way to becoming cat food cans...

Comment

Originally posted by Bobcat View Post
              He wants this stupid sport wheel that no one has ever seen but him. Why not just buy aftermarket, who knows.

This fuckin clown.
              The same reason you put those ugly wheels on your car.

Also... I remember a conversation about being an ass in the sale/buy threads. You want to test my staying power?

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
              rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
              Originally posted by gadget73
              ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
              Originally posted by dmccaig
              Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                Meh, I really don't care why he wants that style of column, it's his car so da fawk should I give a #2 why he does what he does with it? Regardless, all a moot point now, the car question is no longer there - that whole row had been cleared out and is currently in the process of being repopulated with other Ford products. Lucky break for whoever bought them nice gilled front fenders, or they'd also be on their way to becoming cat food cans...
                FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU-

Thanks for looking for me, mang.

Comment

Originally posted by Grand Marquis GT View Post
                  FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUU-

Thanks for looking for me, mang.
                  No probs my friend, and I'll keep your vehicular needs in mind when I hit the other yard soonish - Panthers there tend to stay for a while longer, and I've seen early-'80s there before, so certainly worth a shot.

So do all '79-'82 have the multi-spline ends on steering shaft? I've for quite a while now considered installing a Panther steering column into a F-series, however not being able to use the truck steering wheel has been a major deal breaker. Would these early Panther columns be the solution to my predicament?

Comment

It is possible. I am gambling here, for sure. I have one of these steering wheels, and I figure I can replace it (and do column shifter delete) while I have the pedals and stuff out:

I also need to find the appropriate Mercury center, but that can come later.

Comment

OK, yeah, that looks like it could work. Like I said, I'll keep an eye out for these columns now. But I don't hit the yards as often as I'd like to, so may be a while till I run into one of those cars, but you do get dibs on the first one I find (my own project can wait indefinitely there).

Comment

I still have the black flying M center cap from my wire hubcaps if you want to try to fashion something out of that for trials before setting a nice red or black wreath cap in there.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                        Originally posted by gadget73
                        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                        Originally posted by dmccaig
                        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Bump.

Comment

You're not forgotten, just ain't been out there yet...

Comment

Bump.

Comment

Working...
                              X