Diesel Mark VII!?!!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Diesel Mark VII!?!!?!?

I know it's a fox, not a panther... but I thought the folks here may be interested in this strange little item.
    ************************************************** ******************************
    1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
    1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
    http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

thats pretty neat actually

1985 LTD Crown Vic, factory hard top, 302 soon to be gt40p headed (lightly ported & blended), summit brand stealth (port matched), stock cam, summit annular 600cfm VS, dual exhaust, 3.55 LSD, AOD, electric fan swap, tan interior.

Comment

I actually got to see one of these in person last weekend.

Neat, but I'd still prefer a diesel Tempo.
      2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
      2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
      2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
      1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Yes that rare diesel Mark VII
        1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - Current - June 2016 POTM Winner
        1996 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
        1991 Mercury Grand Marquis LS - SOLD
        1987 Mercury Grand Marquis LS 2dr - Long gone

Comment

I like how the seller states: "Ford's answer to the energy crisis of the '80's..." "The car is loaded with crap.."

If that's true it's ironic even funnier that Ford's answer to the energy crisis was to put an economical diesel engine into a high dollar premium luxury car.. LoL like those people really give a shit. 30MPG with a top speed of 65mph and it'll take you 2 minutes to get there. I'll take a 302 HO & 24mpg over that any day.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

This sounds like the car for HRG!
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

With 176k they apparently last a while unlike those diesel olds 350's.
              1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
              1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
              Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
              Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I did some reading on those and that seems to suggest most of them were killed by subpoor fueling situations but I've heard about cracked blocks.

Motorweek reviewed one of those and they claimed 22mpg city & 33 hwy. I think they pulled 30 during their test. Not bad at all, they were just slow.
                1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

They were gas V8 blocks used for the diesels from what I heard. They tended to fail from cracks between cylinder walls on those. I could be mistaken though... second hand accounts from 20 yaers ago.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                  rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                  Originally posted by gadget73
                  ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                  Originally posted by dmccaig
                  Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                    They were gas V8 blocks used for the diesels from what I heard. They tended to fail from cracks between cylinder walls on those. I could be mistaken though... second hand accounts from 20 years ago.
                    Also a uninformed public. There were reports about buyers putting gasoline additives in the diesel and would cause trouble.

Now regarding some hearsay about those GM diesels, I need to find where I had seen something about the head bolts not being correct or were getting reused which caused trouble. Also, something about the lack of a water/fuel separator?

My Cars:
                    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
                    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
                    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
                    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

some of them ran forever... most of them didn't. You're probably spot on with the uninformed public part.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      Originally posted by gadget73
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

The Mark VII diesel was an inline 6 turbo diesel, made by BMW. It was not the goofy converted gas engine thing that GM made. It was a good motor but if you overheated them the heads would crack. I drove one once, it wasn't nearly as terrible as you might expect. It was pretty comparable to a lopo honestly. I'm told they get mid-high 30's on the highway too. The HO in a Mark VII does low 20s.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

I'd drive the shit out of that. I'm a right line cruiser anyways. I'd be concerned with what service costs would be though with the BMW parts...

sigpic
                          - 2004 Ford Thunderbird - 2006 Ford F150 XLT - 2018 Ford Explorer Limited - 1958 Mercury Medalist

Comment

There's a turbo diesel mark in my local pick-n-pull lol........first one i've ever layed eyes on..........
                            Rodney Tolleson, me at the track.....future drag box racer!

Comment

Those are cool

2011 Ford Ranger Sport 4.0 2wd - Magnaflow Axleback exhaust, K&N 63 Series CAI, DiabloSport 87 Octane tune, LEDs, 3000K LED projector fogs, 5000K Mini H1 projectors - Daily
                              1967 Ford Galaxie 500 Sedan "C-Code" - 289 2bbl/Cruise-O-Matic - Money pit/project

Comment

Working...
                              X