box fuel mileage, a nice surprise?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

box fuel mileage, a nice surprise?

So I did a little test today to see what my fuel mileage would be, given my stock 302, with the 2bbl, stock duals, and 3.55 gears for curiosity sake. I drove around 460 km's from a fresh full tank to the next gas station and put around 53 liters in which equates to roughl7 27mpg (90% highway). Is that normal for these old stock boxes? I'm curious to see how it changes with the new heads/intake/4bbl thats going on in a couple weeks.

1985 LTD Crown Vic, factory hard top, 302 soon to be gt40p headed (lightly ported & blended), summit brand stealth (port matched), stock cam, summit annular 600cfm VS, dual exhaust, 3.55 LSD, AOD, electric fan swap, tan interior.

driving 55 mph, flat land, highway miles, pure gasoline (no ethanol)... sounds about right. They were kinda tuned for lean-burn to help with mileage IIRC.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
    Originally posted by gadget73
    ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
    Originally posted by dmccaig
    Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

that's pretty good, but yeah the 2 barrel/302 setup is good for mileage, and as an early low-option car you've got a pretty light one. I've pulled down 23-25mpg driving carefully on Hwy 401 or at a reasonable pace on the 80kmh (50mph) 2 lanes of Ontario, and that's in a heavier 351w car.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
      160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
      waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

I've never broken 20 with mine and I've had it for 12 years. If I manage to hit 19, I've been driving it extra easy.
        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Best I ever did with the vic to date was 24mpg and that was with the lopo.

Comment

Best i ever got was 28 MPG going to John Sexton's house in my 83 Grand Marquis doing 65mph on cruise control and 3.08 gears

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
            -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
            1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Originally posted by gadget73 View Post
              I've never broken 20 with mine and I've had it for 12 years. If I manage to hit 19, I've been driving it extra easy.
              I think the weight is a big factor. Your lincoln has gotta have 400+lbs on Magnus or my car.

85 4 door 351 Civi Crown Victoria - Summer daily driver, sleeper in the making, and wildly inappropriate autocross machine
              160KMs 600cfm holley, shorty headers, 2.5" catted exhaust, 255/295 tires, cop shocks, cop swaybars, underdrive pulley, 2.73L gears.
              waiting for install: 3.27's, Poly bushings, boxed rear arms, 2500 stall converter, ported e7's, etc

06 Mazda 3 hatch 2.3L 5AT (winter beater that cost more than my summer car)

Comment

my 93 CV LX pulled down 28mpg regularly doing 70-75mph with the AC running using real gas on the original engine with 2.73 open gears (19 city). With the PI swap and 3.55L gears... 22 max (15 city). The 88 would pull down 22 with the original gears (2.73) and now 21 with the 3.55 gears. 13 city with the original gears and trans gearing... 15 with the 3.55 and WR trans. The 2000 gets 24mpg max and 16-17 city.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Yea, I'm considering getting it weighed in for curiosity sake before and after I ditch the cast intake and manifolds. It seems my car is a unicorn in more ways than one.

1985 LTD Crown Vic, factory hard top, 302 soon to be gt40p headed (lightly ported & blended), summit brand stealth (port matched), stock cam, summit annular 600cfm VS, dual exhaust, 3.55 LSD, AOD, electric fan swap, tan interior.

Comment

I think I have 3.08 gears in the back of my Crown Vic. I seem to average about 18 mpg for as long as I've owned the car.

I guess that would work out to more city than highway miles though.

Driving to PA I think last time I got around 20-21mpg but that was 100% highway.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

'78 LTD | '87 Grand Marquis | '89 Crown Vic (RIP) | '91 Grand Marquis (RIP) | '94 Town Car (RIP) | '97 Town Car (RIP)

Comment

Tall gears in the city is bad for city mileage. I'm betting your speedometer is off. I was logging 24-26 ish with my TBI Fireturd and well, come to find out that when it says I'm doing 80, I'm actually doing ~73...
                      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                        I think the weight is a big factor. Your lincoln has gotta have 400+lbs on Magnus or my car.
                        400 lbs does not make for 5 mpg. Its probably right around 4100 lbs.

The lopo did 14.5 mpg. That car has always been miserable on fuel. Its not just my driving either, other people have driven it and can't get it to do the fuel miser. I've driven Scott's 86 and get 2-3 mpg better than I get with my car. He's driven my car and gotten similar, but opposite results. 3.55 in mine vs 3.73 in his, so the highway numbers aren't just a matter of gearing. I've pretty much given up on worrying about it. I just put fuel in it and drive.
                        86 Lincoln Town Car (Galactica).
                        5.0 HO, CompCams XE258,Scorpion 1.72 roller rockers, 3.55 K code rear, tow package, BHPerformance ported E7 heads, Tmoss Explorer intake, 65mm throttle body, Hedman 1 5/8" headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, ASP underdrive pulley

91 Lincoln Mark VII LSC grandpa spec white and cranberry

1984 Lincoln Continental TurboDiesel - rolls coal

Originally posted by phayzer5
                        I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Agree with the others above - some cars just do better than others. If you are getting 27 you better not change anything!!!

88 gets 20mpg highway, 15 in town. LOPo302. Used to do better but ethanol and original sensors at 232k are probably not doing as well as they could.

82 got 18-22mpg highway, and maybe 12 in town. Choke was screwy. 302 with the infamous VV.
                          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by johnunit View Post
                            Scott's 86 Towny averaged 26 going to Alabama. Except for the time the axle broke on the way home. HO intake, thumper e7s, a stock AOD and 3.73s

Comment

I doubt that too. There's no way that beat my low drag Firebird on the expressway with either it's 2.73 or current 3.23. Speedo must be off. My '88 will do MAAAYBE 22 on the expressway @ 75mph. I'll recheck that if we go on a trip sometime.
                              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
                              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Working...
                              X