Grand Marquis Hunt 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grand Marquis Hunt 2016

I'm officially on the prowl for a car. I'll be posting stuff here looking for feedback, words of wisdom and general support until I get one. Also, please let me know if anyone is planning on snatching up one of these cars before I do... that way I at least get a sporting chance

Here's one I'm interested that the mangs in and around the Niagara area can maybe chime in on.

I spoke to Johnny and he told me it's a dual exhaust car and he's going to get back to me with the other tech info. He says it has the original manifold though, which is a bit of a bummer. If it's legit and clean though it could be a decent deal. What else do I need to watch out for in a 1998 car... other than it's 18 years old and will likely need a manifold replacement? Also, if anyone has any first hand knowledge of this vehicle, please do share.

I'm also really interested in this 2001.

It apparently belonged to an elderly gentleman who was a snowbird, so the car was in storage for winters. Which is nice! It doesn't have any of the factory performance upgrades, which means I will have to do some work to it once it is no longer a daily driver. Anything I need to know about the 2001 year?

Thanks in advance for any words of advice/support/encouragement.
    ************************************************** ******************************
    1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
    1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
    http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

I'm not seeing any pictures for the '98.

The '01 on the other hand... It appears the car still has the OE plastic coolant crossover intake manifold. Who knows how long it will last. If anything, that would need to be replaced for reliability purposes so you don't have to worry about a rupture on the road.

My Cars:
    -1964 Comet 202 (116K Miles) - Long Term Project
    -1986 Dodge D-150 Royale SE (112K Miles) - Slowly Getting Put Back Together
    -1987 Grand Marquis Colony Park LS (325K Miles) - April 2017 + September 2019 POTM Winner
    -1997 Grand Marquis LS (240K Miles) - The Daily Workhorse & March 2015 + January 2019 POTM Winner

Comment

Originally posted by Kodachrome Wolf View Post
      I'm not seeing any pictures for the '98.

The '01 on the other hand... It appears the car still has the OE plastic coolant crossover intake manifold. Who knows how long it will last. If anything, that would need to be replaced for reliability purposes so you don't have to worry about a rupture on the road.
      Yeah there are no pics of the 98. One of my concerns. I really don't want to drive 1.5 hours sight unseen.

Re: the '01, I thought it looked like the rad hose goes into something metallic looking... hard to tell with that photo. I'll take a look at it when I go see it.
      ************************************************** ******************************
      1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**

Comment

Why cant they send pics?

The 98 if it was a duals car probably also has or had the air spring rear suspension, different rims, front springs and 4 shocks. They would in my experience fairly often have posi.
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
          Why cant they send pics?

The 98 if it was a duals car probably also has or had the air spring rear suspension, different rims, front springs and 4 shocks. They would in my experience fairly often have posi.
          Yeah, I figured it would likely have the lacy wheels, air springs, etc., but I think I'm correct in thinking that they either came with 3.27 OR 3.55 rear ends? I just asked him for the info on the door sticker and I can decode it myself. Based on my conversation, I think asking for pics may be beyond the realm of reasonable expectations. The fellow was fairly certain that the dual exhaust was split off of a single. I told him that it would have an H-Pipe attached directly to the down pipe off of the exhaust manifolds. After he looked under the car he informed me I was right. I do have some concerns when the mechanic isn't giving me the right goods on the car. That may not be fair though since he probably looks under a bunch of different cars all the time... he likely just isn't into panthers.

Comment

Iirc 3.27
            03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
            02 SL500 Silver Arrow
            08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
            12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

All HPP's had 3:27 rears, except the 2000 models, they had 3:55's.

Comment

HPP + Tow package cars got 3.55 gears.

That 2001 has the plastic crossover intake. The thermostat housing is metal but that's only from the thermostat to the hose. The coolant crossover is indeed plastic. Ford Performance intake replacement and go since it's a PI engine. I'd replace the gaskets too just to be safe. No goop needed on those gaskets though. I would have a full set of o-rings on hand for the fuel injectors as they will probably need replaced too on the intake ports if not the fuel rail as well since that all has to be removed. The rest is just making sure to completely remove bolts and studs before pulling stuff off and keeping track of where everything went since some bolts/studs may have damaged threads from different mount points that have no bearing on how well they work if they go back in the same location. Also, the replacement intake will have more stud/bolt locations than you will use.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                Originally posted by gadget73
                ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                Originally posted by dmccaig
                Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
                  HPP + Tow package cars got 3.55 gears.

That 2001 has the plastic crossover intake. The thermostat housing is metal but that's only from the thermostat to the hose. The coolant crossover is indeed plastic. Ford Performance intake replacement and go since it's a PI engine. I'd replace the gaskets too just to be safe. No goop needed on those gaskets though. I would have a full set of o-rings on hand for the fuel injectors as they will probably need replaced too on the intake ports if not the fuel rail as well since that all has to be removed. The rest is just making sure to completely remove bolts and studs before pulling stuff off and keeping track of where everything went since some bolts/studs may have damaged threads from different mount points that have no bearing on how well they work if they go back in the same location. Also, the replacement intake will have more stud/bolt locations than you will use.
                  Is there a thread on here that shows how to do the swap/tells you all the parts you reasonably need/should change while you're in there (like the aforementioned gaskets, O-rings, etc.). I want to use this as a bargaining chip if I decide to go with it. If that's the only thing I need to change, then I may take the plunge if I know what I'm up against. Also, if anyone in or near Southern Ontario (ie., I will go to eastern MI and western NY) has successful experience with this, I will come to you with a case of beer, semi-capable ability and a willingness to learn/take instruction.

Comment

May have answered part of my own question:

http://www.autoclinix.com/Manifold.htm

Comment

I don't think there's a thread on here about the stock replacement (the Ford Racing intake IS the stock replacement for the PI engines). I can post the pages from the shop manual for that replacement on an 01. It'll have all the torque specs for all the bolts too (which is handy). Having the right alternator bracket could be a good thing too. Also, when you pull the alternator off, clean the contact point on the engine block and maybe even add some dielectric grease to the locations as the alternator grounds through the block.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

apparently I've already posted that section of the shop manual. http://www.grandmarq.net/sly/2001%20...20Manifold.pdf

Comment

Thanks for that. I noticed some extra stuff like putting the car up on a hoist and pulling some underneath stuff apart... seems like extra work.

Comment

Just an update...

I've been doing some investigation into this manifold swap thing if I buy this 2001 MGM. Looks like the replacement manifold already comes with built in gaskets...? Do I need more gaskets??

Also, in addition to buying new injector O-rings, I've noted on other forums that it is suggested one replaces the heater core hoses too.

Good piece of news though, a mechanic buddy of mine agreed to do some moonlighting work to help me with this, so I should have enough talent on hand to pull it off.

Just to confirm though... 2001 MGMs had PI heads but the old plastic manifold... this is what I'm understanding? If this is so, will there be a tiny power bump once the new manifold is installed? I'm going to do it anyway, but just looking for some icing on this cake.

Comment

If it has built-in gaskets on the bottom (for all the air ports and coolant passages) and one on top (for the plenum), that seems to be all you need.
                              Edit: One thing that came to mind is the o-ring for the thermostat housing. Also an EGR valve gasket, since unbolting the EGR valve from the plenum and leaving it on the pipe is probably the easiest way of dealing with it.

The heater hoses would probably be a preventative maintenance thing. I used my old ones, and no issues yet. I actually have a pair of the blue silicone ones from a CVPI on standby if needed pending my next coolant change. If you can get a pair of those, they should be good for the life of the car despite being used.

AFAIK, the 2001 intake was also PI even though it started out as all plastic, so no power bump. On the other hand, this would be the ideal time to port and polish the plenum and put on a 70mm throttle body:

http://www.crownvic.net/ubbthreads/u...Number=2112724

If the air filter box has one of those stupid restrictive trumpets on the front, take that off too. If you can find a straight tube to put in it's place, that would be even better (though maybe only marginally).
                              Last edited by IPreferDIY; 06-16-2016, 04:03 PM.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
                              mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Working...
                              X