No announcement yet.

Grand Marquis Hunt 2016

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

03 is notorious for soft rear axles, so that's something to think about. I would think he would have mentioned them being replaced if it's been done already. I forget how far forward the timing chain guide issue goes. I think it started in 2000 but no sure if it went to 02 or 03. If the spot on the fender ends up being the only issue, you can flood it with oil to keep it from getting worse pending replacement, assuming it would pass the safety inspection as is. I'd be suspecting issues with the rocker panels though. At that mileage, also keep in mind that the steering and suspension joints and bushings are probably approaching the end of their lifespan.

2000 Grand Marquis LS HPP, a hand-me-down in 2008 with 128,000 km; 175,000 km as of July 2014
    mods: air filter box 'tuba', headlight relay harness, J-mod (around 186,350 km), 70mm throttle body, KYB Gas-A-Just shocks, aluminum driveshaft, ARA3 PCM

Comment

Yeah, all good points. Plus it's a million miles away. I'll probably just write it off.
      ************************************************** ******************************
      1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**
      1985 Crown Vic in 2-Tone Blue **SOLD**
      http://automophiliac.blogspot.ca/

Comment

There was nothing really negative in my comments. Should look at the bottom of any car. A rusty fender is just that unless you live in an area which prohibits rust by statute. Still it is far away if you don't have someone to give it a look-over 1st
        03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
        02 SL500 Silver Arrow
        08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
        12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

Originally posted by jaywish View Post
          There was nothing really negative in my comments. Should look at the bottom of any car. A rusty fender is just that unless you live in an area which prohibits rust by statute. Still it is far away if you don't have someone to give it a look-over 1st
          I agree, you gave good advice. I'm only passing on it because of the distance and the fellow I know who lives near there is having health issues right now, so I don't want to burden him with my car search. Really nice guy too, so I know if I asked him to check it out for me he would probably do it regardless of how he was feeling, so I'm not even going to bring it up.

He's a super cool car guy too. He used to manufacture custom side mirrors for hot rods. An awesome full time occupation if there ever was one! Now he's retired and builds his own cars, hangs out with his grand kids and lives life with the wife.

That being said, I've found repro fenders for these cars on ebay... at a decent price too! Anyone have any experience with these? Even if I don't use it for this car, it may be something to keep in mind if I see another one and the only issue is a rust hole. I can replace the whole panel!
          ************************************************** ******************************
          1997 Crown Vic - Mostly rust free, moderate mileage. On the road... but far from perfect. **SOLD**

Comment

Originally posted by SeanP View Post
            That being said, I've found repro fenders for these cars on ebay... at a decent price too! Anyone have any experience with these? Even if I don't use it for this car, it may be something to keep in mind if I see another one and the only issue is a rust hole. I can replace the whole panel!
            Absolute garbage. Will rot out 5 times as quick and 5 times worse.
            2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
            2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
            2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
            1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

Originally posted by pantera77 View Post
              Absolute garbage. Will rot out 5 times as quick and 5 times worse.
              Good to know!

Comment

Might have just bought a 1997 CV. 169km (100ish k miles for the USA folk), no rust, new style intake, HPP package (or whatever has those wheels and dual exhaust). That and under $2000. It's not perfect with minor scuffs and dings and the interior needs a good scrub, but it's heads and tails above anything else I've looked at.

Comment

Success! I am now the proud owner of a mint bodied 1997 crown vic! I have the original window sticker... car was $37000 new. I paid about 5% of that. Crazy. Some items of concern... the door in the HVAC system sounds like something is blocking it. It keeps trying to open but sounds like it can't. Just hear it clunking away in the dash. The air suspension is also being problematic. Light is on and the car is sitting really high. I'm going to start a new ride thread, but if anyone has had trouble with these before, feel free to share.

Comment

Sounds like a great find! The air suspension systems in most cars have a height sensor - yours may be broken or out of alignment - I'm sure someone else could offer better info. As long as it holds air, you can pull the fuse to the compressor that runs the air suspension system and it will quit running. Drove my Lincoln like that for months. As for your A/C issue, likely to be a bad blend door actuator or a broken blend door. Neither is super expensive, but I don't know how much work it is to fix on your model.
                    By the way, you can replace the air suspension with an after-market kit that replaces the air bladders with coil springs and standard shocks. If your system can be knackered with and gotten back into proper condition, keep it - nothing rides better! But if it is on its way out, the spring-and-shock replacement is a viable option.
                    Lastly, PICS!!! Or it didn't happen!
                    Back in the saddle again!

2004 Crown Victoria Police Interceptor in Unimaginative Bureaucratic Brown
                    Bone stock... for now.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Norris View Post
                      Sounds like a great find! The air suspension systems in most cars have a height sensor - yours may be broken or out of alignment - I'm sure someone else could offer better info. As long as it holds air, you can pull the fuse to the compressor that runs the air suspension system and it will quit running. Drove my Lincoln like that for months. As for your A/C issue, likely to be a bad blend door actuator or a broken blend door. Neither is super expensive, but I don't know how much work it is to fix on your model.
                      By the way, you can replace the air suspension with an after-market kit that replaces the air bladders with coil springs and standard shocks. If your system can be knackered with and gotten back into proper condition, keep it - nothing rides better! But if it is on its way out, the spring-and-shock replacement is a viable option.
                      Lastly, PICS!!! Or it didn't happen!
                      Thanks for the input. Gets me started on solving my issues!

And, ask and ye shall receive!

Comment

Working...
                      X