What Gear Ratio Should i go with.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
    Yeah, but finding a K-code rear in the yards these days seems to be nigh-impossible. It's actually my mission for this weekend's run, hope it pans out...
    So the K rear is hard to find? I have mine sitting in the backyard...
    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

I'd go 3.73's but you know what they say about opinions.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackVic_P71 View Post
        getting hard to find those year panthers much less the K code... so yeah.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
        rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
        Originally posted by gadget73
        ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
        Originally posted by dmccaig
        Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

There's a townie at a yard near me with a K code in it. I already have posi so no need.. Guess I could pull for Ashley's but no telling what shape the trac lok is actually in without testing it.
          1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
          1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

I'd stick with getting the aero rear and have rear discs. Then get the appropriate gearing for the engine (GT40 HO) and the kind of driving that you do.

I made the mistake of not reading the entire suspension sticky when I was rebuilding the suspension in the CV. I grabbed a rear out of a '90 MGM; but there was still a '94 CV sitting near it that I should have snagged the rear from. By the time I read the entire sticky, it was too late, the car had been crushed.

Packman

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
              4.10's with in OD = a 2.73 in drive.
              So about 2200 RPM @ 60 mph?
              Summer car-> 1988 Lincoln Town Car, triple blue, 335,xxx km. New HO 5.0 in and running. Bought 2006/08/22. June 2017 PotM!
              Winter vehicle-> 1995 Ford F-250 XLT SuperCab 4x4, 284,xxx+km. AKA "Brutus" 460/E4OD/4.10 axles and 12 MPG. Bought 2019/08/14

Originally posted by phayzer5
              I drive a Lincoln. I can't be bothered to shift like the peasants and rabble rousers

Comment

Originally posted by nfldfordltd View Post
                So about 2200 RPM @ 60 mph?
                Close enough depending on tire size.

I've been searching for a k-code for ten years. I've seen maybe 100 boxes and none of them have had it. Found a 3.55 open (town car with trans cooler), and a 3.27 trac lok (town car again with sunroof). Other than that 95% all are 2.73/3.08, and 90% of those are open. I envy you all with k code wagons filling your pick n pulls.
                1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
                1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
                Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
                Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                  Close enough depending on tire size.

I've been searching for a k-code for ten years. I've seen maybe 100 boxes and none of them have had it. Found a 3.55 open (town car with trans cooler), and a 3.27 trac lok (town car again with sunroof). Other than that 95% all are 2.73/3.08, and 90% of those are open. I envy you all with k code wagons filling your pick n pulls.
                  I found a K code 92 crown vic. That rear is sitting under my 86 now...

Comment

The one in my yard is the one off the wagon, swapped in a aero rear with discs and 4.10's so it's just sitting there. May need to rebuild and the drivers side drum was leaking.
                    1989 Country Squire - Twilight Blue, 347 stroker

2005 Crown Victoria Sport - Black - Stainless Works full exhaust with Borla Pro XS mufflers, BBK 75mm TB, Accufab plenum, CVPI airbox, Heinous control arms, etc...

Comment

Originally posted by BlackVic_P71 View Post
                      Need a whole aero housing tho, cause discs and stupid swaybar arrangement. LSD 3.27 will be fine as well, that ought to be somewhat easier to find. Hopefully.

Originally posted by 86VickyLX View Post
                      I found a K code 92 crown vic. That rear is sitting under my 86 now...
                      Yeah, you can go pound sand! lol
                      The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                      The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

Originally posted by His Royal Ghostliness View Post
                        Need a whole aero housing tho, cause discs and stupid swaybar arrangement. LSD 3.27 will be fine as well, that ought to be somewhat easier to find. Hopefully.

Yeah, you can go pound sand! lol
                        Love you too friend!

Comment

1st thing I did even before swapping out the cassette player in highschool was trac-lok and 3.73's. They're perfect. Felt quicker but wasn't actually any quicker... There's just no cheating around a motor that runs out of steam before 4000rpm.
                          Would ofcourse spin them easier and most importantly spin both lol so it was worth it.
                          Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                          HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

My vote has been cast, 4.10's would be great...unless you are running a short tire then 3.73's. The nice thing about those gears and your specified highway speeds is that you won't have to downshift to pass on the highway. You can just barely roll the throttle and away you go. Fuel consumption isn't a big issue as I had concerns with my first set of steep gears years ago...gains in "city" driving and just a slight loss on the highway @70+ mph. People claim wild fuel economy losses after gear swaps because it's harder to keep your foot off the floorboard!
                            '85 CV coupe- 351W, T5-Z, FAST Ez-Efi, shorty headers, 2.5" duals with knock off flowmasters, 2.5" Impala tails, seriously worked GT-40 irons, Comp 265DEH cam, 1.7rr's, Mallory HyFire 6A, Taylor ThunderVolt 50 10.4mm wires, 75mm t/b, 3G alt swap, 140mph PI speedo, PI rear sway bar, '00 PI booster/MC, 95-97 front spindles, '99 front hub bearings/brakes, '92-'94 front upper control arms/ball-joints, 3.73's with rebuilt traction-lok, '09 PI rear disc swap, '96 Mustang GT wheels with 235/55R17's.

Comment

Give a man a fish and he will be fed for a day. Teach a man to fish and he will promptly forget that he once did not know, and proceed to call anyone who asks, a n00b and flame them on the boards for being stupid.

Comment

I'd personally go 3.73 for the best balance of performance and drivability but it all depends on what works for you ultimately. As it stands, I don't have to worry about it currently.

Comment

Working...
                                X