What Gear Ratio Should i go with.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What Gear Ratio Should i go with.

going to be doing my rear end swap soon and would like to know what gears to get, i do most of my driving city wise, a little highway and i tend to drive like a grandpa on the highway(55-65 MPH). I have heard good thing with 4.10 Gears and im leaning towards that since i want snappy low end torque and acceleration.
    3.55 Limited Slip
    0%
    3.73 Limited Slip
    0%
    4.10 Limited Slip
    0%

1982 Lincoln Continental Mark VI Bill Blass Designer Series 2-Door(Larisa)
    -Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
    1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Gas prices may not stay down forever.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

I'd go with 3.73 as you can actually get the speedo gear for that without changing the output shaft (23 tooth). 3.55 needs the 21 tooth gear (what I run). You will have to run a speedometer corrector if you go 4.10 (and might even be a good idea for 3.73 as the 23 tooth gear doesn't have very good longevity because the teeth are so thin).

Unless you have another way to compensate for the change to keep the speedo accurate... I'd go 3.55. It's plenty of gear to keep from downshifting on those long up-hills and still enough leg to get decent mileage on the highway.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
      Originally posted by gadget73
      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
      Originally posted by dmccaig
      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

4.10's with in OD = a 2.73 in drive.
        1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
        1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
        Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
        Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

Send an PM to GabeGT90 or whatever his username was, he's got 3.73s in his Grand Marquis. See how he likes them, he'll give you an honest opinion. IIRC he wasn't too thrilled with fuel consumption on the highway, so I'd imagine 4.10s will be even worse.
          The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
          The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

I have 3.73's and loved them with the LOPO engine as it made it scoot off the line very well. That car with those gears was a DOG up top. The 3.08's I had before were much better for the highway gauntlet runs. I now have more HP then before (new engine combo) and reach top speed much faster than I would like...not to mention top speed is also lowered with the lower the gear you get. My car now is a dog below 2800 even with the 3.73's...I am guessing it has something to do with the torque converter I put in (2400 stall) as well as the camshaft (trick flow stage 1).

If you rarely go above 70 mph I would guess the 4.10's would make you happy.

If I were to do it over I would have 3.55's in the back right now.
            ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
            My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
            My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
            But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

I believe 3.27 gears are the best all around gearing for a mild build. I run them in Creamy currently and with the wild engine in it 3.27 do not match the torq curve at all, 3.55 gears that ere in it before I blew the rear gears were not quite enough either. Casper the friendly merc is were the 3.27 rear in Creamy came from. Casper is basicly a stock engine and only drove it for a couple months liked the gearing though in town and highway often thought it would be great in the wagon. A cam from stock lopo to slightly wilder than a HO cam would be best for 3.27 gears. A cam a even bit wilder could be used with 3.55 gears but a B cam could be a tad much (if thats the one with .220/. .220 duration @.050). It also depends on tire diameter your sticking with.
              Scars are tatoos of the fearless

Comment

Thought: do you have the stocker 8.5 rear and not the 8.8? That may complicate things?

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                  Thought: do you have the stocker 8.5 rear and not the 8.8? That may complicate things?
                  Yes the stock rear is 8.5 but that whole rear is going in the trash, im pulling an 8.8 out of a aero town car.

-Mods: HO Roller 302, GT40P Heads, Explorer Intakes, HO ECM(D9S), Autodimming w/compass and outside temp rearview mirror, Daniel Stern Lighting Mod, Dual Exhaust, 90's GM C/K Series Retractable Hood Light, Red Digital Dash Display, 92-94 White Leather Town Car Signature Cupholder Armrests, HPP Wheels, Police PS Cooler, Police Trans Cooler. More to come!!!!
                  1998 Ford Explorer Limited 5.0 AWD(Fiona)-Mods: Lincoln Navigator THX Audio System, Ford Explorer Sport Instrument Cluster.

Comment

Gotcha. Not to thread hijack, but for future reference and my personal knowledge, anyone know if 8.8 gears work in an 8.5?

What ratio do you have now?

GMN Box Panther History

Comment

IIRC, the 8.5 just has more space between the gears and the housing. 8.8 gears should work. I know someone else knows the answer to that and I'm quoting them from memory.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                      rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
                      ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
                      Originally posted by dmccaig
                      Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by Tiggie View Post
                        Gotcha. Not to thread hijack, but for future reference and my personal knowledge, anyone know if 8.8 gears work in an 8.5?

What ratio do you have now?
                        3.08 open

Comment

i love the 3.73's in the towny

if i get a car with a k code i usually leave it alone, cause i'm cheap.

1986 lincoln towncar signature series. 5.0 HO with thumper performance ported e7 heads, 1.7 roller rockers, warm air intake, 65mm throttle body, 1/2" intake spacer, ported intakes, 3.73 rear with trac lock, 98-02 front brake conversion, 92-97 rear disc conversion, 1" rear swaybar, 1 3/16" front swaybar, 16" wheels and tires, loud ass stereo system, badass cb, best time to date 15.94 at 87 mph. lots of mods in the works 221.8 rwhp 278 rwt
                          2006 Lincoln Town Car Signature. Stock for now
                          1989 Ford F-250 4x4 much much more to come, sefi converted so far.
                          1986 Toyota pickup with LSC wheels and 225/60/16 tires.
                          2008 Hyundai Elantra future Revcon toad
                          1987 TriBurner and 1986 Alaska stokers keeping me warm. (and some pesky oil heat)

please be patient, rebuilding an empire!

Comment

Yeah, but finding a K-code rear in the yards these days seems to be nigh-impossible. It's actually my mission for this weekend's run, hope it pans out...
                            The ones who accomplish true greatness, are the foolish who keep pressing onward.
                            The ones who accomplish nothing, are the wise who know when to quit.

Comment

4.30s or go home (j/k), I would peg the speedometer past 85 on the highway, now with the 140 police speedometer in the '91 it basically reads in KPH, 100 is 62mph.
                              Slicktop '91 GS HO 4.30 rear. '82 Mark VI Tudor HO, '90 F-150 XLT, '62 project Heep, '89 Arizona Waggin' and '88 donor in PA, getting combined.

Comment

Working...
                              X