Unecessary Stuff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unecessary Stuff

So, I am clearing the engine compartment of things that don't work, are not all that effective, and are just plain broken. Started by removing the charcoal box by the front passenger side fender. I identified the solenoid and a severed tube that pumps into or from it. Also, one of the wires that goes to the solenoid had been severed as well at some point. What was the function of this box? Can I just plug the line that goes to the upper intake?

I think I have some relays or solenoids that go to the EGR on the passenger side fender. If I retain the EGR, I imagine I need still these? I remember replacing the EGR solenoids several years ago when my fuel pump was dying. Hasn't thrown a code yet, so I guess they're still working.

I think I will work my way around the engine compartment and identify what tubes and wires go to wherever, and determine whether I need them or not. So, what do you guys do when you do a HO or a performance EFI build?

Packman

When I put my HO in many moons ago I just reconnected everything, checking for broken hoses along the way.
    03 Marauder DPB, HS, 6disk, Organizer Mods> LED's in & Out, M&Z rear control arms, Oil deflector, U-Haul Trans Pan, Blue Fuzzy Dice
    02 SL500 Silver Arrow
    08 TC Signature Limited, HID's Mods>235/55-17 Z rated BFG G-Force Comp-2 A/S Plus, Addco 1" rear Sway, Posi Carrier, Compustar Remote Start, floor liners, trunk organizer, Two part Sun Visors, B&M Trans drain Plug, Winter=05 Mustang GT rims, Nokian Hakkapeliitta R-2 235/55-17
    12 Escape Limited V6 AWD, 225/65R17 Vredestein Quatrac Pro, Winter 235/70-16 Conti Viking Contact7 Mods>Beamtech LED headlight bulbs, Husky floor liners

Comment

That charcoal canister is the evaporative emissions thing. The gas vapor from the tank & when the car is shut down gets stored there and then ingested by the engine when running. Without that you'll smell gas occasionally if not all the time when parking it somewhere. My Fury is devoid all emissions stuff and so with it's exposed air cleaner set-up I'm always smelling gas. Don't know how those guys did it back then.
      1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
      1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Okay, I think I can do without. I am thinking that since the solenoid probably hasn't been working in a long time; the gas fumes would have been present; which I haven't detected. So if I trace that severed tube; it should lead to the gas tank? Hopefully my EVTM has a diagram of how that canister/box is routed. I noticed that the only tube connected to my canister is the one leading to the upper intake. There are 2 other ports that are open. Meh, I am just going to eliminate the box and be done with it.

Next weekend, I will look for more things that should stay or go?

Packman

Comment

You can cap the fuel vapor line to the tank but the tank needs a way to vent. Make a cut on the seal of the gas cap and roll.

Emissions cars are quite smelly when their emissions are tampered with compared to old stuff that's running well. No smells from my 74 F250 other than light exhaust. Way better than anything efi with gutted cats.
          1990 Country Squire - weekend cruiser, next project
          1988 Crown Vic LTD Wagon - waiting in the wings

GMN Box Panther History
          Box Panther Horsepower and Torque Ratings
          Box Panther Production Numbers

Comment

I'd leave the canister in. If the solenoid isn't working, the charcoal still is and will keep it from smelling strong of gas, but without the canister, raw gas fumes will escape unchecked and be MUCH stronger. Ask me how I know.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
            rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)
            Originally posted by gadget73
            ... and it should all work like magic and unicorns and stuff.
            Originally posted by dmccaig
            Overhead, some poor bastards are flying in airplanes.

Comment

Originally posted by sly View Post
              I'd leave the canister in. If the solenoid isn't working, the charcoal still is and will keep it from smelling strong of gas, but without the canister, raw gas fumes will escape unchecked and be MUCH stronger. Ask me how I know.
              As would I. You don't think things are bad until you tamper with them. Fury STINKS. Makes me think it's leaking when it isn't.
              1985 LTD Crown Victoria - SOLD
              1988 Town Car Signature - Current Party Barge

Comment

Just apply 12v dc to the solenoid. If it works just use it.

My car had one line in from gas tank and one line out to solenoid then to upper intake vacuum. Normally this is tee'd with the PCV valve vacuum. Can go to any other vacuum port direct into the intake though.
                Last edited by 87gtVIC; 06-27-2016, 03:29 PM. Reason: "pcv valve VACUUM"
                ~David~

My 1987 Crown Victoria Coupe: The Brown Blob
                My 2004 Mercedes Benz E320:The Benz

Originally posted by ootdega
                My life is a long series of "nevermind" and "I guess not."

Originally posted by DerekTheGreat
                But, that's just coming from me, this site's biggest pessimist. Best of luck

my car starts and it has AC. Yours doesn't start and it has no AC. Seems obvious to me.

Comment

Ugha!!! I was all set on eliminating that canister. Now I am considering keeping it. I will see when the engine comes out. Might just run a small rubber fuel line to the canister and replace the dry-rotted hose that comes from the upper intake.

Packman

Comment

The canister in the b-body I had (q-jet carb) just vented to atmosphere so you could smell it on occasion... but it wasn't bad. A purge solenoid would have helped that boat.

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -- Albert Einstein
                    rides: 93 Crown Vic LX (The Red Velvet Cake), 2000 Crown Vic base model (Sandy), 2003 Expedition (the vacation beast)

Comment

Yeh anything including the line from the tank attached to the charcoal system can go. I put a check ball type vent in the top of my tank (only seales off if the car is upside-down) to a little vertical baffle cannister incase of sloshing and an 8an braided line off the top of that to a fitting to vent to the wheelwell and have yet to ever catch a whiff of gas with some major hot/cold swings.
                      It don't take much to get the smell of gas in the air lol
                      Finally have an on the books porting/custom fab business!
                      HO bottom end,GT40Ps,cut/welded/ported upper+lower GT40 intakes,Comp XE258 cam,MS3X megasquirt computer,8 LS2 coils,2 dry systems + a 3rd wet,3 core rad w fans..1100hp Lentech WR AOD,custom 4" aluminum/moly Dshaft,custom rear/back half chassis adjustable 4link,wilwood 4 piston,moser 9" axles,locker, M/T 30x12's,4 staged fuel pumps,100lbs sound insulation,power/remote everything,2000W sound.4480lbs. 4.5s 0-60,12.8 1/4

Comment

My 87 wagon had it removed when I got it, I never really smelled much gas.
                        2020 F250 - 7.3 4x4 CCSB STX 3.55's - BAKFlip MX4
                        2005 Grand Marquis GS - Marauder sway bars, Marauder exhaust, KYB's
                        2003 Marauder - Trilogy # 8, JLT, kooks, 2.5" exhaust, 4.10's/31 spline, widened rear's, metco's, addco's, ridetech's 415hp/381tq
                        1987 Colony Park - 03+ frame swap, blown Gen II Coyote, 6R80, ridetechs, stainless works, absolute money pit. WIP

Comment

You have been lucky then. Here in Texas, when the elbow from the gas tank into the charcoal canister on my 88 rotted out, you could smell gas around it. And it was an outside car at the time.

Comment

Yeah most "emissions era" vehicles seem to be better with most of the emissions crap hooked up. When I first got my exhaust done, I had no air tubes or cats. This bastard smelled worse than most old cars with poorly-adjusted carburetors.

Comment

Behind the a/c line, you can see the fuel line with the broken rubber hose still attached. I am going to assume that this is the line going from the canister to the fuel tank? I found the other end of the solenoid wire that was severed; it was dangling in front of the engine. I tied it to another wire that leads to the solenoid. I will trace those wires and run new wire to get that solenoid working again. Might also run new fuel line to the tank if that broken line is what I think it is.

Packman

Comment

Working...
                              X